“Simply paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tronador

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Carlos de Bariloche
Hotel Tronador
Sobre lago Mascardi, ruta provincial 82 | Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi, San Carlos de Bariloche 8400, Argentina   |
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Simply paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Perfect lakeside setting with glacier and mountain views . Think Lake Louise / Canadian Rockies / Banff only better without the crowds, cars, and at small fraction of the cost. We will definitely make the long trip again from the U.S. to revisit this jewel. Gracious family led by Beatrice and her son, Benito who own and operate the hotel and a nearby farm. Website accurately represents the hotel except that it understates the beauty of the setting. Wonderful hiking from your door as rigorous, easy , long or short as you would like. Beatice and Benito accurately represent the hikes and provide directions. Very nice dining areas for breakfast , lunch and dinner. Excellent chef who works with the foods available in this remote location, many of which are grown or raised on the premises. Food is well prepared and flavorful. However do not expect large steaks or fresh fish ( unless you catch the fish yourself ). Excellent Argentinian wines. Excellent servers. Excellent trout fishing in the lake out your front door and in nearby lakes and rivers. Benito and family are excellent certified fishing guides. Row boat available for use without charge on the lake for cruising around and fishing. Kayaks and 2 small motor boats available for rent. Horseback riding with excellent staff to keep you safe. Fellow guests were great with most being repeat clients. We stayed 6 days and could easily have stayed a few more. Requiest a lake side room with balcony. Remote location down a rough dirt road serviced by bus but would recommend renting a car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in an amazing location. The owners were amazing and so accomodating. If my intention was to relax in a beautiful setting with family and friends, I would recommend Hotel Tronador. If your intention is to explore Patagonia, hike, raft, eat amazing meals, meet new people, paraglide, ice climb, and just be adventurous, this isn't the place for you. I felt trapped because of the remoteness of this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have just arrived from Bariloche. Staying at the tronador hotel was a great experience. The fact that is in an unpaved road 1 1/2 hrs from Bariloche made such a difference. The options of outdoors activities (trekking hiking fishing kayaking horseback riding) make staying at the hotel really worth the trip. All activities leave from the hotel. Staff will personalize the tours. Once you get there you won´t believe this quiet place. I traveled with a friend, We went hiking to casada de los cesares and los pozones, did some kayaking and bird watching. We visited the base of the Tronador, Ventisquero negro, Saltillo de las nalcas, mirador del valle and Cascada los alerces. Reservations where made on line 2 months prior to our arrival. The hotel was busy, lots of family, children and couples. The view from our room was amazing. Both lunch and dinner where delicious and fresh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hannover, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I booked 5 nights at Hotel Tronador over Christmas. Since it was our honeymoon and therefore very special for us, I requested a room with a balcony, Paula replied saying a room was available for us and we would have an excellent lake view.

When we arrived on 23rd Dec, we were given no proper welcome, just told our room number and the taxi driver took us up. The room was at the side of the property at the back, it was very basic (with 3 beds, not ideal for a romantic honeymoon!) and the main view was actually of the car park, if you stood at one particular angle you could see the side of the lake!

Thinking there must have been some mistake, we went to talk to Paula. After ringing the bell at the front desk, we waited for about 20 mins to speak to her. When we did, she was extremely unhelpful and told me it had been very clear we would not have a balcony. (To my mind, when you ask for a balcony room and the answer is "yes we have a room available with a lake view" that does not mean there is no balcony room available, however I was made to feel like I was very much in the wrong. There was not so much as an apology for the confusion, she just reiterated over and over that she had never had any complaints before.

We returned to our room, very disillusioned but tried to persuade ourselves that it was only a room and we would be outside all day anyway. We then went down to lunch, it was about 3pm and so most guests had already eaten. My husband commented that at least we could enjoy the lake view during mealtimes.Just as he said this the waitress informed us this was not our table. It transpired that every room was assigned a table for the duration of their stay, and so even though this table in question had already been vacated, we were not permitted to sit there. Our table was pointed out to us, far removed from the window, in the middle of the room.

We went back to Paula and asked why we had been given the worst table in the restaurant, to which she replied that everyone else had arrived before us and her regular guests have priority.

Far from being made to feel special on our Christmas honeymoon trip, we were made to feel totally unimportant and I actually left the hotel in tears. I could not understand the table policy at all and did not like the prospect of the next 5 days being told where we were and were not allowed to sit.

I would like to point out I have never walked out of a hotel in my life and nor am I the type to complain about details. All I can say is that all our expectations were dashed and we were left searching for another hotel 2 days before Christmas.

Luckily, we found Peuma Hue (an estancia 30 mins away) where we were welcomed with a simple "congratulations" and a bottle of champagne in aid of our honeymoon. I have never been so grateful!

Although Paula kept saying she has never had any problems in 4 generations, perhaps it is time for a shake-up. They may have clients who have been going for 30 years, but if they treat all new clients as we were treated they will certainly not have a business for the next 30 years.

I would warn people that their website is very misleading, they show no pictures at all of the standard rooms in the main house (which are basic to say the least). Sadly, although this is a beautiful spot, our experience was so awful I would never recommend it and there are equally beautiful places to stay dotted around the national park.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Our family, 3 kids and us came here, starting our Patagonia trip. We chose this hotel based in other reviews. First the rooms are clean and with great views. Tons of activities, great hikes, fishing, great horseback riding. The food is very good and they will also cook your fish. We were here Christmas Eve and te place is fool of locals that come every year.

• Stayed December 2012
agoura hills,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I visited hotel Tronador this November and can't even put into words the amazing place this is. It is secluded in the national park 1 1/2 hrs from town ...on lake Mascardi. We felt like we were the only ones here. The attention from the staff was amazing ! They went out of the way to make sure all our activities were planned and we felt at home. Our view from our balcony was breathtaking. The hotel is very clean and the meals were great! We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room overlooking the lake and mountains. The food was very well thought out and tasted very fresh... Couldn't believe it was all included in the room price. I can't imagine a place so beautiful being so affordable. We went horseback riding for 3 hours to the 3 lagoons and kayaking in lake Mascardi, white water rafting, also went hiking to the cascade. All the activities were so inexpensive. The only regret is that we were only able to spend 3 nights there. I have already planned to come back next year and spend at least one week. I loved the fact that their were other visitors in the hotel but we were taken care of as if we were the only ones. When we went out on horseback we didnt see one other person..it was amazing..the views and colors and lanscape is breathtaking! I really recommend doing the white water rafting down the manso river to the border of Chile...an amazing experience.
My friend and I have traveled many countries but we have to say that Bariloche, hotel Tronador has been on the top of my list. Their is so many activities to do or just sitting on the balcony relaxing and drinking tea. I can't express how grateful I am to Benito and the whole family for making our trip amazing!! See you all soon!!

• Stayed November 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I spent November, 2011 in Argentina and enjoyed four nights in this wonderful family built, owned and run hotel. Since I work pretty hard traveling this quiet gem and it's delicious food were quit a find. The hotel is built on beautiful Lake Tronador. You might want to hike or horse back ride to build enough appetite for the big home grown and prepared meals. I'm a Colorado native and I love mountains and wild places. This area has them in spades.

Room Tip: If you go before late December when the high season starts the hotel is even more quiet.