“18 day stay!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
athens
“18 day stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

I stayed at the Windemere for 18 days and it was exactly what I needed. It has a pool which is open 24 hours including a hot tub, and there is breakfast served daily as well as brunch on weekends. I wasn't planning on spending much time in the room anyway, but for while I was there, the spacious rooms and "terrace", as well as having cable TV, there wasnt much more I needed. Micowave, coffee maker, and fridge was available, and it was located just 5 minutes from a Walgreens. Staff was reasonably friendly, some more than others, but on average I was satisfied with my stay. If you need a place in the area, I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brookings, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Me and my father stayed at this hotel because we have family in town. It is an older hotel that they try to make look nice. The rooms are spacious, and the pool is warm. It is also a plus that they have continental breakfast and internet access, but the rooms need some work. The showers are on the outside wall, so there is a window right in the shower, which is kind of disturbing, and even though it smelled clean, it didnt look that way. The stay at the Windemere was just okay, nothing great. I would suggest finding something a little nicer if you plan to stay for more than just one night.

• Liked — good location, warm pool, large rooms
  • Disliked — somewhat dirty, and rooms need some work
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix,AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Me & my daughter (age 25) was in the middle of moving back from another state and needed a place for aprox 2 weeks, and we found this hotel in a travelbook. We rented the room for 1 week and then re-rented it for another. Upon checking in, I paid a $50 refundable deposit with them and they gave me a small piece of paper which looked like a coupon and said to bring it in when i checked out to get the refundable deposit back, on the day I went to check out I couldnt find that little piece of paper and told them THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME BACK THE DEPOSIT. I know $50 isnt much but I paid about $1,500 to stay there for 2 weeks and i needed that deposit back, To this day they will not acknowledge my emails or have they given me my refundable deposit back. I think it is poor customer service and I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE, sincerely Debbie Catanzaro Phoenix AZ debbie_catanzaro@yahoo.com

• Liked — where it was located
  • Disliked — customer service front desk
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Juan Capistrano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

We stayed at the Windemere in Mesa, AZ over the Thanksgiving holiday. During our stay all the staff was very courteous and helpful in every respect. When we left, we accidentally forgot a cell charger and my sons sandals had been lost. I asked about the sandals two days earlier but they hadn’t turned up. After calling about the charger not only did they promptly send it, but my sons sandals as well !!! That is what I call fantastic service !!! Someone was really on the ball. We've stayed there before and are always pleased with the staff and the grounds/ammenities. We recommend it.

Marnie Cesarini

• Liked — I liked the layout of the facility; felt like it was safe for my kids and easy to get around
  • Disliked — It's relatively small, i.e., the pool area and rec room were always over-crowded (that's both good and bad)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sedona, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

Hmm. The room reeks of bad air freshener but the sliding door doesn’t have a screen. Do you let in some fresh air, along with every bug in central Arizona? Or do you keep the door closed and hope you don’t get a headache?

Decisions. Decisions. Welcome to the Windemere, which looks a lot better on its website than it does in person.

This is an older property with a large central courtyard that contains a pool and jacuzzi, which are open all night. If the kids get rowdy during the wee hours, a security guard comes by and asks them to quiet down.

Though perhaps somewhat luxurious and thoughtfully designed in its day, aging has taken its toll. Our room was dated; the queen bed was fairly new but the rest of it had an early 1970s ambiance. The bathroom had never been updated and the cracked and stained floor tile was in need of some serious repair. There was a sliding door that led to the courtyard, but, as we mentioned, screens were a thing of the past. One gets the impression that management is running the place into the ground a bit, making only the most basic repairs and updates and only when necessary.

We paid about $55 with a Roomsaver coupon, and it wasn’t worth it.

• Liked — Leaviing
  • Disliked — Bad air freshener, no screen on the sliding door
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

i had a swarm of flies in my bathtub. when i told the front desk staff what happened, he said he would need a manager to handle the situation but no manager was availalbe. i ended up cleaning the bath tub myself. when i checked out of the hotel i asked if there was a manager who could comp my room and once again no manager was available. i left my phone # and email address with the front desk staff so the manager could call me. i waited two days and still hadn't recevied a call back. i ended up calling the hotel myself. the manager said that they couldn't control flies- but i think you would call an exterminator to fix the problem if it was a recurring problem!!! the customer service made an already bad stay even worse. the pics on the website are deceiving- the hotel has 1970's decor and needs to be remodeled in the worst way. i also had to use the office manager's computer to check-in for my flight because the computer in the lobby was broken. what kind of conference center doesn't have a business center or working computers???

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

We were looking for a cheaper place to stay for one night and found a highway coupon book offering a room for $49.99. They didn't have any of those BUT they had one for $59.99 +++taxes. At $49 it MIGHT HAVE BEEN a bargain.... The room was quite large and fairly clean. However, that's all I can say good about the place.....The dryer was not working and it did not appear that it would be in the near future. We had a snack at breakfast but didn't stay long as the place was not very clean.

With a lot of painting, maintenance and landscaping, this could be a beautiful place. I think they mostly cater to large affairs and just rent the leftover rooms when they have them but I'm not sure about that. The entire property looks forlorn and uncared for. I would not swim in the pool and did not see anyone else in it so I walked over to have a look and it was chipped and not cleaned.

There was only one person at the desk and she was usually off taking care of some problem or other so anyone who needed service at the desk just waited.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — overall experience was depressing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Windemere Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!