“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in El Calafate
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We checked in here at the last minute because we were not happy with the hotel we originally selected. The staff are very helpful and the design, facilities and rooms are very good. It is walking distance to town also.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fën H, Gerente at Esplendor El Calafate, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Linda :
I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor.
Your comments encourage us to continue working on improving the quality of our accommodations and services.
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Pros:
- Nice and modern layout/design, comfortable rooms.
Cons:
- personnel needs training - asked a front desk lady to help book an excursion and she could not help - we had to do it ourselves.
- poor internet
- breakfasts could have more variety and of better quality

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fën H, Gerente at Esplendor El Calafate, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest, Member of trip advisor:

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We were a little concerned at the experience we would have at this hotel as we checked in. We approached the desk and the receptionist was on the telephone. We were not even acknowledged for several minutes and no apology given when we did finally get his attention. The rooms and public spaces were however good with 'trendy' decor and modern furnishings. The hotel is not downtown but we found it an easy ten minute walk to the Main Street - even up hill on the way back. Breakfast had a lack of fresh fruit but plenty of choice of cakes and sweet pastries so more healthy options would be preferable. Not a good first impression but overall a good choice

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Garrywb,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Arriving in beautiful El Calafate, I expected the hotel El Splendor Calafate to be equally as inviting. No. They had magically lost our friends' reservation even though it had been made in April for December. Eventually, after an hour of explaining, the receptionist (not particularly nice) admitted that it was their central reservation's fault and gave my friends a room for 3 nights. Unfortunately, we did not have the same fate. We were given the only room available (they said) BUT we would have to change after one night. We too, had booked in April for December. I had, additionally, called up from my previous hotels in other parts of Argentina just to reconfirm our reservation. I found out , after the fact, that indeed there were other rooms BUT they were being held for other patrons. Perhaps because I went through Hotels.com, they were not eager to please.
Aside from having to change rooms, the walk up to the hotel from town is possible, but strenuous. It is straight up a large , dusty, uphill street.
The rooms are OK but show wear although this is a fairly new hotel. The breakfast was skimpy- no made to order eggs, etc.
The reception staff, more importantly, did NOT all speak English. Most requests or questions were understood, but not all. I would think that an international tourist spot would require English speakers to be at reception.
I had wonderful experiences throughout my Argentinian trip except for this hotel.

Room Tip: I cannot advise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fën H, Gerente at Esplendor El Calafate, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Michele,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I loved this hotel. It was unique and overlooked the city of El Calafate and Lake Argentina. It was just a short walk (maybe 10 minutes) from the city center. The staff was amazing and helped us book a great tour. The staff also let us enjoy the amenities of the hotel long after we checked out because we had a late night flight. We checked our bags with the desk and enjoyed the beautiful lobby to read and then had wine in the bar. I highly recommend this hotel!
TIP - be sure to sign up for the Esplendor rewards program to get a discount before you book!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks El Calafate and Lake Argentina. It is beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fën H, Gerente at Esplendor El Calafate, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Ron C,

Central
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel's location is great, short 5-10 min to the main street, has great views, is quiet, very helpful concierge who assisted in liaising with our airlines (our baggage was delayed), breakfast was wonderful with nice spread and variety.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor with a view/away from elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Fën H, Gerente at Esplendor El Calafate, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Forrader ,
It´s a big pleasure to talk with you again!
Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services.
I will definitively share them with my staff!!.
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel is really pretty, and the room we got was wonderful: big, beautifully decorated, with an excellent bed, plenty of surfaces to put stuff on, and an awesome bathroom (best we had in Argentina by far).
The hotel is located in a bit of a high point, with really nice views, but still close to the center, the landscaping is nice and well-designed and the interior is really great. The spa area is small but very nice.
The staff is great, the guys at the reception are there to help for anything and they are nice and kind. They organize for you the excursions (and, even if you hate the concept, you need excursions to do some things in the parque nacional de los glaciares) and explain whatever you need.
Everything is very clean and well-maintained.
Internet was not very reliable, but the atmosphere is so relaxing that it doesn't really matter.
What are the bad things?
There is one particular thing that needs improvement: the breakfast.
Breakfast is served under the basis of quantity over quality. There's a large supply of sweets and cakes, and breads and juices... From which nothing was remotely amazing. The juices are all artificial, the bread is unsavory, there's some scrambled eggs happening and they are also not great... Most of the other guests were anyway stuffing themselves with it, so I guess is good enough overall, but for a place so good-looking I think it is a pity.
On the first day we made the mistake of ordering lunchboxes for the next day's excursion. There is a selection to choose from that on the paper sounds nice, it is not the case on real life and it is expensive. They are over-packaged and pretty bad.
One point that needs to be highlighted on the bright side is the guy that picked us up at the airport and bring us back there (organized by the hotel). His car was a bit falling apart but he was really kind and truly honest. A very nice guy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ec Grs!,

Mauro Pestoni

Been to Esplendor El Calafate? Share your experiences!