“It was a real treat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Santa Rosa, California
“It was a real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My son and I spent several days recently at this hotel, while in town for spring training. We will definitely stay at this same hotel again next year. Every single staff member that we had interactions with was friendly, courteous, and helpful. We were greeted by the front desk clerk with a welcoming smile when we arrived, and she found our reservations right away. We had a room on the 2nd floor. Other than occasionally hearing a door close, or the sound of a shower in the next room, it was very quiet, yet not eerily so. The hotel is also close to the Hwy 60 onramp, was about 10 to 12 miles from the Giants' Scottsdale Stadium, perhaps 10 miles from Hohokam Stadium, etc.

A free breakfast is provided every morning. They had fruit, oatmeal with various toppings, make-yourself waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, a varying potato dish, plus toast, muffins, and bagels. Juice, milk, and coffee to top it off. The coffee was very good, and just the right temperature for me (no burnt tongue). They also provided a complimentary dinner on Mon, Tues and Wed nights, but since we ate out, we didn't take advantage of that.

It was nice to have the kitchenette, with fridge, stove and microwave. One great benefit of staying here is that they will grocery shop for you at no charge, except for the cost of the groceries. You just need to provide your list by 9:00 a.m. I did so, and included a request for a 6-pack of Aquafina water (for our drive home). They noticed that the store was selling a 24-pack for the same price as a 6-pack, and got me the better deal.

I definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in the Scottsdale/Mesa area. Truly a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor at the very end of the hallway - it was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert B, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have personally used your letter with our entire staff to encourage them that they are doing a wonderful job. Your comments are all-encompassing, and show that guest satisfaction is rarely won by an individual, but by a team. It is also extra nice when our team effort is recognized and I thank you again for taking the time to tell us.

I look forward to your next mother/son outing with us and hope that you introduce yourself to me!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cameron Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

It was very comfortable particularly the beds which is the primary reason we generally stay at Marriott hotels. The room size was more than adequate with a kitchen area, living room, and bedroom. It was, primarily, one big room as the bedroom was not a separate room. Flat screen TV but was disappointed there was not a DVD player. The kitchen was adequate with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, plenty of utensils, plates, etc. for 4, and two burner stove and microwave. Despite the pictures on the website, the kitchen is not the same. There may be some rooms but every room I saw (door open while cleaning) did not have an oven and it was not a granite countertop. Not a big deal for us as the kitchen still serve its purposes but misleading.

Be sure to have your room key with you at all times. All the doors (except for the main lobby entrance) were always locked and you needed your key to go through. This included within the hotel. Seemed a little overkill for security but not a real problem if you have your key. Even going to and from the pool, you need your key to get through the doors.

Hot breakfast was okay. Plenty of selection but was a little disappointed in some of the quality.

It was obvious the hotel has not been updated in some time as carpets were worn, no DVD player, but the furnishings were good and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert B, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks for your response, Chris, as well as rating us 4-stars. I appreciate the balance you've shared between our strengths and areas of opportunities. We are 100% committed to improving every day with every guest - and observations like these only help us in this endeavor. I am confident you will see improvements on your next visit with us.
Granada Hills, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were in town for a little girls scrapbooking weekend, and we used the hotel's meeting room for our classes on Saturday. Amanda was amazing to work with from beginning to end. We booked the meeting room late last year, only to hear when called to confirm and get information that our first contact was no longer there. We went through 4 people within a few weeks. However, once Amanda was on it the whole event was good to go with no worries! A please doing business at this hotel!

Our hotel room wasn't cleaned one day. We hadn't left the magnet on the door, and were gone from 8:30 am until 8 pm....it was fine when we called down as long as we could get towels since there was no one available to take trash out, or clean our room. Other than that...quiet, relaxing and an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Robert B, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, Ginger! I remember your group very well. I heard several nice comments from our staff regarding your girls.

We are very fortunate to have added Amanda to our sales team in January. As you have experienced, she has already made a positive impact on our hotel in such a short time. She is very thorough, detail-oriented, and best of all, she loves our guests - key indicators of a successful hospitality manager.

I have discussed with our housekeeping department how your room may have gotten missed for daily cleaning. We are always grateful when our guests notify us should we fall short of expectations, allowing us to remedy the situation.

Looking forward to hosting your group again in the future and hopefully meeting you in person!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Reading other reviews, we had concerns about noise at this hotel especially during spring break. The hotel was very busy but noise was not a problem. We did request a third floor room, but all of building one was quiet. It's the building furthest from the pool. The neighborhood is going through a transition. There is new office construction nearby... But many of the nearby big box retailers and shops have moved to other areas. The nearby mall is doing okay and there are several restaurants around it. The hotel is in a group of four other major chain hotels on quiet streets but with easy access to most attractions in the area. The staff was wonderful and really made it feel like home.

Room Tip: Third floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert B, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind response and the 4-Star rating! We are always encouraged to hear when we've left our guests pleased, and I personally love hearing our staff made you feel at home. (That's our #1 goal!!)

We've taken strong steps in the recent past to keep noise levels to a minimum, especially in the later hours of the evening. I'm happy to hear these steps are working!

One final note regarding your neighborhood comments, we are excited about how the City of Mesa has worked to upgrade and redefine its image for the better. The new companies and industry replacing those that have departed is indicative of this upward trend, leaving those of us who live and work here in the community very excited about the future. I am confident your next visit here will confirm my observations.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just recently stayed here and we thought the room was ok. The bed was not comfortable, it was hard and lumpy. We woke up feeling sore. We could not hear people in the room next to us which was nice. The breakfast was ok also. They had waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs and some kind of sausage. We would not likely stay at this particular Residence Inn again. The staff is very friendly though.

Room Tip: Room 121 was by two doors and the stairs so you could hear the door being opened and closed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert B, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. A key for our improving is feedback from our valued guests. "Not overly impressed" and "ok" falls far short of our goal here at Residence Inn. While we are always encouraged to hear positive comments about our hotel and staff, we are equally concerned when we hear we’ve fallen short. The most consistent feedback we receive centers around our friendly, professional and accommodating staff - and I'm happy that was the case here again. Another consistent comment is about how good our breakfasts are - not just some cold muffins, fruit and hard-boiled eggs, but a hot meal that changes daily, with breakfast burritos, waffles, egg, sausage & cheese biscuits, oatmeal, etc. However, I do want to apologize for the bed issue you faced. I have forwarded your concerns and room number to our housekeeping department and we are already working to correct the problem. I personally hope you change your mind and give us another opportunity to meet your expectations in the future. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance. - Robert Baker, Director of Sales
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Was in town with a couple of friends for a weekend, booked a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite. Check-in/check-out was a breeze, Staff was always wonderful when I encountered them. Free breakfast was superb as usual for Residence Inn, free internet worked fine, free parking always a plus in my book. The interior of the building that I stayed in could use a facelift. The hallway carpet looked old and worn, and the closet doors in both of the bedrooms of the suite I stayed in were warped, but still functioned. The bathroom fans were loud, but they sure worked! There was a strong perfume scent that hit me when I first entered the room, but I simply aired that out by opening the windows and turning on the AC fan. There are several restaurants and fast food places within two blocks of the hotel, so it is in a good location. Also, the hotel is right behind a golf course, so it's quiet at night too. Overall, a good stay, and I will probably be back at this property if I am in the Phoenix/Mesa area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I'm so glad you wrote about your recent visit here to the Residence Inn Mesa. This is a great example on how we can enjoy the kind compliments you've given our hotel and staff, as well identify some areas we can work to improve on. As a team, we sometimes don't see what our guests see - which is why comments like yours are so valuable to a team committed to excellence. I have shared these observations with our entire staff and am confident your next stay with us will be even better than the "Well Done - Solid Hotel" moniker you gave us!!!. - Robert Baker, Director of Sales
Boston,MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This Marriott was very comfortable and had everything we needed for a 3 night stay. The staff was very welcoming and professional through out our stay. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a living area and kitchen that we shared with our 2 teenagers. It was a great configuration for us. Everything was very clean and comfortable. Well appointed but not fancy. It was a bit cold at night but the hot tub was very nice and not busy in the evening. Our room overlooked the pool area, which was a nice view, but a little noisy one night since we liked having the windows open. Breakfast was pretty good, but the same each day (scrambled eggs, sausage, shredded potatoes, waffles). Also fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins. The hotel is 5 minutes from the mall, and 15 minutes from Arizona State. I thought the AAA price was reasonable for what we got. I would recommend staying here and would come back again.

Room Tip: 3 floor facing the pool had nice view but a bit noisy if windows left open
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your kind comments and observations. It's feedback like this that makes all the little things we do as a hotel worth it! I am so proud of our entire team here and am personally thrilled when our guests share that same feeling. Hope to see you again soon! - Robert Baker, Director of Sales

Been to Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa? Share your experiences!