“A wonderful retreat not too far from the city” 5 of 5 stars

Saguaro Lake Ranch
13020 Bush Highway, Mesa, AZ 85215   |
Ranked #2 of 55 hotels in Mesa
Phoenix
“A wonderful retreat not too far from the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have JUST returned from a wonderful nights stay at the Saguaro Lake Ranch. My husband had surprised me thinking we were just going out to dinner!

So men! or women! This is a great mini retreat if your looking for something different!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My family of 4 stayed for 3 nights to end a 2 week road trip in Arizona and N. Mexico. It was so relaxing, and the surrounding area is beautiful and quiet. The cabins (ours was right by the sweet river) were basic but comfortable (there is a fridge and microwave), and totally charming, as is the main lodge room (in a hunting lodge motif), with comfy armchairs and a poker table in the corner (where we played rummy). The breakfasts were great - first morning was berry pancakes, the next banana french toast! Our experience would not have been so special if it hadn't been for the managers, John and Sean A'Lee Bevell. They were so friendly and welcoming and we really felt at home. On our last morning we all rode with our guide into the Sonora desert on lovely horses, and our sons (aged 11 and 14) really enjoyed it. We would love to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the river, as these were peaceful and lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I were taking some visiting friends to Saguaro Lake to eat lunch at the marina. I decided to turn off at the Ranch to show them the horseback riding concession. To our surprise, we realized that Saguaro Ranch had overnight accommodations. We had lived nearby for 15 years and somehow missed it. Our anniversary was in 2 weeks and we reserved a cabin for the occasion.

We love the place. It was quiet and beautiful. There was a nice seating area overlooking the Salt River and plenty of other places to sit and read or watch the birds. There were herons, ducks and lots of other varieties. Speaking of birds, my wife and I looked up from reading at one point to find we were being circled by a flock of buzzards. We decided maybe we were too relaxed.

They have a wonderful, friendly and courteous staff. The rooms were clean and well kept up. We plan to stay again sometime soon with the grandkids.

Room Tip: The cabins at the west end facing the river have a great view of the canyon at sunset.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We enjoyed this resort so much in 2008, we returned again this year for the second time. Cozy cottages sit below magnificent palisades along the Salt River just below Saguaro Lake. The staff is friendly and offer a great ranch breakfast. We particularly appreciate the shuffleboard and pool table, let alone the heated pool. I am also glad NOT to have a TV in the room - it's a true getaway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kineton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

In Scottsdale for two weeks on business so at the weekend, hired a bike (bicycle that is) and the bike rental people recommended the ranch and gave me a great route to get there. Cycled 60 miles, and when I arrived, it was to the friendliest welcome ever. I had stopped at the Marina on Lake Saguaro for a meal on the way - and I'm glad I did as there is no access to the Lake from the Ranch.
The cabins are basic, particularly the bathroom, but very comfortable and the setting is amazing. There seemed to be plenty of people enjoying the riding and the fishing, and I just wish I'd had the time to take a kayak out.
I was travelling very light, so was glad to borrow a book from the extensive (and varied) collection available.
Breakfast was, as you would expect at a ranch, plentiful!!
It seems that nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the ranch - they all seemed really friendly and helpful. Particular thanks to Sean A'Lee for her help with the booking and to John for being a really friendly, welcoming, outstanding host
Focus on the word Ranch - don't even think hotel

Room Tip: I was in cabin 19 - the last one on the right in Palm Court. Great views of the fantastic rock forma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came for our annual siblings weekend: a chance to reconnect just the two of us without our families. This place was perfect, and we had ample opportunitiy to relax together and catch up: during hikes in the surrounding desert encountering all sorts of wildlife, a couple hours on horseback enjoying unparalleled vistas, lunching at the river while being entertained by coots diving, all while surrounded by the majesty of nature.

We experienced phenomenally friendly service from the time we made our reservations and throughout our stay.The whole place exudes rustic charm of the old west without being kitschy. The well kept grounds show off the TLC the staff put into the resort and give to their guests. Our two bed cabin room was comfortable and very clean. The beds were firm, and the furniture was well kept up. The carpets were worn, and the bathroom could use fixture upgrades, but everything was functional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I choose to reserve here based on reviews that I saw online and I was not disappointed. My daughter and I were looking for a get-a-way for hiking and this was perfect. Everyone at the ranch was so friendly and helpful. Customer Service is priority one here. The location is beautiful and the breakfast is truly special. We had a great horseback ride and even better hiking. John and Sean Alee let us use a canoe to access even better hiking.
There was a great garden area with patio table and chairs on one side of the cabin and they even brought us down a fire pit to have morning and evening campfires.
This can be a great retreat for almost anyone and I highly recommend for anyone visiting the area! Thanks again everyone at SLR!!!!

Room Tip: All cabins seem to have a great view and the riverside ones look amazing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Saguaro Lake Ranch? Share your experiences!