“Where are the towels?” 2 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
“Where are the towels?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel recently with two other guests. Our room was supplied with one bath towel, one hand towel, and one washcloth for three people. The lack of towels contined on a daily basis. Why is it not possible to figure out that three guests in a room means that three sets of towels should be placed in the room?

While the room was "renovated" the bathroom was not and was in serious need of repair. The mattresses were also in serious need of replacement.

The hotel is simply not worth the price travelers are expected to pay for a room.

Stayed February 2014
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform of us about your stay. The amount of towels that were placed in your room--or more importantly, not placed in your room has been reviewed with my Housekeeping Manager. The associate that serviced your room during that time period has also been spoken to. The performance by our staff was, and is, not acceptable to our standards.

I personally inspected the other issues that you mentioned. We inspect rooms throughout the week at various times, both from a housekeeping and maintenance perspective. I apologize for these items being missed in your room.

We hope to have the chance to redeem ourselves with you on another stay. I have attached my business contact information below, should you wish to speak to me directly.

480-464-5041 (office)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Camp Pendleton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Don't stay here if you want polite service when things don't go as planned. My brother and his bride booked a "block" of rooms (which were scattered throughout the hotel) approximately a year in advance of their wedding. We got the the Marriott and everything seemed fine. Until midday when the sun hit our window and our room reached over 85 degrees even with the shades drawn and the ac pushed down to 60 degrees. We had no air. We complained twice with no response from the manager, Daniel Gilbert. Finally, when my 3 month old was overheating and couldn't sleep, we asked for a fan and were again blown off. No one ever came to our room to check to AC. When my sister in law asked Mr. Gilbert why the AC was not fixed his reply was a extremely disrespectful "Well who could need AC in this weather?". I assume he does not frequent his hotel rooms to feel how warm they get during the day without AC. My sister in law was also promised a shuttle that was set up to go between Stonebridge Manor and the hotel where we were suggested to stay by Stonebridge staff. After struggling to get in touch with Ms. Samantha, who was supposed to be handling the shuttle, the attitude of the staff changed. They told us last minute that the shuttle would not be taking anyone to the venue and "made an exception to take the wedding party". We ended up renting a shuttle to get guests back and forth. There were other issues that I won't go into. My brand new sister in law left the hotel crying after Mr. Gilbert acted completely unprofessionally. This shouldn't have been an issue she had to deal with on her wedding weekend. You would think that the staff would be much more accommodating to a disabled Iraq veteran and his family, but they weren't. I love Marriott but am THOROUGHLY disappointed with the treatment we received here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for alerting us to your disappointment with our staff during your stay. My name is Donald Gibson. I am the GM of the hotel. You referenced me as Daniel Gilbert in your response.

Throughout the course of the wedding party being here at the hotel, I spoke to your brother and sister-in-law daily about any issues that they had. We spoke prior to the wedding concerning the "shuttle" service. We discussed the fact that the size of our "shuttle" would not allow us to get everyone to the wedding venue in a quick fashion. We typically only transport people within a three mile radius of the hotel. The venue was over 10 miles away, and with traffic could run anywhere from 20-30 minutes each way. Realizing the challenge, your sister-in-law chose to rent another shuttle. We agreed to transport the bridal and groom group to the venue. I apologize that the communication with the wedding venue was not accurate. We did our best to accommodate the needs of the group, but our shuttle is also listed as "based on availability".

I personally reached out to each individual that brought to our attention any issue that they had during their stay. I apologize that I did not have the chance to speak with you.

As for your brother, We certainly admire and appreciate the service that he provided to our country. I realize that we had a few hiccups during the stay, but as I said, we addressed them all as we were alerted.

I have listed my contact information below, should you wish to reach out to me to discuss anything further.

Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Booked the room for a guest and his wife that are speaking at our church. Our church is nearby so this was the ideal location. From the very beginning I got the run around from the hotel staff as to how much our room rate would be due to me using some of my reward points. When I asked if we could get a corporate discount being a non-profit corporation, I was told by the sales manager that only if we were LDS. She did say that she could check into it further and call me back and let me know if she would be able to get us some sort of discount. The sales manager never called me back. We needed the room for our guest so I continued to call to try and get a room rate and was given different rates. When I arrived to leave my credit card at the front desk prior to us picking up our guests from the airport, I requested a king size bed due to our guest being over six feet tall and I was told that it was available and again was given a different rate. Anyhow, we dropped them off after we picked them up at the airport late in the evening. When we picked up our guests the following morning, we asked them how the room was and they informed us that they were in a very musty room that was not cleaned very well and the room had two twin beds (must have been small doubles beds). When I called the front desk, I was told by Samantha that I knew I would get what was available when I booked and they were sold out on all king rooms. I told her that I was told it was available upon check in, she didn't care. They could care less about our questions, concerns, or requests. None of the staff ever gave me the same rate. That was the last straw and I cancelled the reservation for the rest of the week and as Samantha said, "ok, you must be out by 12:00" which we couldn't do because we had already left the area so we have to pay for another night. I wouldn't dare put our guest through that again so they wont be staying there tonight and I got them a room with a King size bed at the Hilton in Gilbert.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your concerns with your guest's stay at our hotel.

I apologize for the confusion with the rate discussions that you had with the various staff that you spoke with. As for the bed size, we guarantee room types at the point of reservation, when the availability allows us to do so. We were not able to do that with your reservation. The room was two double size beds, which is Marriott standard.

Our reaction to your frustrations should have been more direct, and provided you with a clear understanding. I am sorry that this did not happen. We would love to have the chance to accommodate any other guest that might be coming to speak at your church. I have listed my contact information below, should you wish to speak to me further. Please also feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation needs that you may have.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I struggled as to whether to give it 4 stars. I like the hotel a lot. The new lobby is modern and comfortable with inviting spaces. Even a fire pit outside to sit at and talk. The front desk staff was great. The room I was in was one of the refreshed rooms and so everything was newer with standard Marriott comfort. The evening snacks at in the concierge lounge was very good and much more than what some Marriott hotels put out. Breakfast in the concierge lounge was an issue. The pastries were very old and stale and I found mold on the white bread (which almost pushed me down to 2 stars, but hey, everyone makes mistakes.) My biggest problem...NO HD TV. Granted they have things posted saying that they are upgrading in the near future...but it is 2014. I NEVER expected to show up at a Marriott in 2014 to find that they didn't have HD TV. I actually only stayed one night instead of my scheduled stay because of small low def TV's.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond concerning your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

I appreciate all of the kind words you had to say about the staff, the lobby, and your guestroom. As for your concerns, I have addressed the bread/pastry issue with my Chef, and the concierge team to ensure the freshest products are available. The HD signal--or lack of, is one that we are currently working on. You are right in that this is long overdue. Our new project will offer 50 channels, with 25 broadcast in HD. The negotiations are almost complete, and we expect a 10 day project timeframe once the signatures are complete.

I hope you have the chance to return to our hotel--maybe to see a Cubs spring training game. I drew from your e-mail that you were a Cubs fan. You also show as being from Denver, so I will close by saying GO BRONCOS.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Room on the club level was spacious, well appointed and in perfect shape - must have been renovated very recently. Great views towards the mountains. Considering the reasonable rate it was better than I expected and one of the nicer Marriotts in the chain.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us. You were correct in pointing out that our upper floors had been renovated. We are very close to having the lower floors finished as well. Additionally, we are undergoing an extensive modernization project fro our elevators, and will be shortly enhancing our in-room technology with an expansive HD offering.

I'm glad you got to enjoy our wonderful views from your room. I think they are the best in the entire valley. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel location for Mesa and local area. The high floors have great mountain views and city . The breakfast Buffett is awesome. Close to both 202 and 60 highways so easy to get anywhere . Free shuttle within 3 miles also . If you get a chance to book early they have under $100 rates .

• Stayed January 2014
DonaldGibsonphxmm, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Ease of access, great views, wonderful location to downtown Mesa, and a great staff and service offerings are what we have to offer. What a package! Truly a hidden gem that provides the service and solace that travelers deserve.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our views of the Valley of the Sun are the best. Nothing better than enjoying a great scenic view, having a great meal, and being able to get to anywhere you need to with ease.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The room was typical Marriott nothing too fancy but nice comfortable beds. The breakfast in the Azul Cafe every morning was great. It is in an older section of town and a mile it two off the main highway, but a pleasant place to stay. Seems to be a lot f local activities like weddings.

Stayed January 2014
Renovations are a part of our business. If they weren't, we would not stay current and provide the level of accommodations that guest expect and deserve. Our room renovations will be complete by the end of February. At the same time, we are launching a technology upgrade to our guestrooms that will be done around the same time period.

We look forward to having you return and experience all of the new enhancements that our hotel will offer.

Donald Gibson

Been to Phoenix Marriott Mesa? Share your experiences!