“Marvellous” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Argentinean, European, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The three young amigos who own and run this amazing and tiny lakeside restaurant could have set up shop just about anywhere in the world -- the Michelin-trained chef is Irish, the delightful sommelier's German, and the charming server is a Porteña. That they chose a lovely location just above Bariloche's popular Playa Bonita illustrates their passion for this place. Local ingredients, from rabbit and duck to leeks and berries, are sourced daily and presented in an impeccably intricate seven-course menu. Wine is offered by the bottle or as a highly recommended paired tasting.Reservations are required.Excerpt taken from "Frommers Argentina 3rd edition"
London
“Marvellous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Lovely food, beautiful lakeside location, attentive service - this place really is in a league of its own, and in a country with as many great restaurants in as Argentina, that is really saying something. Hugely recommended.

• Visited May 2012

95% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Good meal!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I only had two days in Bariloche and felt like I had to go to Butterfly given the reviews, even though it was an hour drive from my hotel (my taxi driver was a happy man!).
Based on my global gastronomic experience (which includes michelin and non-michelin), I will rate Butterfly as good overall.
I appreciate the fact that they create their menus based on the fresh ingredients available daily, and hence the concept of the surprise menu. And they are very accommodating with dietary requirements.
The first few courses were nice and then when I was told that the main would be a lamb dish, I started to worry because I really don't like lamb unless it's perfectly cooked (so you don't get that weird lamb taste). Even before the dish arrived, I was already trying to find excuses for not finishing that dish. But omg, it was the best lamb dish ever! At that point, my rating for Butterfly was sky high. Then, came the desserts and petits fours... I have a sweet tooth, and I found them disappointing.
I'm not sure if it's the best restaurant in Bariloche, as I only been to two there. The other one was much more casual and everything faultless.
Oh and service was very good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“An Absolute Must Visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Your trip to Bariloche is not complete unless you visit Butterfly! I visited Butterfly with my mom and 23 year old sister in December. We are not particularly big eaters and we are fairly picky--I am vegetarian and gluten free and the chef could not have been more accommodating. I have eaten at many Michelin Star restaurants around the world and Butterfly was undoubtedly the best food that I have ever tasted. The ambiance is extremely welcoming and cozy. They only seat a few tables each night and the staff is very attentive and accommodating.

Still not convinced? I ran into a friend from college in Bariloche and convinced his family to try Butterfly. They loved it so much that his parents wrote me a note thanking me for my recommendation. They said that it was one of the highlights of their trip!

• Visited December 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
“Excellent food at a price (to be paid in cash!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small restaurant with a spectacular position on a quiet side-track off the main road along Lago Nahuel Huapi about 7.5 km west of Bariloche - I mention this as it is not easy to find if you are making your own way there! We were staying no more than a couple of hundred yards away and we struggled to find it! There are only half a dozen or so tables, so it was recommended to book, although there were only 2 tables being used the evening we were there, although it was a Saturday. However, the booking requirement may relate to the need for the restaurant to order the necessary ingredients as they do pride themselves on high quality fresh food. We certainly found the 7 course Michelin-quality meal to be excellent, and beautifully presented after an intro of each course by the German head waiter and with a visit from the Irish chef towards the end of the meal, but obviously such quality comes at a price. We paid around 350 pesos per head without going overboard on the excellent wine list. This was acceptable for an excellent meal on a special occasion, but I do feel that with this sort of prices, the restaurant should accept credit cards - the cash requirement made an awfully big hole in our cash reserves!

Visited February 2013
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Exceptional dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Wow! That was one the best dinners I've ever had!wonderful food, Michelin star worthy! The dinner itself is a surprise - 7 course dinner and you don't know what's coming next . We just had to say that I have celiac and I got the best dinner ever. The chef came to talk to us and was lovely( and so good looking!)