“Please Don't Stay Here. Please.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Calafate Hostel to your Saves list
Calafate Hostel
Gobernador Moyano 1226 | Santa Cruz, El Calafate 9405, Argentina   |
New York, NY
“Please Don't Stay Here. Please.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

While on a 5-day, 4-night trip to Patagonia, the tour company that I hired placed me in the Calafate Hostel. I had a single room with ensuite which was visited daily by a maid. The water pressure in the shower was good but the water temperature varied from ice cold to scalding hot. The shower seemed to be cleaned just once during the four nights I was there. Bedroom was very bare bones with a full size bed, chair and little TV. In terms of the cleaning, it was a bit inconsistent - my third day the maid left towels (would have come in handy a few days earlier) and my first day I had put my toothbrush away and when I returned to the room later in the day, the toothbrush was out, turned upside down and placed by the sink. I don't even want to think what happened with that toothbrush. Anyway, compared to the rest of the hostel, the room was a little safe haven.

The upstairs dining room/common area of the hostel was gross. I don't know if that's the fault of the hostel or its guests however there were dirty dishes and unclean tables everywhere. The kitchen was filthy - dirty dishes and counters, FLIES everywhere. The dining room is the only place where internet functions. The downstairs common room is reserved for breakfast and paying customers after breakfast. Breakfast was less than basic and flies were all over the food. It's not worth it to get up and have breakfast, better to go the supermarket and buy something for yourself. After breakfast is cleared, the staff do a good job of cleaning the area which is actually quite nice, however the staff will only let you sit down if you order something. The staff are sticklers for keeping the rules when money is involved.

Front desk staff was lazy. While I was at the hostel, the majority of the time there was a very lazy, unforgiving front desk person who clearly did not care at all about the hostel or his job. There's also a woman and a taller dark-haired guy who I dealt with who were better than the other staff member.

A pro of the hostel is the prime location, two blocks from the main street. However, there are other hostels that are the same distance from the main road that are much nicer. Bottom line, you have been warned and I very strongly do not recommend this hostel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Friendly atmosphere, incredibly helpful staff and nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A great clean, comfortable and warm place to relax after Glacier oggling. It's a snowball'sthrow from the main drag and has a great restaurant next-door but one. It would be ideally suited to big groups and can feel a little impersonal to the lone traveller.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed in a 4-pax room but there was only a roomrate so it was actually a double room. Bedsheet was clean and free choice of breakfast. Central location of the hostel. But the common area was a bit noisy with loud music. It stopped in the midnight.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed at a private ensuite. I should have payed a few extra pesos to stay at a hotel. Bedrooms are very basic, no hangers to put the clothes. The door lock was a nightmare, so was the shower. Wifi is only available at the reception area. Staff is unfriendly and lazy, except the guy working at night. I got into an argument with one of them who basically accused me of cheating on the price of the room. Only after the discussion he had the idea to look up my reservation and BAM - I was right. I received no apologies though. Breakfast is stale toast and kool aid. Kitchen is a joke. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2011
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I stayed for several nights in Jan 2011. I wasn't looking forward to my stay here as the reviews I had read weren't good. My need for a very central location & a reasonable price forced me to book here. I was very pleasantly surprised & couldn't see what other people were moaning about!
As hostels go, I felt it 'ticked all the boxes'. I didn't feel anything was particularly dirty. My room & ensuite was clean & comfortable. The common areas were fine. Breakfast wasn't anything to shout about but it was OK. The cold toast wasn't too good but I soon learned that you needed to sit with a view of the buffet table & as soon as a 'fresh trayful' of toast appeared, you needed to grab some warmer toast quick! The communal kitchen wasn't very well equipped but it was adequate & no worse than a lot of hostels I have stayed in.
There were several computers for internet use which you had to pay for. Wifi was free I believe.
Reception staff were very helpful, especially the lady who helped me considerably when my onward travel to Chile got cancelled (border was closed due to blockades). I needed to re-schedule & cancel all sorts of accommodations, transport, tours etc & she was a great help.
Location is absolutely perfect. It was bang where you needed to be. When I was researching accommodations before my trip I kept looking at all sorts of places that were 'out of town'. This would have been a very big mistake!
I was very pleased with my stay & would happily recommend it to others (just remember it is a hostel & not a hotel & you will be absolutely fine)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We had booked this hostel in advance and were very disappointed by it. Pretty much the only good thing about it is its location since it is in the centre of the town. Apart from that it was one of our worst stays in South America. The staff is spectacularly unfriendly. The rooms are, let's say, very basic and offer you little comfort (we stayed in a four-bed room). The shared bathrooms were not very clean. The breakfast was very basic and of very low quality, and the breakfast area was very untidy when we had our breakfast there. It was difficult to find a clean plate, whereas on the other hand, the dirty dishes were piling up on the tables so it was equally difficult to find a table although there were not many people having breakfast at that time. The hostel is rather big and anonymous. The common areas are just ok. There is internet available on shared computers but it was comparably expensive. The most telling incident in this hostel happened to us one night when we returned from the outside. It wasn't particulary late and we went to the bar of the hostel to ask for a beer. There were plenty of people standing around the bar which I assumed were all part of the staff doing exactly what we intended to do, i.e. having a beer. However, when we asked for a beer they threw us a disgusted look and told us the bar was closed. It was apparently too much effort to open the fridge door and hand us a bottle. We stayed a couple more days in El Calafate than was the initial plan but we made sure we would check into a different hostel first. Really not recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Calafate Hostel? Share your experiences!