“Filthy run down rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 55 hotels in Mesa
Hartland, Michigan
“Filthy run down rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

When making reservation I requested non smoking room. Upon arrival after a long flight we opened the door to what was the most stinky room I have ever been in. Not only did the room reek of cigarettes the carpet and bedspread looked as if they had never been cleaned. The bathroom floor was very dirty, the phone's directory was torn off , there was a phone but you didn't know if you were calling the office or where. I tried 0 and did get the desk as we were requesting another room. No rooms were available that night but the next day they did move us to the other side of the hotel in a nonsmoking room with a view of the pool which was better than the other room by far. They gave us one really small shampoo for three people, no conditioner. We were there 4 nights and they didn't replace our dirty plastic glasses we had to go to desk ourselves to get more. They also didn't refill the complimentary coffee. I guess you only one pot no matter how long you stay. I asked for extra pillows at 7 pm and I had to go to lobby to get them myself. The first room was barely a 1 star the second room was about a 2. The pool was nice and the area around the pool was in pretty good shape compared to some of the other areas of the hotel. Breakfast was typical continental buffet.

Room Tip: Spend a few more bucks and go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

I would first of all like to apologize for your unpleasant experience at our hotel, it was certainly not our intention for you to have anything less then 5 star service, We highly apologize that your first room had the smell issue, we are glad to know your second room was better .Due to the busy season we may have not been able to leave the desk to deliver the pillows which is why we may have requested you to come down if it was after the housekeepers had left. Once again we are very sorry for this inconvenience

Windemere guest relations.

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sierra Vista, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights.was late che ck in friday evening.As soon as we walked into room the stench was horrible.I believe it was the carpet. Asked for another room the next morning nothing available.talked to manager marsha who told us she'll send the cleaning lady back for deodorizing room.gee thanks.breakfast and pool was okay.Sewer busted in the street could nt leave the room door open.stench was unbelievable.

• Stayed March 2014
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

We're sorry that you did not have a good experience when you stayed at the Windemere Hotel Mesa, and we understand your frustration. When such a problem arrises, we take it very seriously. I can assure you that we have made every effort to correct this issue. We hope that you will try us again when your travels bring you back to Mesa area.

We apologize about the sewer pipe issue, unfortunately it was something we couldn't for see coming . We are very sorry about that and we should have been able to move you to a different side of the hotel if we would have known the discomfort it had brought you.

Kennewick, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The photo of the hotel looked nice and it was near our destination. The grounds were nice and in much better condition than the guestrooms. We had planned to stay for 4 nights. Our room smelled of smoke and had many cigarette burns in the carpets and counter tops. The carpet was filthy and the furniture and bathroom fixtures were dated and damaged.There were no other rooms available in other area motels that evening, so we had to stay one night. We found another much cleaner place at a lower price for the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. It is always our goal to provide a most comfortable stay, and we are very sorry for your room having the smoke smell, We do apologize if your room was meant to be non-smoking and had the smoke smell, As smoking rooms will tend to have a slight smoke smell as they are intended for our guest's who prefer to smoke in the room. Once again we are very very sorry

Windemere Management.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed for 10 days in February and this was mostly due to the fact that we didn't plan ahead and rooms were scarce when we arrived in Phoenix. The room was dated and the carpets are overdue for replacement. The plus side for us was the large private balcony with three chairs and a table overlooking some beautiful trees. We sat outside here as well as the pool area which is quite lovely, and very well maintained. The location was good for us, close to golf courses, shops and some decent reasonably priced restaurants. The room had a microwave and a mini fridge.
Price - $80.00 plus taxes, included a grab and go breakfast. This breakfast was not so great, a hot oatmeal plus anaemic looking taters, gravy and hard biscuits. Muffins tasted as if they were a day or so old, but I noticed some people eating so it must suit someone.
I doubt we would stay here again, however, one never knows......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Karol M

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It is our pleasure to hear about your positive experience here. We strive to cater to the needs of all our valued guests- the added convenience of complimentary high speed Wi-Fi is always available to you.we will take your suggestions and work on improving the breakfast issue you faced at our hotel , along with the decor of the room, We are working on renovating the hotel and we would love to have you back once everything is complete. We highly appreciate your candid review and your valuable time.

Crescent, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

we made reservations and specifically asked for NON-SMOKING. I can not stand cigarette smoke and I get a sore throat. So what did we get? A room that looked like it had just been used for a smoking party. Large cigarette burns on the carpet and counter tops and the smell of smoke was terrible, plus the room was filthy. We tried to get another room but was told this is a non-smoking room and they did not have any more available, plus we should have made a reservation sooner then 2 weeks in advance.. As we had driven all day we did not have a choice. We did request that someone clean the room, which they said they would. We got back 3 hours later and the room had not been cleaned. Again we requested the room be cleaned. The manager of room service went to clean the room as we once again waited. I seen this manager return carrying a lonely rag and said she had cleaned the room That could not have been true because when we went into the room it was still the same. I then spend an hour cleaning the best I could. We had planned to stay 6 days, but by the 3rd day I could not stand the smell, plus I had a sore throat, so we left. I would highly recommend everyone check other hotels/motels in the area before making reservations here. I know I will never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very sorry for the communication mixup you had while making the reservation, we would like to invite you back with 10% off your next stay for the inconvenience. We do understand the frustration of not having a non smoking room when you asked for a non smoking . we are truly very sorry about this.

Please feel free to call us at the hotel directly prior to your next booking so we can give you the most accurate info regarding the hotel.

Once again we are very sorry for this.

Windemere Management
milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I surprised to read some of the other reviews that said the rooms were smelly and shabby. I thought my room was fine, nothing real fancy but I did like the balcony overlooking the courtyard. As for clean it could have used a little more vacuuming and the tabletop on the balcony table was filthy but otherwise things seemed to be in reasonable shape. Breakfast was terrible with watery sausage gravy, stale biscuits and sour milk so I would avoid that if at all possible. Price I thought was good at 109. per night on weekdays during peak season. Other rooms in the area started at 129+.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear kenaMilwaukee,

We do apologize for the cleanliness issue and we will be sure to rectify that problem . Also we do apologize that the breakfast was not 5 star, We would love to offer you 20% off your next stay and would love your candid opinion once again and appreciate your opinions.

we hope you enjoyed the added convenience of complimentary high speed Wi-Fi is always available to you. We’d love to have you back next time you’re in Mesa,AZ
Thank you again for your time!
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were in town visiting with friends and decided to stay the night here instead of driving 2.5 hours back home. We had luckily decided NOT to make reservations and just showed up and decided to play it by ear. When we got here they had two smoking rooms left as most of the rooms in town were booked up this particular night. I was all ready to give her my credit card and check in when I started getting very suspicious. The courtyard as I peeked around looked nice, but the lobby was extremely beat up and dirty (and everyone knows this is generally the nicest part of the hotel, which was a bad sign). The front desk person was nice enough and straightforward. She was very nice to me, but she was fighting with some long term tenants who were paying day to day with cash and asking how much they owed to continue staying there. It seemed like a motel rental question, not a resort hotel discussion. This to me was big flag number two. Then the front desk person handed me a key and suggested that I look at the room before staying there because "THEY WERE NOT WELL MAINTAINED OR CLEANED AND I MIGHT NOT BE SATISFIED WITH WHAT they had to offer. That is a direct quote; three strikes and you are out with me. I took the key and as I went to check out the room, I realized that I didn't want to say anywhere that I had to see before deciding to stay. I have two small children and I did not feel safe here. Small favor is that I had NO reservations and went to stay at another nice hotel elsewhere in town.

Room Tip: Don't stay here and if you do be warned, check it out first and get a non smoking room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Guest_services2013, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

We're sorry that you did not have a good experience when you stayed at the Windemere Hotel Mesa, and we understand your frustration. When such a problem arrises, we take it very seriously. I can assure you that we have made every effort to correct this issue. We hope that you will try us again when your travels bring you back to Mesa area,

We would also like to offer you 20% off your next stay with us and we would love for you to give our hotel one more chance.

Been to Windemere Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!