“Nothing to write home about.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1666 South Dobson Road, Mesa, AZ 85202-5699   |
Ranked #24 of 55 hotels in Mesa
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
“Nothing to write home about.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a conference so I didn't choose this hotel. The grounds are nice to walk around and I had a nice walk each morning. The desk clerk, Jake, was a nice young man and gave me a room by the pool and fairly close to where the group was meeting. The chair in the room was pretty worn. Towels very small and thin and really should be a better quality. Checked out the hot tub which wasn't too terribly bad. Some debris floating but I'm sure that was from the close proximity of the trees Lots of dirt in the bottom which looked to me like it hadn't been vacuumed in a while. Breakfast was just OK. Not much in the way of fruit. Smallest bagels I've ever seen. The group had contracted for snacks and lunch each day as well as dinner the first night. The dinner was terrible. Prime rib was tough, salad not fresh and something they called chocolate mousse inedible. The lunch on Thursday and Friday was average and they ran out of some of the selections and didn't have enough seating for our group. They seemed a little disorganized when setting up for the afternoon snack. Had yogurt out there but no spoons first day and cake and no forks. Almost like this was their first go around with a group! Two of the rooms I visited with friends smelled musty and thankfully not mine. The price was good so no complaints there. Wireless didn't work anywhere on the grounds but the lobby and everyone in the group complained about that. Thankfully I had my own wireless so I was good but I felt bad for the others as they couldn't get their emails. The coffee in the lobby on the second day was really gross and I truly do believe it was the same coffee from the day before. The staff I encountered was friendly. This isn't any place I would seek out. I think the photos make it look better than it really is.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We will be celebrating 35 years as a time honored vintage resort in Mesa. As you noted the grounds and rooms are large and charming. At present we are working with Cox Cable to improve our free internet service. They should be up and running by Dec 15 with streaming capability.

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Mesa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The issue with the room was that the internet only works on a part time basis and is very slow. Also, we found the breakfast offerings on the most part to be unhealthy so we only ate there once - it would have been nice to have some whole grain breads and cereals. and more selection of fresh fruit. It grows wild on trees around here.The room was big very clean and quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. All in all would stay here again as price was reasonable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review. As always we will be glad to have you back. At present we are working with Cox Cable to improve our free internet service. They should be up and running by Dec 15 with streaming capability. We have a whole new restaurant staff and the complimentary free breakfast has been improved, yet we recognize it's difficult to offer something for free and be able to please everyone.

san jose, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Overall an adequate place to stay, but nothing special. The room was fairly large with modest furniture. The bed was comfortable but their the pillows were small and square trying to be fashionable(?). The hotel property was nice and the pool large. My biggest grip was that the free in-room internet did not work for Apple products. The only place to use my ipad was in the lobby on a separate system. If you need to work via an iPad, this is not the place for you. Breakfast was fair but the eggs were tasteless. The towels were minimal and we're old and rough. There was not even a book detailing services like local restaurants, night life, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. At present, we are working with Cox Cable to improve our free internet service. They should be up and running by Dec 15 with streaming capability. Please come back and stay with us again.

Rockaway Beach, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

It sure looks like this could be a great place to stay! But it is a bit run down and showing its age.

We stayed for 3 nights in two connecting rooms. The Inn was relatively empty, just a handful of guests.
Very extensive grounds that are nicely maintained. This place is really spread out and has lots of parking.
The rooms were clean but could use a deep cleaning. Dust in corners and on top of switch plates. Dingy grout lines in the shower.

Trouble with hot water the first night. Turned on the shower to full hot and waited and waited for even warm water. Finally found that the faucet was plumbed backwards, hot is the other way (also it was not marked). The sink in this room and the plumbing in the other room were correct (hot to the left). Anyway, it still took forever for hot water to show up. I am guessing the water heater is a long way off and with hardly any guests using it it just took a while to get there. I also noticed that when I ran hot water in the sink it was tan colored, it showed up quite well in the white sink. The cold water was clear. It cleared up by the next day.

The fan in the AC unit was unusually noisy.

Many of the TV channels had grainy pictures and the remote needed new batteries. There was no TV channel guide in the room so you just have to surf to find the morning news you are used to watching.

Every morning when we returned from breakfast one rooms door lock would not let us in. Had to go to the office to get the card keys re-coded. Yes, every morning!!! They were unable to get this corrected. We had no trouble at all with the other room.

The towels look like the same ones Motel 6 uses. Thin and small. Use two and you can get dry.

There were no towels at the pool/jacuzzi area as I was told by the front office staff. Drip dry on my way back to my room... There were small children playing in the jacuzzi making it unusable. There are signs saying no small children in the jacuzzi, guess their mom couldn't read.

There is a full buffet breakfast served. I varies slightly each day. The food was hot but very dried out no matter what time I went to breakfast.

On checkout morning I was told my final bill would be emailed promptly. A week later I am still waiting...

On the bright side, all the employees I met were very nice and friendly. Especially the grounds keepers.

This place is acceptable but I will look for a different place to stay on my next annual visit to the Phoenix area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
As a New General Manager, I agree with you that Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites has so much potential. Thank you for an honest review. I assure you I am dedicated to see the property reach the potential and bring back the charm that has been radiated.
I apologize for any inconvenience your party experienced and welcome your return to renewe experience.
Peoria, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed there for a family wedding to be close to the wedding venue and the wedding party as we live on the other side of town. Do not judge this Inn by its website as the photos do not illustrate reality. Although the desk clerk was friendly the hotel is worn down, has cheap linens, the room smelled old and musty, carpet was dirty and in my opinion the room overall was not nearly as clean as it should be by any hotel standards. Also, it was hard to log on to the free wireless. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast but I heard from the rest of the wedding party guests that it was very good. The topper of the weekend is that I had called earlier in the week to confirm my reservation for two nights but we get a knock on the door while we are getting ready for the wedding that we needed to leave as we were to be checked out. My husband went down to the desk to straighten it out and they told us we would have to move rooms. Needless to say we didn't stay that night and insisted that they didn't charge us for a late check out. Which , by the way, I will be double checking my charges. Another sorry note is they also messed up on the newlyweds honeymoon suite as well. Fortunately it worked out and they got another room, but who needs that kind of stress on their wedding day! Sorry to say we will not be returning to the Dobson Inn Suites and would recommend you don't either.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
As a New General Manager, I apologize for your experience at the hotel. I am glad the rest of the wedding party enjoyed their stay and celebration. I am dedicated to constantly improving the stay of our guest. Presently, I am working on the internet and room presentation.
For your inconvenience I have credited your account to give you complimentary stay and also corrected the issue with the wedding couple.
I hope your family return to stay at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites as we continue to improve our services and facilities.
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room and property were clean and modern looking.
However the linens were terrible. Towels were so small and thin, that it was like trying to dry off with a thin dish towel. The bed sheet was worn and pilly. It was so rough that it was really hard to sleep. Don't be in the pool area at 10 when they close, as you will be yelled at to get out. I would suggest that they put a clock somewhere in the pool area, so people can keep track of the time, and not have to be scolded for not knowing that the closing time was close.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear ItsMona,
I apologize for any un-comfort caused by the bedding and towels or embarrassment a the Pool.
I appreciate your review and I am working with housekeeping to improve the quality of the towels and bedding. I will also speak to our night security to approach people in the Pool after ten with a much more pleasant demeanor.
Thanks,
Karl Le Claire
Alpine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

this a great place for families and couples. very clean room and grounds. the parking area is huge and well lite. the grounds are well maintained. room was good size, everything worked. the bed was great. they offer a free breakfast every day. this is a full breakfast with eggs, ham, potatoes, cereal, fruit, milk. you can eat in an outside area if you want. I get tired of hard pastries in a bag. kids will enjoy the pool area. inn is next to freeway so you can get to anything easily. lots of places to walk to from the inn. I always feel safe there. mesa is a very nice city. any time we go to phoenix I stay here. not a high brow hotel but it is a very good choice.

Room Tip: upstairs over looking the pool area. any room is great. because of building lay out there is no bad...