“The privilege of being the only one” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria Los Notros

Save Saved
You added Hosteria Los Notros to your Saves list
Hosteria Los Notros
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Ruta Provincial n. 11 Km. 70 | Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate 9405, Argentina   |
Lima, Peru
“The privilege of being the only one”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We arrived in El Calafate after a 6 hour trip from Buenos Aires with a stop in Ushuaia. I am glad we took that flight because the short stop in the most southern city on Earth was worthwhile. We regreted we didn´t make the arrangements to stay for at least one day since the place is beautiful though extremely windy. Approximately and hour and a half after landing we arrived at Los Notros. The scenery was outstanding and we were guided by a very nice argentinian guy who had left his life in the capital and changed it for a really peaceful environment. The hotel is very nice, small ( about 38 rooms ) rustic, and we had a suite with an outstanding view of the glacier in front of our panoramic window. Rooms, though furnished simply, are comfortable and nice. The bed had a good mattress which allowed a nice sleep. Bathrooms are nice but the shower is tiny with an excellent flow of hot water with very good pressure. Forget about luxury but welcome comfort and the rare gift of silence. Since there is no TV or phone in the bedroom ( there is a satellite phone in the Front Desk for emergencies ) one could really rest and enjoy the view in contemplation. Excursions are well organized and even though some take longer than what you expect, they are worth taking. Food was very nice and well prepared and the menu allows to try a different plate in every meal. Distance and isolation from the nearest town which is El Calafate obliges to eat your three meals there, but we really enjoyed it. We stayed four nights in order to get three full days to visit the glacier and its surroundings and, we consider it was a good choice. Less than that would have meant to hurry and we travelled specifically from Peru to see the Perito Moreno and Upsala glaciers. The place is worth seeing, we fully recommend it. Service in the hotel was very good, staff is attentive and well informed and they really make your vacation nice. They are still missing to provide entertainment while you are resting or simply idling.

Room Tip: If you like to spend time in your room, definitely choose a suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011 via mobile

After the Perito Moreno "Big Ice" tour we spent a night in this hotel. The view is spectacular the crew very attentive and the meals were tasty. Stay one night here it's so calm

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The location of the hotel is beautiful. Opposite the glacier, though to see it properly one needs to go to the 'pasarelas' (walkways), some 10 minutes' further by car.
Got to the hotel at lunchtime and after a nice lunch at their restaurant I was shown to my room. Nice. Unremarkable, but with a stunning view. I was staying for 4 nights and the price was US$ 450,- per night, so rather pricey, but it was to be a very special trip for me. For the price, meals are included as well as a variety of excursions. I did a few of the excursions; the Estancia Cristina, which I found rather dull, since it was to see another glacier, but having the Perito Moreno so close to the hotel, it wasn't particularly interesting to go to see another one. Still, it was a pleasant day. The hotel charged us, their own guests, four times as much as other hotels charged their guests to take them in a van to the harbour where the excursion starts. Same distance, same vans, just four times more expensive. Another time I did the mini trekking on the ice, which was very exciting and fun and on the last day I went to another estancia, from the Echeverria family and that was great because it was really traditional and typical (as opposed to the Cristina which herds hundreds of tourists like cattle and offers a very poor lunch). At the Echeverria they made corderito patagonico on the spit, which was one of the most delicious meals of my life. Cooked slowly and expertly while one of the gauchos took me horse riding around the area whilst he explained the flora and fauna of the place. It was fabulous. There's a photo of Princess Beatrix, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, when she visited the estancia a couple of years ago. I was told she was treated exactly like everybody else; in fact the gaucho who took me riding didn't even know who she was.
Back at Los Notros, meals at the hotel were nice (though not once did they have the specialty of the area: the famous corderito patagonico), and beautifully served. The sommelier, a young woman who also was managing the restaurant, was extremely knowledgeable and pleasant. In fact, all the personnel from the restaurant were very friendly, as opposed to the personnel from reception and administration, from whom it was difficult to get a smile -they were rather surly.
Minus points of the hotel: I had asked for a wake up call at 6.00 on my first morning since the excursion was leaving at 7.00. They forgot to wake me up. I was only woken at 7 itself, telling me to hurry because the van was leaving. I had to dash out of bed, could not shower, could not have breakfast, forgot my camera in the room, and started the day in a very unpleasant way. The hotel people gave me a little bag with a sort of breakfast to make up for my missing breakfast, but the coffee cup was not well closed so it spilled everywhere and I was wet and stained with coffee and could eat no breakfast. Upon my return, the receptionsts were not particularly sorry and they did not even offer a glass of wine on the house as a sort of compensation. It would have been a gesture at least.
On my last day, I had arranged that I could keep the room until I came back from the excursion, at 2 pm. However, 5 minutes before the van was leaving, I was told that I had to vacate my room. I was stunned and they would not budge, so I had to go to my room, throw everything in my bag as it fell, and dash out to get in the van not to miss the excursion. When I got back at 2 pm, I was told they could offer me another room to shower and rest. When I was shown the room they offered I was flabbergasted. It was tiny, with a high small window onto a wall, the door did not close, and later I found out that it was a service room for their own personnel. My flight was departing at 10 pm, so I had the rest of the day in that appalling student-style room with a dirty carpet. The hotel was not fully booked. I asked the restaurant people who are always informed in advance to make sure they have enough food, and they said it was still half empty. That was the last impression I took from the hotel. Very poor. At 450 Dollars a night, it is a total rip off.
The good things: the location; the bed was very comfortable; personnel in the restaurant; food.
I did complain and was told I could just write my complaints in the form I was given before departing. I did so, but never heard from them again.
If you go to El Calafate, which is a fabulous place to visit, I would stay elsewhere. If you want to stay at Los Nitro’s to experience the view from your room, one night will do. At Los Notros you have no possibility of going elsewhere, it's isolated and far away, so you can only eat there. The drinks are extremely expensive, even for European prices. But since one is captive in their hotel, they can charge what they like.
My impression was that the administration/reception was manned by very young and inexperienced people who did not have the nous nor the confidence to make the guests feel that they were staying in a place that was worth every penny. On the contrary, I heard lots of people complain about the lack of professionalism and the exorbitant prices charged on top of the price of the room. Bottom line: stay elsewhere; there are plenty of good and lovely places in El Calafate, which is a wonderful place to visit whilst in Argentina. But don't go to Los Notros, you will be ripped off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I just returned from my second trip to Argentina. This time I had the opportunity to travel to the south of the country and get to know Patagonia and famous Glacier Perito Moreno.
To stay in El Calafate decided to book a room at Los Notros, since it is the only hotel located conveniently overlooking the glacier. I stayed there for 2 nights and I think it deserves to leave my opinion in order to help other travelers.
The view of the glacier from the hotel is awesome, wonderful! the hotel is just a 3 star hotel with a poor service of the front desk staff, poor english skills and little willingness to be informative. Probably because of the limited language skills??.
It is worth highlighting the excellent service at the restaurant. The staff always friendly, warm and professional. I remember one of the waiters, Gustavo, who served my table the 2 nights of my stay, always with a pleasant smile on his face, perfect english, always attentive and friendly. So the guys at the bar!
The food was excellent, the chef offers a very good variety of different types of local food with little choice for those who are vegetarians.
If I have the chance to come back I will definitely not be returning to Los Notros, would stay in a hotel in El Calafate instead. Los Notros is very expensive for a prime location only.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
phoenix az usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Would I stay at Los Notros again? I don't know. The location is unmatched. That is why they can price it like a five star. The rooms were very nice, except they do not have phones in them. If you have a question you have to hike back to headquarters. Since their service is lacking, we had to do this more than once. Example, when they took us to our room they neglected to tell us how to turn down the heat. Since we couldn't figure it out, we had to hike. Fortunately it was not raining. We didn't care about calling outside of the hotel but couldn't even call friends in other rooms or the front desk. The next morning we discovered that the hot water in the shower did not work -- the handle on the valve was broken. Hike back to the main building. Unfortunately the person on duty didn't know what she was doing, had poor English skills, and so we couldn't take showers.

The food was good but not outstanding. Service in the dining room was fairly good, much better than the other parts of the hotel.

If money were no object, I might stay there again and just get mad about the lousy service, again. But I probably would decide to stay in one of the three star estancias on the way to Calafate or even in Calafate and endure the tourbus to get to Perito Moreno, which is definitely worth visiting. Rather than paying US$1000 plus a night, I would pay US$ 300 and have a great time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Incredible location facing the Perito Moreno glacier....Superb food and service included in the package and over and above dedication for the excursions related to the stay, including the glacier and horseback riding. Staff very polite and friendly. All in all, unique experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This place certainly takes the cake for over-priced hotels! Our family spent four nights and occupied three rooms, this holiday season and the overall consensus was that other than the view, there is no reason to stay here. There were some rather funny moments, like the fact that the movie screening room, which was about 95 degrees, only had two movies in English…Lolita and Shrek!. We got so bored that we actually watched Lolita in spite of the heat. We also found it amusing (infuriating) that we were told when we booked the reservation, that the front desk would be closed on New Year’s Day and therefore we would be unable to check-out, only to notice they were checking-in guests on the holiday! Sort of like the Bates Hotel – you can check-in but not out. This was quite infuriating as some of us need to be back at work and we had done most of the available activities and, at that point, couldn’t bear to look at the menu, let alone eat the food. The service was very poor, the hotel seems to be run by a gang of young people with little or no supervision. We were told that the entire staff partied, until 7:00 in the morning, on New Years Eve. Which we imagine is why only one waitress showed-up for New Year’s Day breakfast. The food was consistently poor and the rather limited menu never changed. One had to beg for coffee or water. The breakfast scrambled eggs were so awful that we made a couple of attempts to order soft-boiled eggs. The first morning it took 25 minutes to get a 4-minute egg. Our second try, resulted in eight totally raw (but slightly warmed) eggs being delivered to the table. I don’t think they were being nasty, as we always make a point of being good to waiters and other service staff – I just think they did not know how to make eggs (or were perhaps too hung-over as this occurred on New Year’s Day). When you stay at the hotel, you are stuck in the middle of nowhere so there are no alternative options for food or entertainment. We stayed here after our trip to BA, where we stayed at the Hotel Alvear, which was a third of the price and way better.

We did not explore other lodging options but it seemed that the other alternatives were located in Calafate (a rather desolate desert town). If you really have your heart set on visiting the glacier (which is quite beautiful) you may consider staying here (if other options are just as bad) but I would limit it to 2 nights and make sure to take advantage of all the included activities during those two days. We had one activity per day so had a lot of down time. Also, avoid staying on the third floor – it’s like an oven when the weather is hot. And be sure to catch Lolita – it’s a darn good movie, just be sure to wear your bathing suit!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hosteria Los Notros? Share your experiences!