“seems to be moving down market” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Regina, Canada
“seems to be moving down market”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We've been using this restaurant now for about five years. It seems to be trying to move down market to follow the economy. The meals are adequate but unremarkable. The sea bass tonight was a little "fishy". The fire roasted vegetable were good. The shrimp were overcooked. The service was classic up-scale chain-restaurant phoney. I don't want to know my server's name. I don't want to know his or her opinion on the brilliance of my order; the phoniness is insulting. The house wine was good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

MESA
“Good Pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had pasta, with no meat. Not always a fan of meat in my pasta, so I can't say much about the meat here. The pasta was really good though. Had to wait about a half-hour for a table because it was a Saturday night, but I will return again.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Tried Macaroni Grill again after I told myself I would never go back as the service is slow and there is nothing special about the food! I quit taking my business team to Macaroni Grill over a year ago (I-17/101 Phoenix location)as food was never served in a timely fashion or everyone at the same time. Thought that it was a problem only at this location. However I was wrong, the same occurred at the US 60/Stapley Mesa location.

Note only 5 to 6 tables were occupied...which speaks volumes about others opinions as well

Done with the overpriced - nothing special about the food experiences.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“MOTHERS DAY BRUNCH”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Service was very slow, understaffed, food came either cold or burnt, we all thought it was bad, party or 15 with 1 girl serving us all, drinks didn't get filled either

Mesa, Arizona, United States
“READ THIS ONE! :D”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl who has been going to Macaroni Grill since I was 5. My family and I have gone there for anniversaries, birthdays, and nice evenings out. I actually have memories there, but they stopped when I was 12. That was last time I went there, beside today's lunch hour. The reason why I stopped going there is personal to me, and I have never fully expressed it. A couple of things I would like to say: 1. I AM FREAKING ITALIAN, and I come from a very old fashion Italian family. 2. If you have a white table cloth, you better be an amazing restaurant. 3. I plan on three 10 star restaurants when I am old, one of them will be 3 stories high in New York (DON'T tell me I can't cause I most certainly can!). So, let's get on with why I didn't go there for a while. I was just with my father, and I decided to order some steak. They brought it, I took a bite, and 5 minutes later, I gave up on chewing. My father and I love steak, we always order it extra rare. At home, my father showed me how you should prepare it, tenderize with a fork for 3 minutes on each side (melts in your mouth dude!). I called the waiter to come and take it away, but instead he brought in the manager, great -_- . The manger spoke to me like I was 5, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I was bewildered, but I didn't get mad (it's pretty hard to get me boiling). I left with no thoughts, besides that fact of never going there again. After that, my friends and family joked about my infamous wrath with steak. From then on, I had steak more often at other restaurants, and sent them back countless times. Now, I find a lot more restaurants have amped up their steaks. I'm very happy with that. But, because it was fathers day, I let my dad choose which restaurant we went to for lunch. My father, sister, and I got out of the car and headed inside Macaroni Grill. Right off the bat, we came to the register, and the hostess took way to long to seat us. Nay, she didn't even seat us, our waitress had to. There was no one in front of us, and no behind us, yet she was running around doing what? Not her job. The place wasn't very busy, there was about 9 groups there, so it was pretty quiet. At the table, my father saw some dirty dishes and told the waitress. She took them, set them on another table, took those plates, and set them on our table. First, above all, there should NOT have been dirty plates on the table. Secondly, don't steal plates from another table! Grab the dirty ones, zoom to the washroom, and retrieve clean ones. Next, we order our drinks, and I am reluctant to find "blood-orange tea". I adore this flavor, and have it all the time at my friend's house (she is a tea fanatic). Once we get our drinks and bread, I notice that we don't have a bread knife. This is something that I just didn't want to think about or care about. I recently ate at Outback Steakhouse, and they serve their bread with a great cutting knife. That's all I have to say about that. The tea I cared about a little bit more, I couldn't taste blood oranges at all. I knew it wasn't just regular tea, but if I didn't know what drink I ordered, I wouldn't be able to guess. The waitress was good, she did a fine job in all, expect with the dishes of course, but the biggest problem I had was with the selection. This problem has become a classic excuse for me never wanting to eat at a restaurant again. Besides the steak thing, I enjoy a powerful Chicken Piccata. Charleston's, Brio's Tuscan Grill, and The Cheesecake Factory are the only restaurants I know who have that on their menu. Carrabba's made it especially for me, which I found perfectly fine (at least they knew what it was). Charleston's had the best in my opinion, and The Cheesecake had the second. Brio's had a very nice one, but it was much to soft for my taste. Back to Macaroni Grill, I was sitting there, blank minded, knowing that I would have to choose something else. I told the waitress my story, and she had no idea what chicken piccata was. I thought that was ok, but I was hoping at least the actually chefs would know. She recommended the diy thing. Eventually, she gave me the menu for it, and I looked over to see if I could create something similar. Well, in all honesty, I am very sad to say I couldn't (the main idea was mushrooms, chicken, lemon butter sauce, lemon slices, and capers). I feel bad for this restaurant, mostly because they used to be my favorite, but now they have just lost their touch. I was getting a tiny bit stressed for when the waitress came, my father automatically said "we are ready". I was busy scanning, and did not hear what my father ordered. Big surprise, when our food came, we had the same thing, Pollo Caprese. When I whispered a complaint to my dad about how I wasn't ready, the waitress was kind enough to ask if I needed more time. I denied, because I just didn't want to waste time, I was hungry for anything. We got our food shortly, which is something that I shake my head to, (this makes me think that the food was pre-prepared). Lot's of times, cheap Italian restaurants will sort of "blanch" the pasta in the morning, and heat it right when ordered. I hope to god that is not what they do, that would just be too low. Once I took a bite of the chicken, the waitress zoomed in to check on us (I appreciated it, but you should normally wait 4-5 minutes, so the customer has a chance to taste everything on the plate). The actually plating was beautiful. The taste of the chicken was very good, yet there is always room for improvement. The texture of the chicken is better at Mcdonalds, just saying. I really don't like grill marks, but I will always be able to stand them. This time, they were beautiful, but the taste really got to me, they tasted almost like dirt. Last, but most certainly not least, the waitress brought us to-go boxes, and I just have to stop right there. What on earth are we paying you for? I don't mind boxing my own food, but seriously? WHITE TABLE CLOTH = BOX MY FOOD... I can't help but laugh at that moment, afterwards she asked if we had room for dessert. We didn't finish our meals, why would we have room for dessert? I wouldn't of minded if she asked "would you like some dessert to go?". But, if she said that I would snap back "Depends.... do we have to box it ourselves?". My father knew I was satisfied, but once we walked out he wasn't thinking about bringing me back there. All's Well That Ends Well. Who cares, right? I mean, I know I sound snotty, but the thing is, I believe it's worth it. In all reality, you are only as good as you are. Whether people care or not, it doesn't matter. I care enough to send this message to their restaurant not because I am rude, and live off of other people's tears, rather because I really do believe they are better than this.

• Visited June 2012