“Close to wharf” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Salelologa
Stirling, Australia
“Close to wharf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We arrived after a very bumpy ride on the ferry as the super moon made for very large seas. We were hungry after our overnight trip from Aus and the staff were happy to accommodate our request for a late breakfast. We loved the over the sea little hut we stayed in although I had reservations about the floor as it seemed that it was only the lino that was stopping me from falling through. The shower was really nice and dinner was quite acceptable if a little on the pricey side. The place is clean but I get the feeling that some structural maintenance would go a long way. The markets a ten minute walk although there is not much there. I feel for the owner who's boat caught fire and is just there. You can even see it in the Google photos. Jim is a lovely guy along with his staff and the more people that stay here the better for the future of all of Samoa. Savaii is worth spending more time in. We rented a car(which is cheaper than the mainland) to go to the Alofaaga Blowhole and also to Afu Aau Waterfall. I review these elsewhere. Canoeing is great as its well protected waters and you always see the colorful fish under the deck as the water is unbelievably clear.

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great place to stay! All the staff and locals were extremely welcoming and friendly. The food on offer was a good local fare. The fale's were very simple but comfortable. We stayed in one over the water and it was extremely peaceful (except during a storm, where it became much cooler and more exciting!). I wish we could've stayed for longer

Room Tip: Would highly recommend an over-water fale over garden chalets
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the third time I've stayed at Lusia's, Jim is excellent as a first point of contact with booking via email. On our arrival Tui was exceptional with his sincere meet and greet, what a lovely guy! Throughout our stay staff were more than helpful in all areas and only wanted to please! The bush setting is amazing as is the accommodation over the water, but bring your mossie repellent, unfortunately the bush comes with mozzies but thats just nature. It was such a beautiful morning I asked the girls if we could have our breakfast down on the communal deck, absolutely no problem and out came a table cloth too! Well done Jim and Tui, and our breakfast girls....
Stacee, Pete, Scott and Lee Ann

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great staff, great food, amazing chalets (we stayed over the lapping waves- can't get more peaceful than that!). Overall, a wonderful spot. Very convenient if you have to catch an early morning ferry to Upolu to stay here. I love their swimming area off the dock because it's calm, and you can feel cool spring water as well as the warm salty water. Not a ton of fish, but some- I wouldn't say it's a snorkel spot but you can kayak around for free and see the beauty of the lagoon.

I love how the land-based rooms are nestled in the midst of tall trees!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I love staying at Lusia's Lagoon and my two stays there were too brief. They have two kinds of rooms there and I stayed in the apartment style (vice huts on the water). The rooms are clean and neat and the A/C works great! The food at their restaurant is great and the staff is fun! The last best thing there is the easy access to the water... They have a great deck, ladder down to the water (don't jump onto the rock like I did), and a couple of kayaks free for guest use. I like it there a lot and the price is great!

Room Tip: I'm not a hut lover, so I suggest the apartment style rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed there for 8 nights in one of the beach fale. The fale are not big but they are clean and the view is great, there are turtles in the lagoon, it's quite good to wake up watching a turtle swimming next to your fale. We loved the food there, breakfast was really nice and the fish for dinner always fresh, we particularly enjoyed the grilled fish and the Poke!
The staff is very friendly and a particular thanks to Tui who made us laugh so much, love your dancing btw =)

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

After reading all of the great reviews of this place I went out of my way to make sure we stayed here on our trip to Savaii. Unfortunately I was disappointed. The rooms were really basic, relatively clean except for the bathroom which had scum all through the shower. The sheets and towels were all very old faded and some stained. The bed was uncomfortable and the walls incredibly thin. Instead of a few nights of peace and relaxation my partner and I had to listen to the night time activities of an older European couple. Thank goodness we didn't have kids with us. There are rave reviews about the food here and the restaurant is meant to be fantastic. I didn't see it once. I come from a family of foodies and chefs and the food was a let down from over cooked fish, under cooked crab, bad steak and generally way over priced for what you get. The staff although nice were very overbearing and seemed to not understand the concept of privacy. My partner and I found it really difficult to have a conversation with each other because for the duration of any meal the staff would constantly ask us questions and offer us things that other staff members had previously offered many times. We couldn't even hold a conversation because there were always members of staff around who seemed to think it appropriate to jump in and join the conversation throughout our meal. I get the way of life in Samoa is different but we did not experience anything like this anywhere else on Savaii. We even spoke to a Samoan girl who used to work at Lusias and confirmed that she shared similar feelings about the place.

On a positive note the breakfasts are nice and the manager (I think he was Canadian) was very helpful and always doing whatever he could to make the stay enjoyable.

To me Lusias does not reflect the Savaii we fell in love with. There are much better options for the price you pay and the service you receive.

I do not think I will return to Lusias.

Room Tip: The walls are thin so be very wary if you are next to people! You may hear things you do not want to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MGRLusiasLagoon, Front Office Manager at Lusia's Lagoon Chalets, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Greetings!

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience staying with us at Lusia's Lagoon Chalets last August. I am terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I only wish I would have known of your dissatisfaction so that I could have addressed the issues at the time.

As for the room you stayed in, I can't imagine the horror of trying to sleep through what you had to endure and I will look into spreading our guests out better when we have the availability. For the issue of cleanliness and old towels, there is no excuse and I have already addressed this issue with our housekeepers and since then we have replaced our older towels.

I am deeply sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the meals at the restaurant as you mentioned we usually do receive positive reviews.

I would like nothing more than to one day have an opportunity to make this up to you so if you do decide to come back to the island you fell in love with, please know that my door is open and I will do my best to give you the holiday experience you looking for.

Kind Regards,

Jim Metz
Front Office Manager
Lusia's Lagoon Chalets

Been to Lusia's Lagoon Chalets? Share your experiences!