“Decent for the area...but still not ideal” 3 of 5 stars

Windemere Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   5750 East Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85205   |
Ranked #43 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Los Angeles
“Decent for the area...but still not ideal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were visiting Mesa, AZ for a friend's wedding and my dad chose the hotel. My husband and I had one room and my parents were a couple doors down.

I'll list the PROs and CONS separately:

PROS
-HUGE room. Would be great if you a family in there so people could spread out. There was a somewhat separated bar with a mini fridge and microwave
-king size bed
-Decent continental breakfast (waffles, eggs, toast, cereal, juice, coffee)
-Didn't use pool or jacuzzi but looked big at least
-Organic soap, lotion and shampoo (found that really surprising)

CONS
-Definitely old. A lot of the molding was cracked and dusty. Some stains on the couch and chair made me fearful to sit on them
-Cracked, broken and mismatched chairs on all of the balconies
-bathroom was absolutely bare - no color
-Wasn't sure what these were but extremely sketchy and run down apartments/hotel rooms that were in the same parking lot, but not necessarily connected with the hotel? I'm not quite sure. It looked like they used to be hotel rooms, but now they rent them as apartments? Whatever they were they were very run down and a little scary. I wouldn't have wanted to walk around outside our room by myself as a woman...

This isn't a PRO or CON just an observation. The weekend we were there, there was huge dog show happening at the hotel. So the first night I tried to walk to the jacuzzi via our balcony and ended up setting off a series of barking dogs throughout the entire courtyard. I was definitely embarrassed and a little annoyed. And then the second day, after the dog show all day, the hotel was a mess! There was trash, and doggy poop bags, all over the place...

Ultimately, would I stay here again? No. Sure I didn't have any one specifically bad experience - but it was just definitely not ideal. I would opt to pay a little more and stay at the Days Inn, or better yet just suck it up and drive 15 minutes to the next bigger town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Girl at front desk was very polite and helpful. The room we had was big and well maintained. Would be nice to have gluten free food at breakfast. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Our stay here lasted less than 5 minutes. We checked in, walked into our room to be hit with the horrible perfumed scent of carpet cleaner that is only used to cover up filth, not actually clean anything. It didn't help... It was just disgusting. A quick scan of the room told us it was not the room we booked.

We headed back to the front desk, confirmation in hand, hoping that when we got the right room it might be better...

A brunette at the desk tried to be helpful but the other, blonde (i wish i had a name) was snippy, rude, quippy and basically blamed us for booking a room that apparrently doesnt exist although we had a confirmation from the hotel.

She was just as aweful as that room! We cancelled, left and headed down the road which turned out to be a wonderful lucky thing. Check my other reviews if you want to know where you should stay in this area... But don't bother with this roach trap!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Fremont, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

Booked reservation online, if I wouldn't have called the night before, I wouldn't of had a place to stay!

• Stayed October 2011
Show Low
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I would like to tell people that this is a very nice place to stay .It is very nice and clean friendly.
They will take pets and that means alot to me and some travelers. The lobby is beauiful and has a big swimming area and big back yard to walk the dogs with grass.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chino Valley, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked this hotel on Hotwire.com and did a thorough job of researching where we wanted to stay. When we got to the hotel, the front desk girl was a little curt. She asked if I was part of any of the groups staying at the hotel. I said no. She then gave me a room number and two key cards. I told her I had four people with me and we needed four cards. She just looked at me with a blank look so I left. She then mentioned a happy hour in the lobby from 5-7pm. I thanked her and we went to our room. It was on the furthest side of the hotel you could get. There was one other car parked there. We were put on the 2nd floor when no other rooms were being used. The moment I opened the door, I was hit with heat and a horrible odor. The carpet was filthy so we made sure to keep our shoes on. The one chair in the room was tattered. The tv didn't work well. The room wouldn't cool off. The bathroom was filthy. It was obviously a very old room and the repairs that have been made were very obvious. After about 30 minutes, I decided I wasn't staying any longer. I had come down to meet my newborn grandson and had other family members with me. I was extremely embarrassed that I had brought them to this place. We called the front desk and the girl said we had to contact Hotwire.com to get our money back. She didn't offer another room. Although, I probably wouldn't have taken it. Fortunately, we were able to get another room elsewhere and Hotwire.com is refunding my money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Thank god for windemere hotel. Got a great price online, half off. Got a really nice room with 2 queen beds,a fridge and microwave. Great breakfast...waffle maker,toast,cereal,muffins,danishs plus hot breakfast. Great helpful staff. Rooms were really clean. We had a room right in front of the pool. Definitely will stay here again.

Room Tip: Online booking seem to have more deals
Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Windemere Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!