“Older resort but very nice people” 3 of 5 stars

Arizona Golf Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   425 South Power Road, Mesa, AZ 85206-5295   |
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Molt, Montana
“Older resort but very nice people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed one night here as we were flying out of Phoenix-Mesa gateway airport the next day. The resort is showing its age, but still very clean and functional. If you are looking for an upscale resort this is not for you, but if you want a clean room with a comfy bed this will do. We stayed in a King resort room in a detached one story building. The room was dated, but very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Played the course that afternoon, about what you would expect from a decent public course. All of the staff at the resort were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Portage,Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I returned home Sunday after a week at the Arizona Golf Resort. This was our 4th trip here and once again we came back more than satisfied with our week. As has always been the case the staff went out of their way to help us. Many of them recognized us and welcomed us back. We played golf,sat by the pool, and had some great meals particularly the New York Steak.
Our room was clean and the housekeeping service workers were attentive to our needs. My wife and I being novice golfers preferred playing as a two-some late in the day and the golf shop was quite accommadating. One of the bev cart gals( Jody I believe) was awesome. Great customer service and a real people person.

We are already looking forward to a return trip next spring !!!!!

R. Maass

Room Tip: For close proximity to the pool/restaurant area choose a room between 211-216
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The family was supposed to visit St. Louis for the kid’s spring break and then the weather got to poor to drive from Cleveland, so I cancelled the trip and started looking for a reasonably priced trip to anywhere warm. Florida was out for price and poor weather and Texas was too costly, that left Phoenix Arizona. Price was good on a travel website and this hotel resort came up as 3 star location, so I booked it not knowing what to expect, it turned out very nice. The location is East of Phoenix but there are many highways to help get around. The resort is quiet though depending on the room the road can be a bit noisy.
The resort is a bit old but the grounds are well kept and the golfers did not disturb our activities. The front desk staff is very nice and helped in any way we asked. Each room has a small patio with a table and chairs. The rooms have a nice size refrigerator and a microwave. There were two pools with hot tubs and plenty of deck space to sit and enjoy the sun. We did have trouble with the wireless internet the first day and the maintenance crew found the issue and took care of it. The exercise room is rather outdated but I did all my activities outside in the great weather. The only downfall of the resort was the room cleaning. I will say the place was clean however we did find a water bottle by the bed and some left over papers that should have been removed prior to our arrival.
With all that said I would return to this resort.

Room Tip: If available get the upgraded room.
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed in Mesa, near Superstition Springs Mall, for 9 days in late March. We booked an Expedia rate of less than $80 per night which was well below other offerings for spring break. It's located in a safe area with plenty of shopping within a few miles.

We had driven by this resort for years and finally took the plunge, But when you think of the name "Arizona Golf Resort" what conjures up in my mind is:

1. Eloquent ground with lavish surroundings. False: This is nothing more than standard hotel rooms surrounding a very dated golf course. Yes the course is in above average condition, but inconsistent greens and patchy fairways take away from the "resort" experience.

2. Spacious luxurious rooms: False: Although we stayed in the lowest price standard rooms, these are no different from your standard Days Inn. The rooms are very dated with old style furniture and bedding. They are in desperate need of paint and some TLC. They were clean and quiet. Seemed to be a constant battle to get towels - some days we would get 2, some 3 and never 4 (although they knew we were a family of 4). Pool towels were sometimes unavailable.

3. Impeccable services: False: There is one restaurant on site. The main pool was closed 2 of the 9 days we were there.

4. Great service: True: We received some of the best service at any price. Courteous and friendly staff throughout. Great maid service (minus the towels) and a "can do" attitude.

As deals go, I guess we can't complain, but will likely not stay here again. I would give it a rating of 2.5, if that was available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting the golf course - makes for a nice morning coffee.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hotel: Room dated, but for the price a good value. Patio on 18th fairway. Room was clean, a bit dark and older TVs with minimal channels (included golf channel). Microwave and refrig nice to have. Accommodating for pets. Clean grounds, but bring your own poop bags. Only complaint was wifi did not reach the caseta suites-had to go to the lobby to check e-mail or look up events on the web. Staff very nice and accommodating. I would recommend—if you’re willing or can afford to spend considerably more for a high end golf resort this is not a place you will enjoy, however, for the price including the other amenities it has value.

Annabelle’s Restaurant: Breakfast buffet was a fair price with good variety. We had dinner three nights and the food was very good. Two nights we had the same waitress who was outstanding, the other night the waitress was good, but not outstanding. I would recommend.

Golf: The Pro Shop was very helpful and accommodating. I had a 10:30am tee time, but the three players the pro shop paired me with had canceled. I arrived two hours ahead of my scheduled tee time and was advised and asked if I wanted to be paired with another group or play alone. I advised I did not mind either—whatever accommodated the course would be fine as long as I had plenty of time to get my clubs and hit a small bucket of balls. I was told not an issue and I could start on the 10th tee. After hitting about 10 balls the starter came up and advised I would be playing with another gentleman and asked if I could hurry a bit. I told him I would be done in about 5 or 6 minutes. After hitting about three balls I hear the gentleman I had been paired with yelling at me across the driving range that I need to go now. I hit about two more balls and he yelled again we need to go now. So I left the balls to go. I could not see a reason for the rush. We teed off and I never saw players behind us. This was supposed to be a golf experience/trip; I arrived early to go through my pregame routine to be rushed by what appeared to be a local member of the course. It bothered me to be rushed (and I am not a slow player—solo 18 in about 2 hours and 20 min.).
The Course: The fairways were excellent, the greens very good for the time of the year (March), rough was not heavy or deep—but the rough did have some bare spots on some holes. The course slop from the whites is 113, so it is not a difficult course. However it was a rather enjoyable round as related to the course. The course is rather busy, mostly from what appears to be local membership. It is an older course, but in really good shape.
I would recommend the course. However, hope you don’t get the rush I got if you have planned and arrived early. If you’re looking for a real challenge then this would not be a course that will provide that challenge.

Room Tip: We like the Casita suites, located south of driving range, between 1st and 18th fairways, best area...
Dear 212Michael,

Thank you so much for sharing your enjoyable visit to our resort! Your feedback is very much appreciated by our team. Best of luck in your game, and we look forward to your return!

Truckee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place is a run down, circa 1950's motel that happens to have a golf course attached to it. The rooms stink like a cheap motel, old worn carpets, and an antique air conditioning unit that was loud and ineffective. The toilet clogged on it's initial use, so I called maintenance. A few minutes later a security guy knocked on my door, handed me a plunger and told me to leave it outside when I was done with it. It was an antique plunger and didn't work. Called maintenance again, they said they would send someone over. Waited a half hour, nobody showed. Called the front desk and one of the front desk guys came to my room with a proper plunger and was able to unclog it. Then I decided I would go for a swim in the "resort" pool. Only one problem, the water was bright green, and the pool was closed because they were treating it with chemicals to try and kill the green stuff. They said it might be useable in a couple of days. The air conditioning unit went on and off and on and off and on and off for around two hours before it reached the set temperature, really loud. Didn't play the course, which seems to be the big draw for this place. If you want to play golf here go for it, but stay someplace else. You'd be better of at any chain motel down the street.

Room Tip: Rooms down the street at any random 2 star motel would be a better choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hi wmays24,

Thank your taking the time to share your experience. We do our utmost to maintain the cleanliness of our hotel, and it is unfortunate that you were unable to enjoy one of our pools while it was being serviced. We hope that your future travels take you back to the Arizona Golf Resort.

Jackson, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

First trip to Arizona for a winter getaway and some baseball. Knew the location was out of the way but we needed a two bedroom place on a golf course so it fit our needs in that respect, but other than that- we were pretty disappointed. The condo / apartment we stayed in was pretty gross. Everything in it was dirty and didn't look like it had any sort of updating since it was built I'm assuming in the 50s or 60s. The pool was pretty awful, vending machines didn't work, hallways had garbage in them, just overall pretty dirty.

Golf course was okay, but it was sopping wet. Our tee time was at 730 am I believe and it was just soaked. Being my first round in Arizona I assume it's normal, but it was just unpleasant. Rental clubs were okay, but cost as much as the golf did. Parking was atrocious. There were about six spots for ten condos so half the time we had to park literally half a mile away near the clubhouse.

The one thing that aggravated me the most- I had a rental car and the battery died on me and you'd think during our week long stay here (which wasn't cheap) the front desk could rustle up a maintenance person with a battery charger or a set of jumper cables- nope. They didn't even offer to call someone for us. Absolute garbage. Caused us to miss half the spring training game we had tickets for, pretty much left a bad taste in our mouth the rest of the trip. If someone spends $1000 (in just lodging- not including golf) at my businsess I'm going to make sure you're taken care of.

Won't be staying here again next time we go to Arizona- no way no how.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Sean,

I sincerely apologize for the less than pleasant experience you had while you were staying at our Resort. When you have a chance, please feel free to reach out to me at mendezk@gfhotels.com as I sincerely like to hear more about your stay and find a way to make it right. I hope you give us a chance and visit us again.

Kate Mendez, Hotel Manager

Been to Arizona Golf Resort? Share your experiences!