“Only so-so” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 55 hotels in Mesa
San Jose, CA
“Only so-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room and property were clean and modern looking.
However the linens were terrible. Towels were so small and thin, that it was like trying to dry off with a thin dish towel. The bed sheet was worn and pilly. It was so rough that it was really hard to sleep. Don't be in the pool area at 10 when they close, as you will be yelled at to get out. I would suggest that they put a clock somewhere in the pool area, so people can keep track of the time, and not have to be scolded for not knowing that the closing time was close.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear ItsMona,
I apologize for any un-comfort caused by the bedding and towels or embarrassment a the Pool.
I appreciate your review and I am working with housekeeping to improve the quality of the towels and bedding. I will also speak to our night security to approach people in the Pool after ten with a much more pleasant demeanor.
Thanks,

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Alpine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

this a great place for families and couples. very clean room and grounds. the parking area is huge and well lite. the grounds are well maintained. room was good size, everything worked. the bed was great. they offer a free breakfast every day. this is a full breakfast with eggs, ham, potatoes, cereal, fruit, milk. you can eat in an outside area if you want. I get tired of hard pastries in a bag. kids will enjoy the pool area. inn is next to freeway so you can get to anything easily. lots of places to walk to from the inn. I always feel safe there. mesa is a very nice city. any time we go to phoenix I stay here. not a high brow hotel but it is a very good choice.

Room Tip: upstairs over looking the pool area. any room is great. because of building lay out there is no bad...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 1 baggo,
Thank you for your positive review. We are always trying to improve and look forward to your stay on the next visit to Mesa/Phoenix.
Thanks,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I had a series of medical appointments in Mesa Arizona. We needed a place to stay each week for several weeks in a row. We decided to try the Dobson Ranch Inn. Let me say it was great!

First, the check-in. The Manager, Nicole was extremely kind and friendly. She exceeded my expectations and was able to meet my every accommodation request. The Room was not the fanciest rooms we've stayed in by any means but it was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Everything worked great, and the bed was perfect. My only negative comment was the pillows, sorry folks but these pillows have got to go!

The grounds were wonderful, the pool relaxing and clean. The free breakfast was terrific. Each day was a bit different. One day biscuits and gravy, another day sausage patties, another bacon but always scrambled eggs, potatoes, milk, juice, bagels, toast, cereal, fruit, and waffles all in a very nice dining area both inside or out.

I regret not getting the name of the gentleman that was attending to breakfast. He was always busy, cleaning this, restocking that, picking up dirty dishes, oh yes, actual dishes and silverware not paper plates.

I'm telling you, this place was wonderful and the price was as cheep as many places that leave the lights on for you. Close to everything I needed, good restaurants and fun entertainment. Thank you Nicole and staff, I will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: We only used the handicap rooms on the bottom floor, but they were good for our needs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dale R,
I am so glad we could be of service to you and your wife during your medical appointment stay with us. We are a convenient hotel to Banner Desert and Cardigan children's hospitals and pride ourselves in making patient's stay as comfortable as possible.
Thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

From Wendy who took my reservation to the maintenance person (who got the juccuzzi ready for us ahead of schedule because we were heading out to Scottsdale. The pool iwasclean and the juccuzzi warm. Breakfast was not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
Wkaplan599, Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are doing our very best to make our guests stay at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites a Friendly, Fun, Charming & Comfortable place.
Thank you to all our staff who take extra mile to make our guests happy.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've written about this hotel more than once. It's true that it's showing its age but I've always found it to be so reasonably priced that we keep coming back. The pool is a good size and clean and our grandchildren love to come over for a swim with us. The breakfast includes eggs and sausage, not just the muffins and sweet rolls of so many other inexpensive motels. (I also go to the Starbucks right across the street.) The rooms we have had over the years have always been clean. They are also large compared to other inexpensive motels. I've stayed here when there was a basketball tournament going on and all the rooms were filled with teenaged boys. It was still quiet. There are many wonderful bargains in Scottsdale in the summer so I'd suggest if you are on vacation, you might want to try one of the fancy hotels. It's fun to experience their glamour and luxury at a bargain price. But if this location is convenient for you, as it is for us, you still can't beat the Dobson Ranch Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wkaplan599, Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and we appreciate you take time to write. To show our appreciation to you as our repeated guest, please call us in advance and we would be most happy to upgrade your room in your next stay.

As on July 1, we are proud to announce the promotion of Karl Le Claire to the position of General Manager.

Karl brings unique combination of strong leadership skills and customer services. His goal is to create a culture of Friendly Service, Charming & Comfortable Atmosphere and Fun experiences for all our guests.

Going forward, his energies will be focused on raising the bar high as we collectively bring our training and service programs to another level to provide personal touches to our guests and create memories that will last forever.
York, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place needs to work on reservations and the front desk system. We reserved poolside adjoining rooms - no problem they said. Checked in and was told they had no such request. Clerk was "short" with us. Said they could move us the next day - wrong again and were told by a different person that the room we wanted at poolside (adjoining) is for "preferred" guests. I should add here that the place was nearly empty. Pool was nice but was opened over an hour LATE each day. Sign says 8 - but was opened at 9 to 9:30. Interesting enough they where there to lock it up at the stroke of 10. The hot tub was full of dead bugs and neither the hot tub nor the pool was cleaned in 2 days. The pictures they post are old. The place (outdoors and indoors) is getting run-down looking. Breakfast was ok but the cereal was stale. Housekeeping was nice but no one spoke English. Reading the other posts I will be sure to check my credit card statement. We stayed here because they have a deal with Cardons Children's Hospital (where my grand daughter is a patient) and came highly recommended. We were very disappointed.

Stayed July 2013
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

After I checked out of this hotel, 2 unauthorized charges appeared on my credit card statement. One was approx $230 USD and the other was $20 USD.

I immediately called the credit card company and the hotel. The hotel staff advised that only one person could address this issue. After several messages, the hotel staff person called back and acknowledged that the larger sum was "an error" and would be reversed. It was reversed, but in the interim, I had to pay the additional $230 to the credit card company to avoid a month of interest charges on this unauthorized sum.

The 2nd charge was for half a pet fee; the staff person stated that the other half was billed to my room mate's card without her authorization. The $40 pet fee was not in accordance with the pet fee terms as represented at the time of booking or upon check in.

Two days after check in, we received a call from the front desk, threatening that the hotel would send security to our room, if we did not disclose pet related information, to facilitate the hotel's imposition of its "new" pet fee structure. This threat was outrageous and possibly a violation of AZ Innkeeper law.

Prior to check out, we had many discussions with the front desk clerks about the hotel's attempt to impose a different pet fee on guests. The hotel staff assured us that everything was resolved prior to our final payment and check-out. Ultimately, the $20 fee was also reversed on my card, but not without this very annoying series of phone calls.

Room Tip: Pay with cash only, to protect your credit card.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!