I always think the most important "must haves" for a hotel is a comfortable bed - and we definitely found that here. Our room was small and dated, but still cute; we had one of several rooms with a small balcony, which was a great place from which to watch the really cool Patagonian sunset.
Next most important is decent food available - no complaints here as well. We had several quick sandwiches at the cafe in the lobby, which they prepared especialy for us. And the dinner we had at the cocktail bar above the spa (the main restaurant was closed for the offseason) was pretty good -- though I would encourage you to get the lamb, rather than the steak.
Biggest area lacking here was service. There was a general lack of desire to be helpful at the front desk -- especially with regards to dinner reservations and questions about activities. We didn't need much, as we largely get things done on our own. But when you say you're going to make a dinner reservation, and then you don't do it -- that's tough to excuse.
Two other small knocks with respect to the rooms: there is definitely a sewer smell that creeps into the bathroom sometimes overnight, likely due to old blackwater/graywater pipes that need a cleanout. As everywhere else in Argentina, this place has vents from the pipes in the floor of the bathroom, and when very little water flows through them at night, the smell can come up into the room. I really don't understand why they can't figure out how to do closed-loop plumbing in Argentina. Oh well. Second issue was noise - it carries far in the hotel, and if you're not leaving on a 7am tour, be prepared to be woken up by the housekeepers next door shortly after that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of El Calafate, very close to Argentino Lake and Down Town. It has spa facilities, an indoor Swimming pool and free Wi-Fi in all areas.The guest rooms at Posada Los Alamos feature heating, as well as a minibar and cable TV. Rooms have views of the organic garden and the mountains beyond.An extensive breakfast buffet offers a choice of American, Argentinean or Patagonian food. La Posta Restaurant serves a menu of international and regional specialties, including Patagonian lamb. The hotel also features two bars.Los Alamos provides a full range of modern spa facilities and an indoor pool with ceiling-to-floor windows. The hotel has its own small 18-hole par 3 golf course. Also can arrange trips including horseback riding and exploring the Moreno Glacier.El Calafate Airport is 12 miles away and transportation are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Posada Los Alamos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Posada Los Alamos Hotel El Calafate
- Posada Los Alamos El Calafate, Argentina - Patagonia