“Cheap Hostel in Baños” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hospedaje Santa Cruz

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banos
Hospedaje Santa Cruz
You added Hospedaje Santa Cruz to your Saves list
Calle 16 de deciembre, Banos, Ecuador   |
Ranked #29 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Banos
Salzburg, Austria
“Cheap Hostel in Baños”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Considered the low price (11,50 € per person in a double room with private bathroom) we think it was quite OK. There is a nice courtyard where you can relax after all the outdoor activities.
However the roof was leaking after heavy (which was repaired immediately) and the shower as well. As everything is kind of humid in Baños the blankets had a special smell, which was not so nice. Anyway if you are on a low budget and want private rooms this is a good option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The rooms are clean and perfectly nice. The staff is a little difficult to communicate with, but do fix problems. My hot water had an issue, but they let me use another room's shower and fixed things quickly.

There is a nice little grassy patio, with some hammocks to chill in. They have a screened-in seating area, with a fire pit. But the chimney doesn't seem to work, and the area fills up with smoke... and it's also where the computer is... so that's no good.

Overall, it's a perfectly nice hostel, though not very special. No breakfast, though the breakfast at sister hostel Plantas y Blanco (Plants and White) is very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Misahualli
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at the Santa Cruz in Banos. First I got a good price as it was not busy there because it was during the week instead of on a weekend. They have a common area with a fireplace which is nice except that the fireplace smokes really terribly. The other thing that contributes to the nasty smell of smoke is that they burn wet wood. So it is quite bad and the smoke is bad enough to go into the rooms. NOT Good. The room I stayed in for two nights was pretty good except for the smoke and the last night there I was in a different room and it was COLD and noisy. So unfortunately I did not get much sleep between the crane/duck crying, the roosters crowing, and the carts going by it was noisy all night. I told the woman at the front desk and her reply to me being cold was that I did not have anyone to sleep with.

Room Tip: This company owns two other hostals right in the area, so if you are unhappy with your room asked to...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

me and my girlfriend stayed there for a couple of nights and had no problems whatsoever. The rooms were clean, the shower worked good with hot water 24/7. the common area had a nice fireplace to have a beer by and the kitchen area, even if outside the actual hostel, was very well equipped.

the staff was great even -after- we departed. I took some clothes to the laundry on the next street and they gave it back with one sweatshirt missing. I only noticed when I was well on my way to cuenca. I Phoned the hostel, and they had the courtesy to look up the laundry, get back the sweatshirt and they even sent it back to me where I stayed in Quito! A really nice touch, worth going back there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I am actually writing this review while still in the hostel as I am so fed up and angry with our experience here. The hostel itself is nice, with large clean rooms, beds made each day and fresh towels each day. It is central and easy to get around the town - about a 10-minute easy walk from the bus station. The pleasantries end there.

The daytime staff include a man, his wife and their child, who alternates between playing, crying and banging me in the arm with a plant pot as I sit in the patio area. None of the three (apart from the 2-year old) even raise their heads when walk into the hostel, and treat the shared patio area as their own, watching TV all day and using the guest computer.

They are lovely compared to the rude idiot who constitutes night staff. Walking around scratching himself, he sighs everytime the door is rung to let someone in, he tells us off for not shutting the front door, despite the fact he was propping the door open himself when we arrived, talking very loudly to his friends who come around every night playing loud music from their car. This evening, after not even saying hello during the hour we have been sitting in the same area, both my boyfriend and I say ´Buenos Noches´. Seperately. And he ignores us. Doesn´t even lift his head. His friends have been here playing cards and drinking beer until late each of the three evenings we have been here, again commandering the hostel patio for themselves leaving the paying customers to stay in their bedrooms.

A real shame, as the hostel itself is lovely.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Berne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

the room was clean and apart from an early noise in the morning it was quiet. As we are early risers the noise did not bother us. Breakfast is a bit doggy, much better to go to their sister hotel Plantas y Bianco which has a beautiful roof top restaurant. Santa Cruz is not very geared up for breakfast and if you don't booked it ahead of time they will not be ready for making one. The staff was OK, we got what we needed, so no complaints there. It was an OK place for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

The hostel appear on the lonely planet.
The rooms are good, and nice kitchen.

However, the personal that works at night time is horrible. We asked him to access the safety box and he said he has no key. Only After we insisted he got the key out.
The guy sleeps in his car instead of working and instill a bad atmosphere.
At 10:30 he closes the lights everywhere although people are still using the public areas, just that he could get back to sleep.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hospedaje Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!