“Don't Believe Everything You Read” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #41 of 55 hotels in Mesa
Mesa, Arizona
“Don't Believe Everything You Read”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The "official" Howard Johnson website says this hotel offers a continental breakfast, and has the symbol for free breakfast in the list of amenities. When I went to get my children breakfast, all they had in the lobby area was a bunch of empty table and chairs, 5 sad looking muffins and coffee. When I asked about the breakfast, the gentleman working there said, "we don't do that anymore". I told him it was on their website. He said he knew that, but there was nothing he could do about it. I felt totally lied to. There should be a sign at the front desk, or they need to tell people as they check in.
That was just the start. The sheets have burns in them, no bath mats, no cord in the phone...
When I peeled back the decorative blanket off of the beds, there was only a top sheet. I called the front desk (on my cell) and asked if they had any other blankets. The lady working was VERY sweet and searched for different blankets. She brought me 1, but it was stiff and VERY itchy, like something had spilled on it LONG time ago and no one did anything about it. I appreciate the effort she put into finding it for us, and I am sure she had no idea what it felt like in side it as it was folded.
I wasn't expecting a wonderful hotel as I know the area it is located in, but I DID expect to get what was offered on their site, and I do expect the beds and towels to be clean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cortez, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed in about a dozen Ho/Jo hotels and this one was by far the worst. The bathroom needed major repair I thought the ceiling was going to cave in at any minute. Poor picture on the TV no matter what channel it was on. Went in for breakfast at 7:00 and all the had were these tiny banana nut muffins and I mean half the size of a normal muffin and coffee which was empty. Had to ask this huge guy at the counter to make more. Waited 15 min for my first cup, took it back to my room and came back 15 min later and again no coffee. I think the guy behind the counter was playing games on a laptop probably his computer. I gave the service a 2 only because the guy working the counter in the morning. When I checked in the staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Riverside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a nice stay at the Howard Johnson. My room was nice and clean, everything was in working order. Checked in around 2, check in was quick and fast. The frontdesk knew alot of places in the area to eat at. She was very nice and welcoming. Will be staying here again in months to come. thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Austin, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at the Howard Johnson Mesa while on business, it was close to where I had my meeting. The room was clean and everything worked great, the TV got good reception and the wireless was easy to connect to. The only comment I have is, the area around the hotel is not the best. But to remedy that, they have video cameras all around hotel. And the staff does watch the property. The reason I know this, is because shortly after I checked in, I went out for a meal. When I got back, my room key didn’t work. Within 2 minutes the guy who checked me in, came down and let me in. When I asked "how do you know I was having trouble with the door" he said I was watching on the cameras. I thanked him for coming down so quick. But later I thought to myself, it’s good the hotel is monitoring what goes on. Makes me feel safe. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the place to anyone looking for a good clean and safe place to stay in Mesa.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Mesa Gilbert? Share your experiences!