“Super friendly, Ramiro is great!” 5 of 5 stars

Schilling Hostal Patagonico
Gobernador Paradelo 141 esq. Roca, El Calafate, Argentina   |
Ranked #6 of 31 El Calafate B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Super friendly, Ramiro is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

New owners since May 2013. Making it a warm welcoming place. We stayed 4 nights. Superfriendly, English and Spanish speaking. Very helpfull, especially Ramiro who helped us with everything we asked and more, even with our bustickets to ibera! Nice big comfortable rooms, clean with comfy beds, great breakfast. Close to busstation and one block from main street. We warmly recommend this place! One of the best places we stayed at in Argentina!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had initially planned to stay for 2 nights at Schilling Hostal while visiting El Calafaté.

From arriving the staff at this family run hostel could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The hostel had a very homely feel in the communal areas. We were given help and advice on the Perito Moreno Glacier tours and they even offered to call and book the tour for us.

Our room was basic but clean and comfortable and very reasonably priced. The inclusive breakfast was again basic but tasty and started early enough for us to make the excursions. We also ate in their restaurant one night and for the very reasonable prices, the food was great.

After having trouble with transport arrangements, we chose to book in again at short notice and then again on our return through El Calafaté, each time the service was consistently good.

Overall a great, well run and friendly hostel that is perfect for a short stay in the area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked our first 2 nights in Schilling kind of randomly because I was overwhelmed reading reviews. I was traveling with a friend and we were so happy with it we came back for our last night. The family that run the place is very helpful and friendly. It's a comfortable, friendly place that makes you almost want to hang out there! But it's also very close to the bus station and the main street of Calafate. They helped us book our tour to Perito Moreno (definitely do the mini-trekking!) and our bus to El Chalten, and were genuinely interested in our experience. We enjoyed them very much, and the coffee was good too!

Room Tip: I slept great but my friend was bothered by a dripping sound coming from the heaters. Honestly I wou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Absolutely excellent Hostel, very friendly and hospitable staff. Only 100m from the Main Street, Bars and Restaurant. All excursions and transfers can be easily booked at reception. Highly recommend the mini trekking on Perito Moreno Glacier

Stayed October 2013
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My dad and I showed up with no reservations in El Calafate. Our first stop was booked and we were kindly direct to Hostal Schilling. My dad hadn't stayed in a hostal in probably 20 years and we both loved it here. The new owners are lovely and were super helpful to us knowing the area well, with connections. The rooms clean and practical, the common areas oozing with ambiance. The location is great: 1 block west of bus station and 1 block north of the main strip and a supermarket. We then went to El Chalten (amazing) and then stayed at Schilling Hostal again upon return. Would have stayed longer but had a prepaid flight out. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed at Hosteria Schilling for two nights in December 2012. The conditions are good (I picked it because its ratings and price seemed a good middle-ground (El Calafate is relatively expensive and over-touristy in my opinion). The breakfast was relatively modest, but decent overall. Good internet signal, too. Good bed, decent bathroom. The location is just 3 minutes walking from the main street.

The main reason why I gave five stars to this place is the treatment from the owner's part (Carlos, I believe; he has lots of pictures in the lobby area, from his trips as far as Egypt). He arranged for my Perito Moreno Glacier trip for $640 AR, or USD at 5:1, all (including the conversion rate) agreed upon by email days before the trip. I could not exchange USD so I paid at 5:1 (still better than the 4.87:1 you got in the bank). But one day after the tour & payment I managed to exchange USD at 6.1:1 and I went back to him. He agreed to give me back my USD and accept pesos, effectively loosing money, even though he had no obligation to reconsider the conditions of the deal.

Secondly, when I had to go to the airport he arranged for a shuttle for me with just 3 hours notice from my part. But the shuttle company bailed out (too bad I cannot remember their name) and I had to get a cab for 2x the price. Carlos called them and criticized them and he really tried to push them to deliver on their promise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ceciliasma, Gerente at Schilling Hostal Patagonico, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks very much for your opinion. We are the new owners, so if you return to Calafate, please come back to Hostal Schilling, so you are going to see the changes. best regards, Cecilia

Been to Schilling Hostal Patagonico? Share your experiences!