“Terrible, ruined our stay in ushuaia” 1 of 5 stars

Familia Piatti
Bahia Paraiso 812, Ushuaia, Argentina   |
Ranked #35 of 55 hotels in Ushuaia
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Terrible, ruined our stay in ushuaia”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I never really write reviews but wanted to warn other travellers for this B&B. We first stayed in the room connected to the owners house, it was awfull (dirty, very mouldy, drafty, cold (couldn't sleep because of it), old dirty sheets, very outdated). Terrible to be so unhappy at the beginning of your travels. (See foto's I uploaded).

We asked for a different room, this was better, but still not great (very noisy, we could hear our neighbours on the toilet!, dirty sheets, duvet with stains, heating controlled from owners house, no toilet paper, not cleaned properly). Futhermore location very far, which sucks because the weather usually cold, and road not friendly for walking (and we like walking!) so we ended up having tot take a taxi the whole time.

To make things worse, the owner has a different exchange rate for argentine pesos to dollars. We were warned by this because of tripadvisor and we prepared for a discussion.

We left with a terrible feeling, it really ruined our stay in Ushuaia.

Positives: Javier speaks good english, wifi works, and breakfast is fine.

Conclusion: Do not book!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed in Familia Piatti B&B for 3 nights on 22-25 January 2014. I was ready to give Piatti B&B a benefit of a doubt, given the good review in the tripadvisor. However, in my experience, Piatti B&B fell far from delivering what he promised in his website, and I would not recommend this place.

To be objective, there are also positive parts of this B&B: For a start, the room is warm, reasonably clean, and spacious with a mezzanine, large window with a view to a forested area. There’s wifi in the room. The proprietor also took the initiative to book me the transport to the National Park door-to-door. The breakfast was brought to the room. The proprietor also lend me his raincoat / windbreaker because I forgot to bring mine.

Prior to staying here, I also have been aware that the location is a bit far from the city center, approximately 15-20 minutes walk. I thought this would be manageable for me, but the weather during my stay turned out to be rainy and cold, making the walk not so pleasant. Besides, the walk to the city center is not really scenic, because it’s basically going along Ruta Nacional no.3 (an expressway), which is not at all a park-like environment. However, one can easily overcome this by taxi, which costs about ARS 25 (Jan 2014). Besides there are no restaurant or food options around the area, and the B&B only provides breakfast (not sure if other meals are available as an optional service). Next time I come to Ushuaia, I would opt for a more central location for ease of access to attraction, food, and transport without going through a long cold walk.

The negative parts are:

1) The proprietor had promised to arrange transfers from and to the airport when I booked around 6 weeks before my arrival. I confirmed this again two days before my arrival, but the proprietor this time told me that he would not be able to arrange for a pick up because at the time of my arrival he would be busy preparing breakfast. He asked me to take a taxi from the airport. Luckily it was easy for me to get a cab. He later “reimbursed” me for my taxi by deducting my hotel payment at a rate of ARS 11 for a dollar (Taxi was 66 pesos). However, when I received the receipt for my hotel payment (which I had done in US dollar), he denominated it in ARS using the rate of ARS 7.7 to a dollar. Had he used the same rate, the deduction for my taxi would be USD 8.5 instead of 6, and using the written peso my room would be cheaper.

2) Although the bedsheet and pillowcase were replaced upon my arrival, the duvet was not replaced from the previous guest. The duvet was simply sprayed with a fabric freshener and reused for my bed.

3) The website indicated that the room includes fridge, microwave, hairdryer, and bedsheet was “natural Egyptian”, in my room there were NONE of those.

4) I was only given one tiny bar of soap and no shampoo/conditioner – unlike in other B&B I went to during my trip. I had to wash my hair using the bar of soap. Besides, the floor mat in the bathroom was not replaced from the previous guest.

5) Although the room is spacious, the wall is thin, and as a result, I can hear the neighboring guests activities, even their snores.

6) The room was supposed to be cleaned daily. However, one day I stayed in my room a bit late (until 11:30am), and when I returned at 9:30pm, my room was not cleaned. Even the breakfast tray and leftover food was still on the table.

7) I asked the proprietor to help me book a trekking trip to Laguna Esmeralda. Later, he told me that the trip is unavailable on the day I wanted. I don’t believe him entirely because I am sure that among many tour operators in Ushuaia, at least one must operate on the day I want. Nevertheless I didn’t make a big fuss because I ended up arranging my own trip on that day.

8) Lastly, I am very disappointed with my departure experience. Two days prior departure I told the proprietor my departure schedule and preferred hour for breakfast. One day before departure, I told him again my schedule and time for breakfast, twice, when he was giving my breakfast on that day. We agreed that he would give my breakfast at 6:45, and that taxi would be available at 7:45 because my flight is 9:10. During the departure day, I waited, and no breakfast arrived at 7:20 until I knock the proprietor’s house asking about my breakfast and airport transfer. He was not ready with both of them. He said that he had forgotten what we had agreed, and defended himself saying that he tried to check with me by knocking my room and I didn’t answer. Not a good answer: if he really wanted to reach me to ask, he could have slipped a note under my door or email me (there’s wifi in my room, besides we have been in touch by email for booking!). I told him that I had mentioned my schedule twice, and he apologized again saying that he didn’t have his notebook with him at that time (really bad excuse). I was angry and almost late for the airport. He finally booked me a radio taxi which arrived at 7:45. I was suspicious that this taxi would end up being paid by me in the airport, so I pre-empt by telling the taxi driver that the proprietor would pay for the taxi. Granted, the taxi driver was unaware that the transfer should be pre-paid, so I brought him in to see the proprietor, who also didn’t expect that I would come in to ask him for the taxi payment before going to the airport. Finally the taxi driver and the proprietor agreed for taxi pre-payment.

In conclusion, my negative experience outweighs the positive ones, and not possible for me to recommend this place. This lengthy review outlines my actual experience in the B&B. The proprietor speaks good English and we corresponded by email many times, so I do not think communication had been an issue to warrant this experience. I had far better experience in other B&Bs in Argentina.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had a very bad experience at Familia Piatti. First of all, we had a room in the family house which was cold and dirty. The sheets were not clean and the room smelled lime mould. The bathroom was totally outdated and invested by mouldy spots. We did not even dare to sleep under the sheets and used our sleeping bags instead. In addition we were cold the entire night. We requested and did get another room for the subsequent nights in another house which was much better but still not up to the standards you would expect for the price we payed.
When we left the owner requested much more money in pesos than the official exchange rate (nearly twice as much 11pesos per dollar instead of 6.6). The booking told us to pay in pesos, and coming from Europe we do not carry dollars, which the owner did not accept. We got into an argument after which we called booking.com. They very kindly intervened with the owner after which he finally allowed us to pay the amount as specified in the booking in pesos. We left feeling very dissatisfied. During our next month of travels we have never seen a hotel as bad and overpriced as this one. The accommodation is pretty far from the city.
Advice: do not book this hotel. It is entirely overpriced and poor quality.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The room is big, clean, and cozy. The bathroom is medium, clean. The shower could be bigger
The breakfast is simple but delicious, with fresh organge juice and croissant. The owner is very gentle and helpful. The only negative point for some people could be the location, it is not in the center, it is about 15 min walking. For us it was not a problem at all as we like walking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Netanya, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Javier (the owner) contacted us by e-mail a few days before we arrived and offered to pre-order transportation from the Airport to the B&B, which was very convenient (and saved us the trouble of finding out where exactly is the B&B and how to explain it to a non-English speaking taxi driver).

We arrived at Familia Piatti B&B a bit earlier than the check-in time.
Javier is very kind, and speaks fluent English. He offered that we walk around the city while the room is being prepared, and also recommended different activities in the city, places to eat, where to shop for groceries, etc.
Javier helped us booking excursions and arranging transportation when required.

The room is very cozy, neat and clean. Breakfast hours are flexible and brought directly to the room by Javier. The B&B is 15 minutes of walk from the city center (we didn't find it as problem).

I definitely recommend the place!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Javier is awesome! He is really really helpful, booked us a Beagle Channel boat trip, gave us tips about places to go and helped us with EVERYTHING we needed. Free internet, breakfast is delicious, the room is cozy, everything is neat and clean. The place is peaceful, the window view is gorgeous in the winter time. Town is a 15-minute walk or a 10 Argentine Pesos, which is no problem. I highly recommend Familia Piatti!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed there twice for a total of 5 nights and recommend it. My room was clean and cozy. Javier, the owner, is very nice and accommodating. The wi-fi was convenient and easy. Javier was very helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction when needed. The breakfast was a basic continental breakfast and no complaints abut it. The walk to town was between 10 to 15 minutes only and Javier was helpful in getting when desired. I recommend theis place. I paid 225 AR a night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Familia Piatti? Share your experiences!