“ok if you have time and patience” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“ok if you have time and patience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife went to Chiko hoping we would finally eat a ceviche. There was indeed one in the menu, but they were not serving it actually. Then we decided to have shrimps on garlic as starter, which was quite tasteless (i.e, almost no garlic). Main dishes were only ok and we had to wait more than an hour to have them served. Service at all was chaotic. Would hardly come back (maybe if they start serving the ceviche they offer in the menu).

Berlin, Germany
“Best meat in Ushuaia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went there two times and we really enjoyed the meat there! As it was pointed out by other reviewers you will have to wait quite some time to get your food, but if you are prepared for that you'll enjoy the best "bife de lomo" there is. They also offer a good choice of wines. I'd also recommend to make a reservation in advance. The place fills up quite fast after 9pm.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Amazing seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We had some fantastic seafood at Chiko. The calamari starter was great, the centolla (crab) was perfect and even the basic fried fish was excellent. Highly recommended and not particularly expensive.

Visited April 2012
Gdynia, Poland
“lovely chilean meats / seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

seems like the best price / quality ratio in Ushuaia, which is generally overpriced compared to non-touristic destinations in Argentina

Visited March 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“I wouldn't have minded the abysmal service as much if the food had actually been good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I don't like writing bad reviews, but I was so frustrated by my experience at this restaurant that planning this review was the only thing that made the wait for the check tolerable.
I can't help wondering if I went to a completely different restaurant from most of the other reviewers. Even though we were one of the first three tables in the restaurant tonight, it took forever for them to take our order and then produce any food. Which made me wonder all the more why our dinners were so overcooked -- if you're going to make me wait for my dinner, please don't do it because you're overcooking it. My sauce was OK but nothing to die for; plus, one of my dining companions tasted mine and commented that she couldn't taste the crab that was supposed to be part of the stuffing. To add insult to injury, just getting the check took at least half an hour.

The place did feel understaffed (two people waiting tables and one tending the bar and cash register), but given that the tables were at most 2/3 full at the most crowded, I would only see service getting worse as the place filled up.

Clearly this can't have been a totally typical experience given that people kept coming in (and being turned away, although there were empty tables) all night. Perhaps it's just very uneven...that said, for $64-$100 pesos per entree, I think I'd rather risk my money at another place that's more reliably good.

• Visited February 2012