“Dinner Detective” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Phoenix, Arizona
“Dinner Detective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first experience at a Marriott. We stayed just one night as part of a Dinner Detective experience for our 12th wedding anniversary. We very much enjoyed our evening--the entertainment was delightful, though the 'dinner' itself was only slightly above average. The bed in our room was less than comfortable--my husband's back told him it was too soft, but my back told me it was too hard. We did enjoy a room-service delivery for breakfast versus venturing out to find where the complimentary breakfast offered--this Marriott is a conference center comprised of separate buildings so we would have to actually go outside to find that breakfast. Ultimately, the room-service delivery was very good; both the food and the service. The only issue was we had toast with our breakfast order, but received no jams/condiments provided.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Congratulations on your 12th wedding anniversary! What a romantic way to spend it; by staying in and ordering room service. I am sorry we did not remember to send up condiments with your toast order. This subject was brought to our Room Service Department as a reminder that the details of every meal are very important to the dining experience. Our Marriott Brand certified Serta beds did not meet your comfort levels and we do apologize for this as we strive to accommodate all guests’ comfort and a great night sleep. We are glad you stayed with us on such a joyous occasion and hope that in the future our great service and newly renovated facility brings you back for more delightful memories.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Incline Village, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am a Marriott Gold member and travel a ton. I stay here when in town due to work since it is a preferred hotel partner. I have stayed here three times now and I like it but don't love it. This last stay made me realize that the concierge level they have at this hotel is good for the rooms and the remodeled aspect of the rooms but the executive level lounge needs help. The food they serve is not that great. Breakfast is mainly the sweet stuff and they did have eggs one day but I think they were made from a carton of fake eggs and had onions and all sorts of other items in them. Fruit was not fresh looking and the coffee machines are just okay with no good name brands of coffee being served. I also checked one night for sweets but some sort of brownie was the only choice - the chocolate chip cookies left in my room with the milk were much better. They do offer that service at the concierge level and that is awesome. They put the milk in your mini fridge.
Anyway, the executive lounge is lacking in that feeling of a warm nice place to hang out with good beverages and snacks. It is dated feeling and nothing good about the snacks from what I experienced. I ended up using it for bottled water. They need better brands of beer, wine, soda, coffee and tea with a latte machine. Breakfast needs some more inviting healthier choices.
The rooms are nice but I reserved a King room and told when checking in that all Kings are sold out on the executive levels but we could give you one on the lower floors. Whatever - that is not acceptable in my mind since I am a Gold member. The bed was comfortable and I did choose the two beds on the executive level but would have much preferred a King that was reserved.
The first morning I woke up I had a cold shower. I stopped by the front desk and mentioned it along with about 5 other people at the time and they apologized and said the storm knocked out the pilot light. Come on - I know Phoenix does not get many storms but really.
Location is not great also. There are not many restaurants or quick breakfast places around so you are sort of stuck. I am not the huge Starbucks fan but it is a safe go to. They offer Starbucks coffee in the bar but nothing else other than muffins etc. It is a safe area for the most part but older part of Mesa and parking is a pain in the neck if you come in past around 7:30 PM - you will be in the outer lot.
The entry and some of the rooms are updated and nice but really the property has a long way to go in my mind. The remodel is trumped by the dated feeling of the architecture of the building. Not sure exactly what it is but just not top notch. The views are amazing when up from the higher levels - there are 12 levels and the levels 10, 11 and 12 are concierge levels needing a key for access. I did find it to be very quiet and the sleep was good but when I left I was just not so sure I would be back. The price you pay is too high for what you get. They are charging close to or at $200 per night and there are so many other options if you drive a little South that are newer properties with nicer amenities. If you are at a meeting or convention then it will be fine but otherwise they need to get a little better than they are for the prices they are charging.
Happy Travels.

Room Tip: Higher the better which I found to be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We appreciate that you are a dedicated Marriott rewards member and we do appreciate you choosing our hotel when you travel to Mesa. We are very excited to finish our final stage of a 2 Million dollar renovation this summer. By the end of the summer all of our rooms will be renovated and match our wonderful NEW lobby, fitness center and concierge lounge. We are constantly trying to upgrade our exterior look with landscaping, but the 1980’s architecture is hard to change as you noted. Our Chef and Executive Team have been notified of your comments on the concierge lounge food selection and we have agreed to incorporate a broader selection to enhance the complete experience. The view of the city from the top floors is amazing especially if you catch the sunset in time, we only wish it was in the perfect King bedroom to make your stay better. We do hope your future stays in Mesa will be at our great hotel so we can show you continued Marriott Hospitality as well as the best product for the right price.

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Pro's- Property is clean, rooms were clean, nice little bar in the lobby and a restaurant in an adjacent building. Food at the Restaurant was very good, pleasantly surprised for a hotel. Service was excellent too. Front desk was friendly and went out of their way to make my stay a good one. they had several new(in training) people working at the front desk, but they did a great job. Always had a smile and again, went out of their way to make my stay a good one. This hotel gets an A+ for service in my book.

Cons-The location stinks, The area right around hotel is fine but more than a couple of blocks and it is not ok. Def. not the better part of Mesa/Phoenix. The location itself is probably enough to make this a hotel I would not stay in again unless I had too. Really is too bad too, cause it is a great property. Also the internet really did not work for me, kept dropping the WIFI, I called front desk to inquire about it and they said no one else had complained, so I assume it was just my computer. But since I have been away from the hotel I have had no WIFI problems. If I was the manager, i would look into the WIFI issues at the hotel.

Sum it up: Hotel was fine, staff was amazing, food was really good, location stinks.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Try the local beer..really was good!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and are especially glad you were able to enjoy a few of our key features. Thank you for noticing the efforts of our new front desk agents, to go above and beyond for our guests as well as the delicious food in our restaurant. Also, our WIFI provider Wydebeam has found the solution to a battery recharge and at this point we are perfectly connected to all Internet services. I do apologize you did not enjoy the Downtown area. Mesa is a quaint and historic town in the midst of rejuvenation. In the near future, Mesa will be adding the light rail, 4 new colleges, and night life that will promote our guests off property experiences. We do hope you will try us again and enjoy the amazing Marriott Hospitality.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I normally only book marriotts and recently switched from points at a hilton for this property. best part was seeing some ball players during spring training. I was disappointed with check in considering how often i do travel and staff was a bit off from what i accustomed to. the room was a bit outdated compared to my family who had a different room on concierge level. I had concerierge level priveledges though on a different floor and at first key didn't work to get there, we barely utlized and the internet was a pain as each time you logged on you had to re-do the password and login which was not provied to us at check-in. that required another phone call to front desk. they did recommend grandmothers for lunch while we waited for room and that was the best part. it was convenient to the highways and for us to get around. room service was wonderful. there was a concert that one night at the ampitheatre and we were informed a few hours prior. it was loud but our little one slept through it so that was a positve!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We strive to make every guest’s stay perfect and falling short of your expectations is not acceptable. We completed the top 6 floors of our room renovations last year and the second half of the hotel rooms will be renovated this summer to meet Marriott standards. I apologize for inconveniences of the internet; however we are grateful to provide complimentary Wi-Fi to our guests. We are actually ranked in the top Western Region for Marriott with ease of connectivity. Depending on the setting of the individual’s electronic device it may require logging in after exiting or a sleep stage. We hope you’ll give us a chance to show you what type of incredible service we can provide for your next stay at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was attending Ed Sheeran's concert at the Mesa Amphitheater, so I booked a room at this hotel since it's right next door to the amphitheater. By the time my flight got in, got the rental car situated and drove to the hotel, it was 4:30 and doors to the concert opened at 5:00. I parked the rental in the huge self-parking lot. The lot closest to the lobby was completely packed. The bigger lot was about half full. I am guessing a lot of people that attended the concert parked here because when I checked out the next day, it was hardly full.

I was greeted by one Front Desk Clerk and quickly then greeted by a second one. Very strange I thought. Taking a quick glance at her badge, I saw that the second clerk was in training. My thought was that check-in was going to take forever...and I was already running late. To my surprise, Michele was very efficient and checked me in quickly. I must have had a tired and anxious look on my face because she kindly offered me a bottle of water. Once checked in, I asked to use their safe deposit box as I had some items I did not want to leave in the room or take with me to the concert. She efficiently handled that as well.

The room was on the 8th floor (809) as I requested a high floor during my reservation. They only have 12 and 10, 11 and 12 are Concierge floors. I was pleased that my room faced the mountains and the Mesa Amphitheater. To my surprise, there was already a very, very long line. (See my review on the Mesa Amphitheater.) The room was adequately appointed. I was told it was recently renovated. I think it is more for the business traveler than the leisure traveler. There was no shortage of electrical plugs; they were all over the room. I liked the plugs at the base of the lamp on the night stand between the two double beds - very convenient.

I would like to thank Michele for making my visit to the Marriott a very pleasant one. I must have been to the front desk at least 7 times during my 1-night stay. Each time, she was very professional and greeted me formally remembering who I was and was very courteous. She provided additional bottled water so I can take one to the concert. She directed me to the business center and provided the password. She remembered that I had a safe deposit box and asked me if I needed to get my items (but another clerk had already assisted me with that). She asked me at one of my stops after the concert if I had enjoyed the concert.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Fantastic weekend and wonderful review of our hotel! Thank you for noticing and sharing with others our service. Michelle is a new member to our team and is demonstrating the quality we seek in our staff. She is already proving to be an asset to the company and hope that you can return and see that our entire team and hotel seek opportunities to go above and beyond for each of our guests.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed based on location for business excepected Marriott quality ....

No wipes sanitize fitness equipment for two days...

Towels in fitness center feel like sandpaper

*Coffee service in rooms is inconvenient … brand is cheap taste terrible and pots are old and have scale built up on them.

Housekeeping left trash from last guest under bed and long black hair’s on towel in shower. -really, really poor housekeeping. Shower needs grout cleaned.

Concierge breakfast and appetizer truly lacking… in fact Wednesday night at 7:30PM I went to see what the desert/snack choice was... there was absolutely nothing. If I wanted a cocktail there was no there to get the liquor out... Really, really lacking.

TV – had to call engineer to have picture fixed it never stayed correct....

I had to ask each day to have linens changed…

Wrote to manager --- no reponse... will never stay threre again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
The hotel is in the process of contacting this guest to get additional information and to resolve to their satifaction. We take all guest feedback very seriously and use this to communicate to our staff and to enhance our training. The Mesa Marriott has a manager on duty available at all times in the event any issues or special requests arise so our team can address immediately. We apologize for our service failures and we are awaiting a response from the guest to resolve accordingly. It is our goal to meet and exceed the needs of every guest and if we fail we will resolve immediately.

Mike Rock
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Their employee, Shauna, looked up and found "Filly's Roadhouse" restaurant about 20-25 miles away for me, a good country bar with good food. Well worth going there, towards Globe, on Apache Trail. My stay at the Marriott was excellent, good bartender, friendly staff, nice rooms, slept very well. Used the work out room, nice machines. Also available computers to use. Yes, would definately stay there again and would highly recommend to others. Thanks Shauna, for all your extra help, get yourself down to Filly's Roadhouse !!! Bob Christiansen 1/26/13

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Karen_Hunt_phxmm, Director of Sales at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for the fantastic review Mr. Christiansen and taking time to mention Shauna for her extra efforts. It’s fantastic that our staff and hotel made your stay so enjoyable. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond, we hope you can come back and we can take care of you again!

Karen Hunt

Been to Phoenix Marriott Mesa? Share your experiences!