“First Time Visit - Wasn't Too Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Maricopa, Arizona
“First Time Visit - Wasn't Too Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife had done some research on this place and surprised my parents and I by taking us here for dinner. My parents and I are Canadian and loved that fact we saw a place advertising Swedish, Scandanavian, and Canadian Cuisine. Quite surprised how elegant and modern the inside in because the strip mall where this is located is older and somewhat run down, but the inside was quite impressive.

When we entered the restaurant we were greeted by 3 people sitting at the bar with "Do you have a reservation?" May i remind you there were 6 tables currently seated at 6:30pm on a Friday night so the place was by no means busy. A little rough around the edges I might say, but we just responded with "No sorry, we didnt know we needed one." The lady told us its ok, it's European style so sit where ever you would like. We sat in a corner both located closed to the bar as no one was sitting in that area and we had our 3 year old daughter with us so we typically try and respect other peoples time at dinner cause our daughter can be a bit crazy sometimes.

The waitress greeted us fairly fast, introduced herself and took our drink orders. Drinks of tea, soda, and water took a few minutes and she brought them back. She asked if we had any questions on the menu and we ordered a few appitizers; Quebec Potuine all around was ordered. We miss not being able to find this anywhere here where back in Canada we can find this entree in most places quite easily. They came out about 7 minutes or so later and it was fantastic, great flavor in the gravy, cheese curds were small so they melted well, and the fries were fresh and well seasoned.

Entrees were then ordered, both my wife and I ordered the Jager Schnitzel and choice our sides. The entrees took about 25 minutes or so before they came out, a little long I thought because the place wasnt really busy at all but I've heard everything is fresh here so that kind of made up for the time. The entrees were warm, but by no means hot. Lots of dill is used in their salads and sides so if you're not a dill fan I would ask your waitress what sides don't contain much or any dill. The food was ok, the schnitzel was thin, much thinner than I am used to when my wife makes or from other restaurants. My parents had ordered the Polish Sampler Plate with cabbage rolls, pierogies, and polish sausage. They sausage was very dry, and the cabbage rolls were a little bland with not a lot of flavor.

We asked for our checks and that they be split and that was done without any issues. I thought it to be a little rude to have our waitress ask if we needed change for the cash we paid with, I have always just thought that was a little tacky. The part of the evening that really made me upset was waiting for our checks to come back which took forever and having to listen to the owner and another waitress sit at the bar and complain about another customer from earlier in the day or another night and how they were rude and had all of these complicated requests, and how much they hate when people like that come in to eat. The waitress yapping away was the one cashing us out but was not our waitress which is probably why it took us nearly 10 minutes to get our change. I just thought it was very unprofessional and really just made me not want to come back and have to hear that or wonder if they would be talking about me and my family when we left. That was my big issue and because of that, I doubt my family and I will return to this restaurant again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Mesa, Arizona
“AMAZING FOOD!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My friends and I have been going there since day 2 of them opening at their original location and hope to continue to do so for years!!! The owners are nice friendly people that have made us feel like part of the family. They are EXTREAMLY concerned about the quality of their food and use the freshest and best ingredients they can get for all their homemade dishes. No 99 cent hamburgers here but their goal is not to feed their customers cheap food..... but GOOD food...and boy do they deliver! We have tried everything on their menu and have not been disappointed once. And with their new place they now have an amazing beer list with some really yummy wines! Their menu is a combination of Norweigen with a bit of Canada thrown in there which reflects where they've come from and traveled. Definately a unique restaurant and worth the stop!

Visited February 2014
Hereford, United Kingdom
“And now for something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

It is unusual to find Eastern European ethnic cooking in Arizona. There are more pseudo Italian restaurants and pizza parlours than probably even in Italy and the good ones can be counted on one hand. So it is refreshing to find a restaurant that endeavours to keep to the "old" country cooking. Bearing in mind that it is not easy to obtain the essential raw products for much of the ethnic cuisine, this restaurant does a remarkably good attempt. The food is all freshly prepared in one of the most hygienic commercial kitchens you will be invited to visit. Much of this is due to Hanna, the all caring proprietor who trained as a chef in Sweden, a country noted for its seafood. But fresh seafood is difficult to find, so as a starter they serve Gravadlax (marinated salmon) an authentic dish with all the correct balance between salt and sugar. It can also be served as a main dish slightly seared served with boiled potatoes flavoured with dill or rosti cooked in the true traditional manner.

The menu is large and varied and there is enough choice for all tastes. We enjoyed our dinner and will certainly return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Bring all your friends and your family….”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Looking for something different? Need a Euro-fix of good homemade authentic German or Swedish food? This is a gem - yes it's tucked into a strip mall, yes it's a little bright and yes the servers aren't completely world-class….but the food and drink is too good not to come back. I brought my parents (total food snobs), my husband (off-the-boat German who dines all over the world) and we all agreed - a superb Saturday night dinner outing. We'll be back! And we're bringing friends…..

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Happy to Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was very happy to return again to this great restaurant. It was an outstanding evening with friends. The meal was out of this world for all of us. We all tried something we really wanted and none of us were disappointed. The service was great. They treated us like we really meant something to them. We finished the meal with a wonderful dessert which was recommended by our server. The crepes were awesome. Can't wait to return again. I hope they will have the great live music again.

• Visited January 2014