“Your average Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Your average Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Phoenix Mesa Marriott is well located for those who need to be in the center of Mesa. Actually the location is quite attractive for a city center; the Marriott has its own convention facilities and the the Mesa Convention Center is adjacent and between them there is abundant parking. But there is nothing to distinguish it from any other generic Marriott except for the casual to the point of disorganized lobby desk that I experienced when I checked in and which was in evidence throughout my stay and also the clarity with which I could hear through the locked connecting door the conversations and persistent hacking coughing in the next room.

The hotel restaurant, Cafe Azul, is probably run by another company but when my young female server greeted with a "can I bring you a drink dearie", then brought the salad with a "here you are sweetie" and the main course with a "here you are honey", and the food is on the lower side of average in quality, sort of "family style", I guess, one begins to wonder how much the management of this Marriott really care.

I also deduct a point for all programs on the tv in the room being displayed in distorted wide screen mode with a limited remote control that had no settings button with which to select the correct aspect ratio.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Reviews are very important for our management to understand the overall experience a guest had while staying at our facility. Your review was personally delivered to all levels of our Management team to ensure that the perceptions and issues are addressed. Marriott hospitality and service should always be professional and we are sorry if we fell short of not making it happen at every encounter you had. These reviews allow us a perfect opportunity to improve for our next guest. We also wanted to note that we are glad you found out hotel's location ideal and our proximity to the City Center and Mesa Convention Center convenient with loads of free parking. We do hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to the Phoenix/Mesa area and you will see an enhanced Marriott experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool. Clean, neat, shower/tub with good shower head. Fitness center has a good amount of open space, 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical machines, and 2 stationary bikes (all with their own TVs) as well as a rack of dumbbells and a small universal machine. Staff was very sweet to our kids.

• Stayed March 2013
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
What a great review of our wonderful hotel. Thank you for mentioning all the important attributes that made your stay enjoyable. Our newly renovated Fitness Center offers top- notch equipment with TV's on all the equipment making the daily routines even more pleasant. We are happy that the friendly Marriott staff helped make your experience memorable and we hope to see you again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was here for a conference and i cannot find a single complaint - that even extends to the weather. conference facilities were great, meals were great, beds were huge and comfy and i heard not a peep all night from anywhere else. when i travelled they were doing some minor upgrades to the grounds but even then you never heard the workmen.

if given the choice definately go for a room on a higher floor as you get a fantastic view of the mountains! 10/10 guys!

Room Tip: again - go for a room on one of the higher floors you get a great view out over the mountains
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
We are extremely happy that the Phoenix Marriott Mesa exceeded all your expectations for an enjoyable stay and that you were kind enough to share it with all the readers. We do hope we are your first hotel choice when you come back to the Mesa/Phoenix area.
Anthem, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I'm a little late writing this, but I feel bad for not putting a review in! I brought my husband and two kids with me when I went to run the Phoenix marathon. We got in really late, with my kiddos flagging. We booked the room because of the free shuttle to the marathon only to find out that the late shuttles were all booked and I would have to grab one at 4 am! For a six thirty race! With two small children in a small room that was really just not a great option. The manager on duty that night worked with me to find a solution, really going out of her way to accommodate our young family. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms were clean, and we had a great time. The pool was too cold for our Arizona blood, but the little ones still had fun. The race took us close to the hotel, so next time I think I will tell the family just to walk a block to cheer me on. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
A wonderful and kind review is never to late and we truly appreciate your comments. We are ecstatic that you were given top notch Marriott treatment and that the staff found a way to make your morning easier before your run. Thank you for mentioning the very comfortable Marriott beds and how clean the hotel is, this shows the Marriott Pride shining through in everything we do. We hope that the Phoenix Marathon is at the same location next year so that we can have all the runners stay with us again. Hope to see you then!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights for the Phoenix Marathon. Convenient hotel for the race, in that they offered a free shuttle to the race shuttle pickup area.

Room was clean and comfortable. Batch products were Bath & Body Works. It is what you would expect from a Mariott.

Staff was very helpful in terms of assisting with pre-race information, as well as recommending places to eat and shop, along with directions.

Hotel is located about 1 mile from "downtown" Mesa, which isn't much but a few blocks of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We felt extremely lucky to have the Phoenix Marathon move to a location closer to our wonderful hotel. After reading your comments it looks like we prepared our staff for the racers needs and met all your expectations, especially the great Marriott Hospitality. The Downtown Mesa area is a hidden jewel and offers lots of restaurant options and quaint shops. We hope that will choose to stay at the Phoenix Marriot Mesa on your next visit to the Phoenix area.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK - I'll start by saying I feel bad writing this review. The staff at this hotel are really friendly and from the replies on this site, they obviously care about feedback. However, there are just too many lapses for this hotel to receive anything other than a terrible rating from me. I think the other reviewers have been far too generous. I am a Marriott Elite member and frequent traveler, so am familiar with the brand and expected quality. I have stayed at 2 other Marriott hotels in the Phoenix area and are happy with both (both were full for my current stay). Here are the significant problems I have encountered. First, the location is awful. If you want to stay in a light industrial park with local dining choices consisting of McDonalds, Denny's and Pizza - choose this hotel. Otherwise, there is no redeeming reason to stay here over other places in the Phoenix area. Second, despite booking a king, I was given 2 full beds (not even queens), or told to wait (I checked in after 4pm so no excuse). The rooms are small - and even newly renovated seem tired. My room was dirty. I stepped on popcorn in my room the day I checked in, there were pubic hairs in the bath and I just found a pill (not mine) on the floor by the desk after being here for a day (so 2 housekeepings missed it). The bath does not drain effectively (probably hence the hair), and the walls are paper thin. I was woken by my neighbor showering - and it sounded like it was happening in my room. The pool is TINY - the picture on the website pretty much captures the entire pool. The gym is lightly equipped and kept too warm for effective workouts. The TV in the room is smaller than most other Marriotts I have stayed in and the lobby, while renovated, is uncomfortable. You get the point. There is really no reason to stay here, when there are so many other great hotels in Phoenix at similar prices. I would rather sleep in a tent than stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Choose another property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I want to personally Thank You for taking the time to write this review. As hard as it was for you to write it was extremely hard to read and I immediately sent it forward to all managers. We are happy that you found our service and hospitality in line with the Marriott standards, but I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in many other areas. The front office and housekeeping issues are not acceptable and are being investigated on why they occurred so they will not happen again to future guests. We do find our location in the quaint Downtown Mesa area a draw from some guests who want the central East Valley location in a quite area with free parking. We actually boast that our pool is the largest in the Mesa area, but it does not compare to resort pools. I apologize if you were not informed that there are over 20 restaurants in 6 blocks, most of them on Main Street of Mesa, and with in walking distance. We hope that you continue to frequent Marriott's on vacation or business and that you know we genuinely care about our guests experience.
Columbus Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We arrived a little on the late side due to a flight delay and a map glitch. When we approached the hotel we heard loud music from an outdoor arena and thought we were in for an unpleasant evening. Fortunately, nothing could have been further from the truth. We requested a room away from the music and never heard a single note afterwards. We also were concerned about whether we could grab a quality small dinner late in the evening, and were happy to find that the food and service were top notch. Advice for self-parking, is that in addition to the adjacent Marriott lot, you can park in adjacent lots. The views are nice and the staff are uniformly friendly.

Room Tip: If there is a concert in the adjacent facility, simply ask for a room away from the music.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you found our hotel and that the band didn't affect your good night sleep in our wonderful rooms. We pride our self on Marriott Hospitality and we are glad that you experienced it throughout your stay. We hope that you stay with us again when visiting the Mesa area.

Been to Phoenix Marriott Mesa? Share your experiences!