“Decent food, beautiful view” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 99 Restaurants in Ushuaia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, Contemporary, Continental, Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: SUNDAY CLOSED
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent food, beautiful view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Situated on top of what resembles a slightly scrappy vista, Maria Lola has a driveway like an estate, an approach that makes you feel like you're ambushing a trailer (bad idea to make your kitchen's back door the first thing customers see!), and a front with great glass windows and a breathtaking view of Ushuaia that is absolutely to die for.

Maria Lola is worth a visit just for the view, but be prepared for slightly overpriced food. My lomo was a bit overcooked, paired with a weird raspberry sauce and didn't taste very fresh. I've heard the seafood is good, but I didn't get a chance to try it so take my rating with a grain of salt (which my lomo could have used...) Then again, the service and ambiance screams fine dining, and the food is comparable to most of the middle-of-the-road Ushuaian offerings at worst. So if you're in Ushuaia for a few days and want a beautiful romantic dinner experience, I would still definitely recommend Maria Lola.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, NSW
“Great meal -amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had dinner here one night in Ushuaia. A friend had been there for lunch and loved it so much that they wanted to go back for dinner. I understand why.
The calamaria entree is beautiful and the rest of the seafood is amazing. Desserts a must.
A little up market, but worth the money and the wander up from main street.

Visited April 2013
Drammen, Norway
“Tasteless fish soup”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had lunch there and decided to try the fish soup. It was a thin watery soup without taste. Too bad, because it is nicely located with a good view over the town and sea. Maybe the other dishes taste better...

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Spectacular view, lovely service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Two friends and I arrived here on a busy night with no reservation, but they didn't seem to hold it against us. In fact, they gave us a lovely table, right next to the window which overlooked the twinkly lights of Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel. Beautiful. It was warm and welcoming inside.

The menu looked reasonably extensive, but, once we noted that they had the famed Patagonian Toothfish (merluza negra) on the menu, we looked no further. It was beautifully prepared, firm and moist, served in a light sauce tasting of tomato and capsicum. Although it broke the rules, we washed it down with a mellow Argentinian malbec.

Our young waiter was very helpful and attentive, was very patient with our attempts at his language and displayed a sweet disposition. We felt that we had to leave a decent sized tip. I left Ushuaia the next day, but my friends liked it so much that they went back and were upset to find that they closed on Sundays.

I can still taste that toothfish.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went here about 3 and a half months ago when we were in Argentina and I am STILL thinking about how amazing the salmon ravoli was! If you are a pasta lover, I really recommend this restaurant. The view was pretty sensational too.

• Visited December 2012