“Not what their web site sells...at all!” 2 of 5 stars

Miramelindo Spa Hotel
Parroquia Rio Verde, Banos, Ecuador   |
Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Banos
South Jordan, Utah
“Not what their web site sells...at all!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Do not be fooled by the very well put together marketing on the Miramelindo web site.

First off, the sign to the place is not very visible as the sign colors offer little contrast. We passed right by it. No biggie, but it should be addressed.

Upon arrival around 2pm, the man in charge of the place had trouble finding our reservation in the book. Then, He took me to show me our two reserved rooms (4 adults, 1 child). We went upstairs, turned the corner and across the hallway entrance was a pinned-up sheet. He moved it aside and motioned me to pass. As I did, I saw why the sheet was there...the room next to mine had a hole blasted in the wall with rebar sticking out and dust and rubble all over the floor. He acted like nothing. I told him this would not work. So then he took me to their "cabana" next to the pool which was a nice little cabin with kitchenette, queen bed, and bunk beds. I said that this would be fine for my family of three, but we still needed a room for my in-laws. So, then he told me to follow him again, we went outside the hotel property and across the street toward some dilapidated looking lot where he said the other room was. Of course I told him no way that my family needed to be all in one building. So, we waited for him to clean a different room. And we waited, and we waited. An hour later my in-laws room was ready and so was ours so we separated and went to get some rest from our travels. Ten minutes later, my father in law returns to tell the man that somehow its hard to rest when there is a jackhammer blasting away in the next room! At that point, I said I would figure out how we could all sleep in the cabana. And we did. My wife and i on the bottom bunk, the inlaws on the queen bed, and my son on the chaise chair in the room. Not the best, but altogether, and safe (or so we thought).

The next thing we noticed is the pool. One of the reasons I chose this place was that they had a really nice pool in the pictures on their web site. Well, it was nothing like that (pics to follow). It was green as can be. Scratch that for my son...big disappointment.

Breakfast the next morning was pretty good, but they could not seem to figure out how to cook a soft-boiled egg no matter how we explained it (and we speak spanish).

We left for the day's adventures, returning at around 3pm to rest after all the hiking and shopping. Shortly after we laid down for our siestas, this huge ruckus kicked up outside our cabana windows. It sounded like a school play yard. After a few minutes I went outside to see about twelve or so 8-12 year old boys jumping in the pool and goofing off. I went to the same man-in-charge and asked him if these children were from guests to which he replied "Oh, no, these children are from the barrio over there". Great. So he said he would ask them to quiet down. Nice. Just what every hotel that sells itself on peace and tranquility should have...12 kids from the local pueblo! Of course they could not stay quiet and an hour later after asking him two more times he finally told them to take a hike. Thanks.

Next day.

We decide to go for our day's adventures. As we left, my wife noticed a little boy slip in through the wide-open front gates and walk down the path to our cabana carrying something silver. I hop out of the car across the street, go inside the grounds and over to our cabana where I see him fiddling with the window. My wife and I tell him to get lost and show us what he had in his pocket. Sure enough, a small metal toy bent to jimmy a window. I told the man-in-charge and he told me he would look into it. By this time the boy is still loitering outside the hotel walls and the gates are still open. I go check the cabana and to my horror the window was in fact, ajar. Additionally, the latch on the other window was completely broken and anyone could just push the window open. Again, I told the man-in-charge and he nodded, smiled and said he would fix it -- never did -- pic below.

Finally, at check out, I told the man-in-charge that I would not pay full price since we had one room not two and had to squeeze into that one -- not what I reserved. He told me that usually they charge $25 per person but that he would lower it to $20. Nice guy, huh? I told him no way and that the most I would pay is $140 total (instead of my previously agreed $225 for the two rooms and two nights) and that was generous. He refused and tried to call the owner...wasted 40 minutes more of my time. He could not get a hold of the owner. I gave him the $140 and left.

Maybe it was an anomaly, but why take a chance -- Take my advice - STAY AWAY.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Miramelindo is located right by the river Rio Verde and within walking distance to the Pailon del Diablo, at an awesome location and is a very comfortable Hosteria.
My teenage daughter and I traveled with my mother and 2 sisters with their families (8 in total). Patricia and Manuel, the owners, made us feel at home and very helpful. The food was amazing. All I can say is that I would definitely recommend staying at Miramelindo

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Miramelindo Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!