“Third visit” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Angus Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 790 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Power Rd and Hampton Ave
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Third visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My fiancée and I have visited this same branch twice before our most recent visit, which got off to a rocky start despite the two faultless nights we had here before.

We only had to wait in the waiting area about 10-15 minutes I think, a bit long for a Tuesday night but nothing totally unreasonable.

When we were seated we were placed in a booth (which my girlfriend may or may not have asked for upfront, I don't recall) and as soon as the pleasant hostess left our table things went sour from there - the Denny's-style waitress banged two water glasses on the table with an attitude, and I wonder if it's the same waitress whom the other reviews have mentioned. On top of that, we noticed we had dirty cutlery in a dirty cloth napkin, and complained to the floor manager (whose name I really can't recall, but was a genial, polite Latino gentleman in his mid-twenties to early-thirties with dark hair, and he may have worn a goatee beard).

Once we were re-seated at our new table, with fresh salads replaced, and introduced to our new server Jeremy, in the opposite side of the restaurant things went 100% perfect. My fiancée had mentioned it was my birthday, and for this we got a free 'scookie'. :)

Jeremy was as attentive as you'd expect for a re-seat - not too pushy, just concerned we were having a good time. I have to say from this point on in our night the service was faultless. Props to Jeremy and the management. :)

The manager also took an entire 50% off the bill which was a tremendous act and totally unexpected or even requested! Thank you so much to all of the (rest of the) team who worked that night, really made it memorable for the *right* reasons.

We'll be back again as soon as I'm back in the US!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Apache Junction, Arizona
“NICE PLACE TO GO FOR STEAKS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is the place that we go to when we want a steak dinner. The place has a nice atmosphere, good wait staff but a little bit pricey. The food is always good.

Visited May 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have to say this was one of the best visits to Black Angus when it came to the food. My steak was perfectly cooked and seasoned. However, the service was the worst we have experienced. I think our waitress was ready to go home.

Visited May 2014
Mesa, AZ
“Very good food, but even better service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Yes, the prices are a little high for a chain restuarant, but for a busy Friday night, the service was excellant. It was almost like they weren't busy. I am sure this comes from management, since not all restaurants are like this. From the hosts to the servers, they all had a "how can I help" attitude. We have a picky group, yet all orders were as requested. A number of them also ask for the server's opinions on everything, and our server was well versed on the various options. Everyone liked what they ordered. I also appreciated the fact that they take reservations and are ready when you arrive, even if you arrive a little early.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Too expensive for the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

You know, the food isn't bad at all, it's quite tasty but I still can't believe the check when it arrives. We always imagine perhaps they've mixed us up with the other table of four, who had lobster and two bottles of wine. Definitely over priced for what you get, even if you skip the appetizers to save a few $$$. It's better if you happen to have a coupon with you (the campfire feast for two isn't a bad deal when it's on special) but we stopped coming here after it didn't seem worth it any more.

Can't complain about the waitstaff at all, they're always attentive and pleasant, the food arrives in good time. I think if there are four of you, and the company is fun and the wine is flowing it can be a great place to eat and bond with family. Assuming Dad or kindly Uncle Fred picks up the check. But for just the two of us, it always seem like we paid way too much.

• Visited April 2014