“Clean but in need of serious updating” 3 of 5 stars

Windemere Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   5750 East Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85205   |
Ranked #43 of 55 hotels in Mesa
Buffalo, New York
“Clean but in need of serious updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Nice extremely big room that at one time had been very nice but is showing it's age. The carpet was worn, the walls in need of some paint and plaster and the tub was chipping where they had tried to redo it instead of replacing it. The furniture in the room was functional and nice once but it is showing a few scars. Despite the age they did a very good job of keeping the room and the street side clean. The furniture on the patios were dinning room chairs and none of them matched from room to room. Not something to relax on and be comfortable. My only big complaint was there was dog poop on my patio the three days I was there so nobody is taking care of the patios. The rest of the outside seemed well maintained and the pool area was very nice but I didn't get a chance to see how warm the pool was. Typical motel breakfast provided. The lady that maintains it is constantly fussing over it to make sure it is perfect. I had no concerns about the neighborhood. Within an easy drive of lots of shopping and places to eat. The front desk staff was awesome and the internet worked very well. Nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room. Bottom line is it's a very reasonable motel that you aren't going to be afraid to stay in. Yes it cold use some updating but then the price would surely go up. For the money and location I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Stayed at the back of the property and it was nice and quiet. Also a nice walk to breakfast in the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
JamyBelcher, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for notifying us of your experience! Were glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you mentioning our great staff!
Our team appreciates your feedback! Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you. Our goal is to make your stay enjoyable!!!

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This property is sorely in need of renovation & updating, but thankfully the price was right. The pool area is a pretty little oasis. The rooms are adequate though dated. The breakfast buffet, while lovingly tended, is really just a carbohydrate fest (bagels, cereal, tater tots, biscuits). Don't go here expecting resort living, but if you need an affordable step above a super-cheap motel, this one fits.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
JamyBelcher, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for notifying us of your experience! Our property is currently renovating our sleeping rooms and all should be complete by the end of 2012. Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you. Our team is committed to clean rooms and great service!
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had booked a room at a different hotel, but desperately needed to leave that hotel - with nowhere to go. I had to travel to Mesa due to the passing of a family member, and needed to find a room for the night. Unfortunately it coincided with the spring training, so almost all hotels were booked solid. Luckily they had one room left and they were kind enough to give us a bereavement discount. The room was clean and spacious enough for me and my sister. They had a very nice breakfast set up downstairs - pastries, bagels, hard boiled eggs, and even a waffle maker. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
JamyBelcher, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for notifying us of your experience and our sincere thoughts with your recent loss. Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you. Our goal is to make your stay enjoyable, clean, and safe with great customer service!
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

First room smelled of urine. Mold everywhere. Moved after we complained. Breakfast buffet was yuck. I was left with an asthma attack from all the filth.

Skip it for a Motel 6.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
JamyBelcher, Guest Relations Manager at Windemere Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you for notifying us of your experience. We strive to provide you with the best possible service, and when you feel that it fails to meet your expectations, it’s important for us to know.
We’re sorry that you experienced an unacceptable stay that prompted you to this survey, and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you. We are currently renovating several rooms and were glad we were able to move you to a better room.
colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Booked this spectacular resort style motel on "Orbitz" thanks Orbitz for the great job of misinformation!

This place is apparently used as a conference center. "Conference Center" being code for dog show event center.

The Oder from the room was powerful enough to make you step back and say "am I required to enter with a Bio-Hazard Suit?"

The repair work is comical and done by amatures.. My 9 year old would take more pride in the "touch up painting and caulking"

All the furniture is .... Well not in great shape.. Expect chips, stains and that early all American (1960-1980) style.

The pool area is a welcomed surprise.

The carpet was new.. My only concern is that with all the dogs and dog pens that the dog show people brought into the rooms.. Well you get the picture.

• Stayed February 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Price was reasonable for the ammenities. Comfortable bed, clean, and the Continental Breakfast very sufficient. Was extremely impressed w/the cleaniness of the kitchen area for breakfast. Emaculate and very pleasant. Good offerings. Service desk very friendly and helpful ! I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were visiting Mesa, AZ for a friend's wedding and my dad chose the hotel. My husband and I had one room and my parents were a couple doors down.

I'll list the PROs and CONS separately:

PROS
-HUGE room. Would be great if you a family in there so people could spread out. There was a somewhat separated bar with a mini fridge and microwave
-king size bed
-Decent continental breakfast (waffles, eggs, toast, cereal, juice, coffee)
-Didn't use pool or jacuzzi but looked big at least
-Organic soap, lotion and shampoo (found that really surprising)

CONS
-Definitely old. A lot of the molding was cracked and dusty. Some stains on the couch and chair made me fearful to sit on them
-Cracked, broken and mismatched chairs on all of the balconies
-bathroom was absolutely bare - no color
-Wasn't sure what these were but extremely sketchy and run down apartments/hotel rooms that were in the same parking lot, but not necessarily connected with the hotel? I'm not quite sure. It looked like they used to be hotel rooms, but now they rent them as apartments? Whatever they were they were very run down and a little scary. I wouldn't have wanted to walk around outside our room by myself as a woman...

This isn't a PRO or CON just an observation. The weekend we were there, there was huge dog show happening at the hotel. So the first night I tried to walk to the jacuzzi via our balcony and ended up setting off a series of barking dogs throughout the entire courtyard. I was definitely embarrassed and a little annoyed. And then the second day, after the dog show all day, the hotel was a mess! There was trash, and doggy poop bags, all over the place...

Ultimately, would I stay here again? No. Sure I didn't have any one specifically bad experience - but it was just definitely not ideal. I would opt to pay a little more and stay at the Days Inn, or better yet just suck it up and drive 15 minutes to the next bigger town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Windemere Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!