“Surprise package” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 71 hotels in El Calafate
Sydney, Australia
“Surprise package”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I must admit that our first impression of the hotel was "Oh no!". But as soon as we entered, we were greeted by one of their managers who was helpful, friendly and so keen to give us our welcoming drink (homemade red wine served cold, surprisingly nice!). In addition, he carried our heavy bags to our room and decline a tip. Talking about A+ service!

The hotel was a bit quirky but in a good way. They dyed their bread just for fun and everyday they had different colours. And here we were thinking it was the glacier water...

Hebe, who is one of the managers, was very helpful. He recommended a few places for dinner and they were spot on. We loved their homemade red wine so much that they gave us a bottle for free when we left. So, would i stay here again you asked? Abso"bloody"lutely!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed there by myself for 3 days (2 nights). The hotel itself is not located in the main street but within a walking distance. It up a small hill and has a magnificent view of the Lago Argentino. The room was nice and clean, and also the bathroom. The TV had a few channels in English which was nice. I used the massage service after taking the "Big Ice" trek on the glacier, and apparently not al hotels offer this service, so I was lucky. Being vegan it wasn't easy to manage with food but the staff was very attentive and went along with all my meshigines. There's free Wi-Fi in the lobby area which was very useful. I was lucky to be there on days with quite warm weather and no rain so the heating was too much for me, so I left the window open at night. My sister who stayed there 3 months before told me it was freezing so the heating is a must. I would definitely go there again if I ever revisit El Calafate, and I warmly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a view to the lake. Better ask for the rooms in the top floor if you like to...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011 via mobile

Would highly recommend to stay here. Can walk into town and back though up hill on way home but Taxi s are cheap staff are friendly and very helpful food good too

• Stayed December 2011
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The manager Daniel made us feel at home, he was very helpful in our stay.

The pool are wonderful and it´s great to relax a little at the end of the day (i can´t remember for sure... but guess the pool is not open at night).

The hotel is around 4 or 5 blocks away from the 'center avenue' of the city... but the city is so small (basically one avenue) that you can walk. but if you need taxis, it wont cost you more than 5 dollars.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews! Upon arrival, we were greeted with a less than friendly staff. The woman on staff was consistently grouchy and annoyed, especially when I made a mistake on the registration form and she had to rip it up, twice! When I inquired if they had fruit for breakfast, I was told I would only find fruit at a 4 star hotel. Note: the photo on the Shehuen website not only shows fruit, but ham and cheese as well. I have stayed at other 3 star hotels in Argentina, and the breakfast is always the same: fruit, breads, cheese, ham, yogurts, etc. The breads offered were stale, possibly the worst medialunas in all of Argentina, no fruit, no ham, no cheese. The locks on the hotel room doors barely work. The pool is nice and the view is nice, that is it. The first day, the showers were great, the rest of the vacation, I had to sit in the bottom of the tub to try to rinse the soap and shampoo off my body. The woman on staff was so horrendous, we privately and sarcastically nicknamed her "Happy". If you are looking for a pool and a view, stay here, but for all other reasons, choose another hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is my review as an travel agent , the hotel is very nice and it is located ten blocks from then center of the town on an elevated place.
It is catalogated as a 3 stars hotel, but i think that it could be a 4 stars sooner, the view from the restaurant and lobby is very beauty. The rooms are comfortable, nice and clean.
A chapter apart are the attention of the personal, the clerks are the nicest people i have meet in argentinian hotels, the woman of the morning shift and the man in the night are very gentle.
I recomend this hotel for vacations if you want a 3/4 stars hotel at a nice price.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2006

This is a very well located "Hosteria", with a magnific view to Lago Argentino. Quite nearby to the city center (only a few minutes walk). People is very polite, dedicated and do all necessary things to make you feel "at home". I really recomend it.

Been to Shehuen Hotel? Share your experiences!