“Excellent food, excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 82 Restaurants in Banos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Swiss, International, Fondue
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Swiss Bistro Banos, your gastronomic meeting point at the entrance of the amazonian rain forest. Since 2008 we offer Swiss & European specialties in a unique and authentic atmosphere. This year we added a terrasse lounge to enjoy the same dishes in a peacefull and relaxing garden in the center of Banos. Our professional Team will welcome you like at home to enjoy: - Swiss cheese fondue - Meat fondue - Selection of roestis - Meat & fish specialties - Deserts, hot chocolates and delicious coffees - Quality wines & spirits Bon appetit!
Quito
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

An excellent place for excellent food and outstanding services. The terrace is really nice to have lunch and the restaurant looks really warm.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Basel, Switzerland
“good swiss food in Ecuador”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

we found a piece of Home in Banos :) the restaurant was really nice and has a nice terrace.
service was good, food was good, price was good
Loved the chocolate fondue!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Quito
“Amazing food in Banos!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Me and my husband go to Banos pretty often, have been to several restaurants there and we just LOVE the Swiss Bistro...it's a must in Banos! The steaks are out of this world - simply perfect! Also the Roestis are wonderful as well as several other dishes I tried. Absolutely no complaints! Reasonably priced for what is offered, especially compared to restaurants in Quito, where you would a lot more for the same quality. The atmosphere is really nice - we especially loved the patio on the upper floor, where we could sit outside. Sometimes the service is slow, especially when the restaurant is crowded. Definitely highly recommended - I am already looking forward to my next visit!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pound Ridge, New York
“Worth a visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Been in town a couple of weeks now, and ate at the Swiss Bistro this evening, solo.

Admittedly, this review is based on one visit, ordering one item.

Had the Hungarian Goulash. It was what you might expect from a good NY/NJ diner (which is a compliment.) The meat was not rubbery, which is all too often the case in Ecuador. Nice crispy side salad with good dressing. Service was fast, friendly and efficient.

While I've only been in Baños a couple of weeks, I've been in Ecuador for ten months. There are two standards by which I measure an establishment in a foreign country. Local and US/international. By local standards, this place was quite good, but not someplace I would rave about (and every town, including Baños, does have a few of those.) By "back home" (New York) standards, it might be a place I would stop at for a bite or takeout on the way home if it was convenient.

On the downside, I had a "cappuccino" that was the worst I've had in town. Admittedly, this was equally my "fault" and theirs, so I'm taking half the responsibility. There are plenty of great coffee places in this town. Should have known better than to order one at a steak house, any more than I would order a steak at a coffee shop. Should also have noticed the crappy coffee maker sitting right in front of me. On the other hand, if it's on the menu...get yourself a half-decent coffee maker, especially in a town full of expensive, imported ones.

Seating mostly indoors, with a couple of tables outside where I sat, as it was a nice night. Total $12.00. As is the case anywhere in Ecuador, you can eat at a local Ecuadorian place for about half this price, or dine at a "gringo" place, either owned by or catering to foreigners, and priced accordingly.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nice, France
“Mediocre food, experience ruined by bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to celebrate our final night in Banos by heading to the Swiss Bistro. We were seated on the back patio, which has nice lighting and a really pleasant atmosphere. After selecting an apératif and appetizer to share, we began waiting for our waiter or waitress to come over. We finally got to order and were looking forward to the meal. The appetizer (a mixed plate with salami, cheese, and gherkins) was enjoyable. In fact, I wish we would have stopped there. I ordered the goulash, which came out somewhat dry and unappetizing. I ate maybe half of it. My boyfriend ordered the pork with a raspberry (?--some berry in any case) coulis. I have to say that his coulis was very good, but the pork was overcooked (dry) and lacking in taste. Once I gave up on my goulash, I went for my green salad. Unfortunately I had to stop after one bite, as I nearly broke a tooth on a rock in it. Yes, a large pebble had found its way into my salad.
Now I understand that accidents can happen. But when ones like this do, staff should be apologetic. This wasn't a hair in my food, which is not fun but at least not dangerous; this is a rock in something I bit down hard on, causing me actual pain. After waiting nearly 10 minutes to get the attention of some waitstaff to clear our plates, we mentioned the rock. "Oh," was the response. Then after another 10 minutes we managed to get our check. We went down and talked to the owner. "Sorry for the 'inconvenience,'" he told us coldly. No apologetic tone, just a reference to "inconvenience," as if we had not been seated at the time of our reservation or something.
I would not recommend this place to anyone. We ate at a number of better places, with great service and no problems with food! Furthermore, as we live in France and have spent time in Switzerland, I wouldn't say the food does Swiss cuisine justice!

• Visited March 2013