“Best meal I had while traveling 4.5 months in South America” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Isabel - Cocina al Disco

Isabel - Cocina al Disco
Gobernador Moyano esquina 25 de Mayo | Gobernador Moyano esquina 25 de Mayo, El Calafate 9405, Argentina
+54 2902 48-9000
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: AUTENTICA COMIDA ARGENTINA
Brooklyn, New York
“Best meal I had while traveling 4.5 months in South America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had just returned to Calafate Hostel after 4 days hiking in El Chalten and was starving. Isabel is attached to the hostel so I came by for some dinner. I was the only one dining at the time (low season), but it worked to my advantage as the servers went out of their way to make me feel at home. I couldn't decide what to order, so they recommended "pollo al disco". "Al disco" typically means that the food is cooked underground in a cast iron-like dish. It's very traditional in southern Argentina. The discos are pretty large, but they can make portions for 1 to 4 people, I believe.

I also ate here before leaving for my hiking trip and ordered the raviolis with bolognese sauce. They were good, but I wasn't blown away. I expected a similar feeling towards the disco. But man, was I wrong!

The pollo al disco is literally one of the most delicious dishes I have ever eaten in my life. Hands down the best meal I had during my 4.5 months traveling South America. I was in complete culinary bliss. The sauce was INCREDIBLE. It was hard not to continue eating even after I was full. I enjoyed the meal with a glass of chardonnay, which I found out they also put in the sauce. Made for quite a pairing.

Alas I couldn't finish the whole thing, so my server wrapped it up for me and even threw in a free cannelloni. He knew I was planning on eating it on the plane the following day, so he wrapped it specifically to travel easily and mess-free.

Do yourself a favor and come try the comida al disco!

• Visited May 2013