“Just great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 44 Ushuaia B&B and Inns
“Just great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Highly recommended b&b
clean,comfy, nice breakfast and very helpful staff.
All the information you need about ushuaia you can get from rosario and roberto.
They even booked our next hostel for us and took us there.
Pricey compared to an avarage hostel but you get much more.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at Mysten Kepen in January 2014 and overall, had a positive experience. We were in a room with a queen bed and a private bath, which was nice. The room is very basic, though it did have a TV with a few english-speaking channels. The room itself felt more like a private room in a hostel, rather than a B&B, though it was very clean. There isn't really a place to "lounge" besides the room, as the main TV area is also the family's TV room, so they were in there most of the time.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the city of Ushuaia in general, which is perhaps why my rating of Mysten Kepen is a bit on the average side, as well. Ushuaia seems to have a lot of homes that need major restoration and better upkeep. I don't think I would have felt safe walking alone back to Mysten Kepen in the dark from the city center. There is an abandoned house on the same street, lots of roaming, loose dogs, and there is grafitti on the house next door to Mysten Kepen, which of course is not an insult to the B&B, but it just makes me question safety and respect levels around the city, in general.

The family is very welcoming, though their English is minimal. i was thankful they were so gracious about my abysmal Spanish! I had some confusion checking out the last day, as I thought I had already paid through Booking.com, but in fact, had not. I wish my communication with the hosts had been better, as they of course needed to be paid the morning we left, but I was caught off guard. I completely understand that they need to get their money, but the English-Spanish translation was not good and we were lucky we happened to have 3500 pesos, as the hosts only accepted cash! Many of the ATMs in Ushuaia don't have cash (for real) so we were just really fortunate we weren't in an uncomfortable situation in which we weren't able to pay them. I would recommend if the hosts are in that situation in the future, they remind the guests upon check in that they need to pay at the end and that they only accept cash.

One final thing that made me feel a little bit awkward is that I had read all of these reviews about how Roberto, the host, had picked various guests up at the airport and also dropped them off…this was true for us, but he charged 60 pesos. No big deal, but I don't want you to read these reviews and think you will get a free ride!

Long story short, I truly do believe Mysten Kepen is the #1 B&B in Ushuaia, but for people who have stayed in lots of B&Bs, please don't think this will be a fancy experience.

Room Tip: Try to get the one private room with it's private bath!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

small B&B, very small rooms, so be careful with big suitcase, but owners are so friendly and helpful. Although their English is minimal, and our spanish less than basic we were able to organize everything with them.
They had work done for an extension and hence it was louder during the day, but since we were out exploring it didn't matter.
Location is ok, as it is a short walk into the busier center.

Room Tip: any room is ok.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband arrived in Ushuaia from Puerto Williams as the last leg of our four month bike trip through Chile, Argentina and Bolivia. The weather had been windy, cold, rainy and even snowing. We were tired after a 5000 km bicycle ride! Rosario and Roberto and their family were the perfect hosts, so warm, helpful, and welcoming. We made their home our home for 12 days, and felt completely relaxed and cared for. Their rooms are bright, very clean, comfortable, and spacious. The breakfasts put all that weight I lost on the bike trip back on in no time. We loved our stay with this family and highly recommend it to anyone, including families, Margaret

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice....
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This B&B is small and rather simple, yet very comfortable and impeccably clean. What really sets it apart is the attention from its owners Rosario and Roberto, who go out of their way to make sure you get the most of your stay. From tips and extensive information on activities, tour or car rental coordination, to lunchbox preparation for tours or airport transfer, they are always available and willing to help out. The whole family lives on the same building so you can feel a genuine homely atmosphere (we are native Spanish speakers so not sure about their English though).
The only drawback to the place is its location, about 500 meters from the city centre on rather steep streets (pretty much everything outside the centre in Ushuaia is on steep streets). This is not too bad anyway, specially considering it is really worth renting a car to make the most of the surrounding area ( the owners would even drive you to the rental agency :) ).
A highlight of our visit, I would definitely go back to and recommend Mysten Kepen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
buenos aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've visited Mysten Kepen in March 13. I had made reservations for three nights but due to a problem with the airline I had to re schedule my whole trip to Ushuaia and El Calafate at the last minute and ended staying only one night in Usuahia. Rosario and her husband were kind enough to cancel the original reservation without any extra charge. Such an understanding is amazing and hard to find. Thanks Mysten Kepen for your hospitality. I certainly would like to come back. The place is great, impecable, warm and well located. Search no more. If you want a family feeling, this is it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at Mysten Kepen (which means sleep well) and we loved it from the very first second! Our tripleroom ensuite was lovely! The whole room was cleaned every day. The bathroom was big as well and having a shower there was awesome! So much hot water! The breakfast is really good (the best breakfast we had so far in Argentina and South America). Rosario y Roberto make self made bread and jam which is so delicious. The variety of the breakfast is perfect. Rosario y Roberto are lovely people as well as their family. They help you whenever needed. It was really nice to have a daily chat with them and even though our Spanish is quite basic, they enjoyed it a lot. The location is around 7 min away from the main avenue San Martin and there's a small mini mercado right around the house.
We used the kitchen every night to prepare our dinner. Cooking in this kitchen was wonderful. We never saw such a clean kitchen in whole South America so far.
It was a perfect stay and if we could, we would have stayed even longer. Best place we stayed so far!!!!! Thanks! Saludo, three friends from Switzerland

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Mysten Kepen B&B? Share your experiences!