“Very Nice Hotel, But a Few Small Setbacks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Design Suites Bariloche

You added Design Suites Bariloche to your Saves list
Design Suites Bariloche
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Bustillo Km 2,5, San Carlos de Bariloche R8402AAX, Argentina   |
Atlanta, GA
“Very Nice Hotel, But a Few Small Setbacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I started out with a love/hate relationship with this hotel when I first arrived, after completing a grueling 12 hr crossing of la Cordillera de los Andes in very cold and wet weather. The two vans couldn't fit all of our group and our luggage, but another 3 minutes or so in the weather was no longer a bother at that point. After a glass of wine, a hot and tasty meal, and my pajamas warmed up on the radiator to greet me when I returned to the room, the outlook was significantly brighter. The rooms are clean and nice - very contemporary looking with heated bathroom floors and such. The restaurant and check-in station has a large windows with stunning views of the snow capped mountains and water - great to contemplate over wine and a good meal (fancy food but very tasty).

The drawbacks were few, but there, so I feel like I should mention them as well. The buildings are all separated, so it does involve out walking outdoors, and uphill if you are going to your room. No big deal if the weather is decent, but a bit of a challenge when it's not so much. The location is also 2k from the downtown portion of the city. It's not too bad of a walk, but there is no sidewalk and the hotel shuttle only goes down there twice a day....just before the stores close for siesta or for the day. Also, my room ended up with the faint scent of sewage, but not bad enough to drive me away. You can also hear the business of all of the people around you. There is no blocking of sound at all, and I could hear our next door neighbor's tv like it was blaring in our room. Again, not bad enough for me to change my opinion of the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel is made up of a few buildings, so you do need to walk outdoors to get from your room to the main lobby / restaurant / massage therapy etc. Really not a big deal!
The staff is beyond friendly and very helpful! The view at the restaurant is amazing and the food is great. Our room was large, modern with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom with good water pressure in the shower and a jet tub.
We took advantage of the on-site massage service, a little perk if you have time for a fair price.
It is true that the hotel is up a steep hill and is a good 20-30 minutes from downtown if you walk ... which is really not the safest thing to do, there is no sidewalk and you have to walk by a very busy boulevard. Taking the bus wasn't the most convenient option, the hotel has a shuttle service but it only runs twice a day.. so unless you have a car, you'll need call taxis to take you places.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Pros: This hotel has an impressive view from the restaurant. After a 12 hour (beautiful) lake crossing that ended with wet, freezing feet, we were pleased to find a hot shower with plenty of pressure, a jet tub in the bathroom, a large and comfortable room with a firm bed, coffee maker and fully stocked mini fridge, fantastic service, and delicious options at the hotel restaurant for dinner - the breakfast spread was good. Coffee was good too.

Cons: the hotel has four buildings that are separate from the lobby and restaurant, and you have to walk up a pretty steep hill to get to the rooms. They do have drivers that can escort you if needed, but this could be a challenge in bad weather or for those with challenges walking. Also, the town is about a 20-30 minute walk away. It's a gorgeous walk along the lake, but you do have to walk along side a busy road. Reception can call you a taxis into town and it cost less than $5USD. This wasn't a big deal, but it's something to keep in mind.

The biggest con for me was the noise in the morning. There were dogs barking and dumpsters being emptied and when the people in the room above me were packing to leave (2 hrs before I intended to wake up) it was very loud. I am a deep sleeper but all this woke me up and made me cranky.

Overall, it was really lovely and I liked being a little outside of town to have a more mountain getaway feel.

• Stayed April 2013
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very run down and doesn't look anything like the pictures. There was a horrible smell in the room and there were no windows, only a balcony door with no screen. Mosquitos came in and dogs barked all night. Be aware that the 2k walk into town is on a very busy road and not safe at all. It is across the street from the lake, and not on it. Also, the lake access is poor and you have to either drive or arrange an excursion to actually kayak or go out on a boat. It's a bad combination of not in town and not on the water. Also, from the 4th building, our view was terrible.
Worst of all, when we checked out they charged us for using the Evian water bottle in the room. In fact, we did not touch the hotel's water bottle, but did bring our own in. The housekeeper saw the empty bottle, and told the desk to charge us. They wouldn't believe us, and our cab was waiting to take us to the airport. A horrible way to leave and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We got there because friends from us made the booking there, we didn't know anything about this hotel. I liked it very much, I liked the design, the location, the view, the tub, unfortunately I never got the time to use it because we were very bussy there. Bariloche is a great place, I've loved it for years! Once, many years ago I stayed in Bariloche's downtown right in front of a disco and it was very loud. The location of the hotel is just great because is a couple of kms away from the city, so you get quietness! It doesn't matter if you have to take a taxi to the town, taxis are quite cheap there. The staff is friendly and they always call a "Remis" (taxi) for you!
Breakfast was very good, I drank plenty of coffee, which is something I need to start my day, and the view from the dining room was just wonderful.
I liked this Design Suites, then I went to the one in Buenos Aires and it wasn't the half of that one in Bariloche.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Barlioche at the Design Suites. The rooms are big, with great views and really clean.
And also the breakfast buffet is sufficient and so yummy.
We didn’t try the Spa, which is also included in the hotel.
The only hassle was walking about 2,5 km downtown and another 2.5 km for the back-way. But it also was a good exercise and burnt a few calories.
Design Suites Barlioche are really a good choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed for the New Year in Bariloche – room was great, modern and spacious. We were in the 4th block so a bit of a walk up the hill from the main building but were rewarded by great views over the lake. Good breakfast – they kept the buffet topped up right until 10.30am when it closed.
Went for a dip in the pool (has an inside and out) – were the only ones enjoying the great views – bobbed around for over an hour! Its a little way into to town (30 mins walk) but there are plenty of cabs and they’re not that expensive

Room Tip: High floor for best view