My wife and I stayed at LR for 4 nights during our 2 wk vacation around Galapagos/Ecuador mainland and our experience at this hotel was by far the worst during our entire trip.
Consider these facts:
We chose to stay at their much touted presidential suite - the place is a joke!!
- shower not working (the head falls off the wall when you try to get decent water flow);
- dirty bathtub upon arrival - it took 2 visits to the front desk manager to get someone to clean it up.
- they always brought moist logs to fire the fireplace and so the room was choking in smoke - ended up not using it in the end.
- they did not even care to change a 2 or 3-week old bouquet of roses which was all long faded and the water in the vase was yellow with really bad smell. Maybe I am being too picky but this is definitely NOT would I expect paying $340 per night in a country where one can find a decent hotel for $50-70/night.
- if you want to have dinner you MUST get back to hotel before 9pm. At that time all hotel staff simply packs up and leaves for their homes in Banos - and the guests are left with only one person with no English at the front desk. Top-notch property for sure!
The biggest complaint is their ABSOLUTE lack of attention to our tour requests. The hotel offers their own adventure programs and it seemed that unless you sign up for one of those you are pretty much on your own to find your own tour guide, vehicle, etc - really annoying! Before we arrived we requested a private tour guide and a vehicle to be made avaiable for us for our entire stay - but our requests fell of deaf ears. So we ended up renting a taxi for full several days and no tour guide at all - just a book in our hands. Thank you, Carmen, very thoughtful of you!
They have only ONE tour guide - Andreas - with a postcard smile who was absolutely useless. He was not able (or maybe did not want?) to connect us to other tour guides in the area and his only advice was "read the hotel pamphlet". But the moment we would say that we are not interested in these standard offers and prefer to have a private tour escort, this guy would simply switch off and ignore our requests completely.
Re Carmen she is very proactive and was calling me in Toronto several times a day when she needed me to book her services, but the moment the money was paid - she disappeared. She did not even come out to greet us during our entire stay at her EMPTY hotel.
My wife and I are pretty well traveled and we recognize that not all services and amenities are avaiable in distant corners of the world. The things we were missing at Luna Runtun were not Kristal champagne bottles or some extravagant menu choices. It was the sheer ignorance of clients' requests by the hotel staff that made us really upset with staying at this "hotel".
If you want to enjoy your stay at Banos choose yourself a different hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA is a Romantic Hotel for couples, family or friends. It is located in Banos, 170 km (3 hours drive) from Quito, the capital of Ecuador, 300 km (5 hours drive) from Guayaquil and 62 km (1 hour drive) from the Amazon rainforest. The setting is unique, surrounded by mountains, 70 waterfalls and thermal water. Spring weather, with an average temperature of 17 - 25°C all year round, and some rainy days. Luna Runtun's 310 acres of unspoilt Andean forest are located on the oriental flank of the active Tungurahua volcano (5.016M), 400m above the charming town of Banos, gateway to the Amazon rainforest, surrounded by Sangay and Llanganates National Parks. Enjoy 25 adventure activities: 11 hikes, rafting, canyoning, biking, horse backriding, travelling throughout the countryside, Amazon rainforest and birdwatching programs; 25 SPA treatments, 4 pools and jacuzzi with hot volcanic water, Runtun Restaurant with fusion food, Cafe del Cielo with 34 varieties of coffee, themed rooms and Romantic Suites decorated exquisitely. With your loved one, family or friends; Luna Runtun has become the ideal place to celebrate special events: weekend getaways, vacations, relaxing, birthday, wedding anniversary, marriage proposal, honeymoon, reconciliations and romantic getaways. Our Adventure and SPA packages are the perfect combination for your trip to the Galapagos Islands. The volcano has been constantly active since 1999 and showers the sky with her spectacular show of fire and lava, allowing our visitors to partake in one of the world's most impressive natural fireworks displays from the safety of Luna Runtun and the charming town of Banos located in the secure area in the oriental flank of the volcano. Banos and Luna Runtun have not been affected by any type of material in the 16 eruptions in the last 400 years. The Basilica of Our Lady of Holy Water, built in 1944, is made of volcanic stones, as well as Banos City Hall. Adventure, rest, fun and a volcano in eruption. Welcome to the most complete destination in Ecuador! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Luna Runtun Adventure Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Runtun Hotel Banos