“Outdated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area

You added Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area to your Saves list
Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1666 South Dobson Road, Mesa, AZ 85202-5699 (Formerly Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #35 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Tucson, AZ
“Outdated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We just stayed for one night and glad we weren't staying any longer....grounds are rather nice but facility overall is outdated......nothing special re the room.....very little "extras" in room (eg no laundry bag available; towels in bathroom very thin and small for showers).....comp breakfast although advertised as "full breakfast" offered the same as most motels....nothing special and the potato cakes available on our morning were like "bricks"......needed a knife to cut them...so neither I nor my wife finished them......I'd probably give the Inn an overall 2 1/2 stars if that was available.........just not impressed..........

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

wkaplan, Director of Sales at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear PapasmurfTucso,
Thank you for your remarks, which I have shared with my staffs.
Our teams are looking into making changes on the Free Breakfast by providing healthy breakfast such more fresh fruits,oakmeal, yogurt,pastries and coffee/tea.
We are at the moment making changes to up keep the hotel in providing excellent services and facilities to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Yuma, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Dobson Ranch Resort is an ok hotel, it is not a resort! It has a pool, but no other "resort" amenities. The room was clean, but so dark. Someone in my group described the room as "on the run from a drug cartel" style.

The location is very convenient for getting on the Superstition Freeway and anywhere else in Tempe/Mesa you need to go. For the one night we needed. Place to sleep, it was fine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear DLSArizona,
Thank you for your review. You had mentioned it is a Resort but it has always never been a resort since it was opened in 1979 by Dwight Patterson "Father of the Cactus League". The inn came alive when Milwaukee Brewers, Cubs and fans stays in this hotel for many years. Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites became one of the favorite vacation sports for East Valley visitors and baseball teams.
Our teams are working hard to improve the facilities and services to provide our guests Excellent Services.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Ended up staying here as part of a group and, like others have written, was concerned because of all of the negative comments. I would liken the room to an older Comfort Inn -- not good, not bad -- okay. Room was clean, I would describe decor as "threadbare." Lighting is poor in the room (and in the vanity area). Everything worked. It wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't particularly comfortable.

As an older property the construction was sound and there was no noise from outside or the rooms next door (and we were right next to the vending machines). The staff was pretty accommodating. There was some confusion because when I checked in I was asked for my license plate number and when I didn't remember off the top of my head the guy said to just drop it off later. When I went to drop it off later, I was told that they really didn't need it.

Don't expect to use the exercise room -- the large room near the pool is empty and there are a few old machines off the lobby. If you are bothered by insecure property (no locked entrance and all rooms open to inside grassy area), this is not the place for you to stay. I have to say the neighborhood seemed nice and I didn't feel threatened.

Breakfast was substantial buffet in restaurant and it was a step above a standard hotel breakfast buffet with hot and cold items. Restaurant is clean but looks like original decor from when hotel was built originally. Staff at buffet was accommodating.

It is in a nice residential area and there is a coffee shop as well as a Starbuck's across the street.

When I was checking in there was a man at the desk saying that he'd been told to come back to change his room because his original room wasn't to his satisfaction and they exchanged keys.

About a 15 minute drive from downtown area of Mesa. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the food was quite good and service friendly (if a little slow because they didn't have a full staff because it was the end of the season and our group pretty much filled the restaurant -- actually when you consider how many people were there the service was amazing).

Room Tip: If I stayed at this hotel because the price was right, I'd suggest checking your room right away...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Jane,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our teams are working hard to maintain our standards and we appreciate your recommendation. We do have security walk round the property to keep our guests safe. Your feedback is very important to us as a way to highlight areas we can improve in the near future.
I have shared your comments with our hotel management and owners accordingly.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites.
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I had to stay at this hotel with a group, and when I read the reviews I almost didn't go. I even called the hotel in advance to try to ensure I got a renovated room, but they gave me the standard lame, "We can't guarantee that" line. So I went to the hotel with no little trepidation.

Overall, I have to say that our stay was fine. Fine as in OK. Not good - but not bad. Fine.

One important thing you should consider is that there is really no security. Entry to guest rooms is all off walkways unsecured from the public. That gives it a very motel-ish feel. The area seems safe enough - within a somewhat residential area - but very close to highway 60. Surprisingly, our room was quiet, as it was on the south side of the hotel (away from the highway) and facing a residential road.

Fortunately, we got a room that seemed to have been fairly recently renovated. The carpet was good. The bath had a clean fiberglass insert. The vanity counter was intact. Some of the furniture was clearly older - a dresser that actually looked antique, and a chair with tired upholstery. The bed and bedding were fine. The sheets may have been old, but they were clean, soft and comfortable. Sleep quality was good.

As to public spaces... The lobby has been redecorated. The pool itself seemed clean and pretty well maintained, although the pool deck is crumbling and needs to be resurfaced. The furnishings in the restaurant were pretty tired.

Service was OK too. Some employees seemed pretty inexperienced, but everyone was pleasant. Breakfast was substantial - eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, pancakes or waffles, oatmeal, pastries, cereal, coffee, juice. Quality average but adequate.

I expected to give this place a 2 - but they exceeded my (low) expectations somewhat. I won't go back, but I didn't have an unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get something away from the highway - otherwise, noise could be an issue.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Runaway Boomer,

Thank you for your review. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl
Salamanca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

2nd Stay... we booked this hotel solely based on price. We got a great rate that we couldn't find anywhere else. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and settle for less. It's not a two star hotel. But definitely not more than 3. The free breakfast could really up the reviews if they hired someone who didn't overcook everything. Again the waffles were rock hard. Not even some yogurt? Our toilet leaked. The mattress pad was covered in long black hair. Ew. A desk clerk called our room at ten pm demanding I come full out a paper for our car which was already filled out the first night. Then he proceeded to argue with my husband about it. This hotel could be so much more. The ceiling vents are full of dust. Clean them. Put some speakers at the pool. Play some cabana music. Give it some ambiance. The pool is heated and a draw. A snack bar or even snack machines would be a helpful addition. The location is perfect. It's a better hotel than the others in that area. Manager was respectful in listening to our concerns.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gailmariehs,

Thank you for your review. I brought your concerns to my staff and owners. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. A snack shop/store in the lobby and pool restaurant service are two options being looked at. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I chose the Dobson Ranch Inn because approximately twenty years ago I lived in the Dobson Ranch area and was familiar with the property. Back in those days, the Dobson Ranch Inn was the closest thing you could get to a resort in Mesa, AZ, before the building boom of the mid to late 1990's. So, I had a picture in my mind of how things used to be. I would say the hotel may be past its prime.

Overall, the outside ground of the hotel were clean, and the lobby tidy. The pool and spa area were clean and seemed nice. Based on the photos on the website I expected there would be a proper exercise room, but was disappointed to find only a few run down pieces of equipment in a small room off the lobby. There are a lot of nice walking and running trails in the Dobson Ranch area, so I took advantage of that.

My room seemed to have been renovated not too long ago, as the carpet, paint and furnishings were in good shape and clean. The towels were terrible, however, and are something you'd expect from a Motel 6, threadbare and small. I would also expect a flat panel television in the room these days. I also discovered an entire wing of the hotel locked up, I'm guessing those are rooms which have not yet been renovated?

I was also very saddened to discover the restaurant had recently closed down, and only the bar was open. The bar serves some food, but the menu is limited. The restaurant does provide a breakfast, which is on par with a Marriott courtyard type of buffet, nothing special.

I'm told the hotel recently lost its affiliation with Best Western because the owners did not want to put money into resurfacing the parking lot, and some other issues. A hotel staff member said the owners put all of the money in the wrong things. I think I agree with them.

I've given probably a higher rating than maybe they deserve, but I was comfortable, it was clean, and it was quiet, and the price could not be beat.

Room Tip: Spend the extra couple of bucks, and make sure to ask for the "Executive King" room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
wkaplan, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Daimondtrim O.C.
Thank you for your review. It is clear you understand both the history and possibility for this one time Mesa Resort. We are celebrating her 35th year and it seems you remember her grander days. Today we are slowly returning her to glory and hope you will return again to enjoy your stay at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites.

Karl Le Claire
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Dobson rooms are hit and miss. Some are quite nice, some are less than good. My first room overlooked a parking lot. The furniture was dingy the halls were dirty. They gladly moved me to another room that was quite nice and was in the court yard. Unfortunately, two doors down was a trashy family who pulled the desk chairs outside where they BBQ'd on charcoal and smoked cigarettes nonstop...for 3 days. The hotel said nothing to them. If you've been to the Gulf of Mexico on the Louisiana shore you will understand what it could be like to stay here. The price is pretty low and kids like the pool area. Just don't expect a real "resort", in spite of what their iconic photo seems to depict.

Room Tip: Get a court yard room away from the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Msvmaier,
Thank you for taking time to review Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites. Sorry you had a disruptive smoking family near by. We cannot discriminate nor do we know what kind of people our guests are often times before it's too late. You are right, all rooms are not equal even though we try, some rooms do have newer things in them because the old items were replaced. Hopefully next time you 'll have better experience.

Karl Le Claire

Been to Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area? Share your experiences!