“Needs Help” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 W. Isabella, Mesa, AZ 85202 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Phoenix - Mesa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Surprise, Arizona
“Needs Help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There were two couples who stayed there. BOTH of us had issues with facility. Our sliding door -didn't slide. The toilet seat was atrocious--it needed to be replaced, and you see it as soon as you walk in. The beds were not that comfortable. The hotel states "studio suite". Should be "compact room" instead. The carpets really need to be replaced. The continental breakfast was a joke. There was an announcment when we checked in stating that "coming in January--continental breakfast". Really? You better eat before you go to "breakfast" We have seen some "abbreviated" breakfasts---but---. The young staff were very friendly and helpful. I did send a note to the manager, and she was responsive to my remarks and those of our companions in the other room. She pledged to improve the situation You might want to wait a month or so.

Room Tip: You might want to look at the sister hotel---Extended Stay America also located in Mesa. If you stay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than excellent. I apologize that there issues in each of your rooms. I have been working with the team on communicating maintenance and housekeeping issues immediately so the proper repairs can be made. As i mentioned to you before, I realize there are opportunities for improvement at this particular property and we are working hard to improve. I appreciate your feedback so that I can work on all areas of concern and train our staff to do a better job in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again and give us an opportunity to show you that improvements have been made. Thank again for your review.
We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your honest feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at oal@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I just wanted to write this to say that I'm extremely satisfied with my stay at Homestead. First off, the woman at the front desk, her name is Angel, and she was amazingly polite and made sure everything was in order for me and made the checking in and out process fast and smooth, and because of her, I would definitely return.

As far as the room goes, it was very clean, the king bed was very comfortable and cozy, and it was very quiet. For the price, it was very well worth it. Thank you guys very much.

Room Tip: if you're staying by yourself or with your significant other, then the king bed is definitely wo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you so much for the positive feedback in your post to Trip Advisor. It means so much to us as a company and so much to the staff member you recognized in you response. It really makes everyone here at Homestead Mesa feel all our efforts to make us a home away from home are hitting the mark. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you again.
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

At first glance, we looked around and said, "Oh it's not too bad." Then you entered the room where there is a pungent smell of urine and cigarette smoke in a non-smoking room. Ew. Oh well, with a little Glade Plug-Ins it wasn't too bad. Our first night here was pretty chilly, so we tried to turn on the heat. It smelled like something was burning, so we turned it off and sucked it up. The pans stick, literally you can't even fry an egg in their "skillet." Felt like you couldn't walk around on the carpet because they were just so filthy. You could probably sleep on the streets of New York more comfortably than you could sleep on their mattresses. The parking lot is full of sketchy individuals at night. The maid service is terribly lacking. If you're in your room, all they do is give you clean sheets and towels, we didn't even get that lucky our second week.
But on the bright side... we only killed one cockroach (Note the sarcasm. Where there's one, there are a thousand more hiding out of sight.) and you'll never have to worry about your safety because the police are ALWAYS here. (six times in two weeks- one time being about 10 squad cars, three undercover SUVs for literally over eight hours- is just too many even for a prostitute ridden scum hole like this!) I suppose the only good things are that it's right next to a highway (to aid in your escape) and they have a flat screen.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We appreciate you providing feedback about your stay at our hotel. It is with sincere sadness that we read your review. The issues you outlined are not how we would like your experience to be remembered, and for that, I am truly sorry.

Please know that I have brought each of your concerns to our Upper Management team and addressed each individually with them. We are working to improve our property as well our systems to ensure that experiences like yours do not happen to others. As well, I am working with the staff closely to review our cleaning standards as well as ensure that all of our rooms are stocked with good, working equipment.

It would be our pleasure to show you our redoubled efforts. Should you be back in the area, please contact us directly and we will be happy to assist you with future reservations.
Show Low, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

1-Staff was friendly, kind and accomodating...considering what they have to work with.
2-We stayed on 11/22 & 11/23. Upon check-in, there was a small fire in a room near the room we were going to be assigned to. (We requested double beds--grandson was with us.) The front desk gal apologized but only had one room left and it had a king bed. We cheerfully accepted, no huge deal.
3-The room left a ton to be desired. The room had a pungent odor of smelly underarms. How crazy, the phone cord attached to the wall was missing! I had to call the front desk with my cell phone. The tub faucet was literally leaking water by the buckets and it looked like it had been doing that for quite sometime, because there was a very rough calcium buildup on the bottom of the tub. The tub tiles were growing a good amount of mold, enough to make penicillin. The carpet needed a huge vacuuming and shampooing. The closet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. The rack in the closet had previously been pulled out of the wall and was never repaired. Then, once the closet door was opened, there was noooo closing it! Our feet stuck to the tile floor.
4-The bed was fabulous and comfy. It was as though the only thing going for the whole place was the nice bed and linens. Either the place had been remodeled (very doubtful) or someone really trashed it.
5-I gave the baby a bath (had to put the plastic floor mat on the bottom of the tub because it was so rough). The tub faucet refused to stop leaking and was noisy. There was no way we could stay in that room all night.
6-I called the front office with my cell phone (phone cord missing). They offered us the room next to that one, but it only had a queen bed. My thought was, if it's cleaner and isn't leaking... we'll take it. The front office was very nice. The queen room looked cleaner (at night) than the first room.
7- It was late and we were tired. We moved to the queen room and lo and behold...the tub only works on the shower mode (the shower pull is stuck in the shower position) lol. Furthermore, once you turn on the tub faucet or the sink faucet, again, the water leaks out in buckets. We're too tired to beg for another room. So me, the hubby and the grandbaby sleep in the queen bed. The bed was great (like the first room), but quite cramped with three of us in it.
8-We shut the bathroom door so we could drown out some of the leaking sound. There was a little less penicillin growing than in the first room. Oh, and we were able to continue to use the first hotel room to bathe the baby in and the second hotel room to shower (only) in.
9-I would hate to be paying the water bill in that place.
10-I called the front desk again (this room had a phone cord), about these issues...they said they could put us in another room the next day. By the next day we decided we were too exhausted from lugging our stuff up to the second floor and then moving it from one room to another...so we opted to just stay where we were. Our thought pattern was...we couldn't imagine that the third room could be much better.
11-We brought food and cooked (kitchenette) and that part was nice. Yes, it needed updating, but it at least served the purpose. Although there were dishes, silverware, pots, etc...there was nothing to wash them with. The front desk said they would give me a little soap, but we just went to the store and bought dish detergent.
12-The air conditioner worked well. We did sleep well because our little corner was quiet. The place is located in a decent area of town, too.
13-Through all of this, it was like a clown circus...lol...the staff was very patient and kind. I don't assume this is the first time they've had people bring up the issues of ill repair. The place is seriously in need of a maintenance man. I did see a cleaning lady and she was very pleasant. Maybe she wasn't given all the needed cleaning supplies. It was obvious that she was trying hard under the circumstances, also.
14-We've stayed at Homestead in the past, and none have been in such ill repair as this one. It was quite sad and disappointing. I sure hope that the rest of the rooms aren't a representation of the ones we stayed in. This could be a very nice place with some much needed repairs and attention to cleanliness details. To the staff, we thank you for trying. To the owner/manager, shame on you.

Room Tip: Until they step it up a notch, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that you encountered multiple issues during your stay. In response to your feedback, I am reviewing your review with the housekeeping and maintenance team. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at mes@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Like most people who stay at Homestead Studio Suites, we know it's not going to be a Ritz. Rather, we're looking for an economical roof, bed and shower - and this fits the bill.

I stayed two nights while taking classes in the neighborhood. The facility was packed - which says something in itself.

I was given a smoking room - which I did not request nor prefer and was re-roomed with a simple request for a non-smoking room.

My room, though modest, was clean and neat. Plenty of hot water. Clean sheets. Great pillows. Plenty of closet space. Well stocked (utensils, plates, etc.) kitchenette. No frills - so no shampoo or hair dryer. Large, flat screen TV with plenty of channels. I also appreciated the more-than-usual number of electrical outlets in the room for charging my various gadgets.

My only "cringy" moment was on day 2 when my room key ceased working. I went to the office with photo ID in hand for a replacement. I told the clerk my room number and she simply produced a replacement key without cross-checking my ID to my face or the guest register.

Otherwise, I was very pleased with my stay, the price,location and value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation with the key security you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am addressing this situation with the front desk staff to ensure that a situation of this nature does not happen again in the future. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mes@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There seemed to be only one person on staff at a time and s/he was responsible for everything: checkin, cleaning, complaints, etc. Since we had no complaints, we barely noticed -- just had to wait 5 mintes for them to come to the office to check us in.

That said, the room was clean with a full complement of clean towels. The room has a full kitchen with an oven and stove, microwave and refrigerator (not the tiny barely-fits-the-doggie-bag size, but a real fridge with separate freezer!).

The bed was comfortable, pillows plentiful and firm and the linens were clean and crisp.

The hotel is located very near shopping and restaurants with many, many choices within a one mile radius. We took a walk along the "river" at Dobson Ranch (right across the street) and had a good morning of it.

We've been staying in 1-star hotels in the Phoenix/Mesa area and this was definitely a step UP (advertised as a 2-star hotel).

They've recently instituted a $75 deposit for "damage or cleaning" of the room. I wasn't charged the deposit (I think I made my reservation before they instituted it) -- just so you know before you get there.

Overall it was a better experience than the 1-star hotels we've been used to for not much more money (not even 10% more)...

Make sure not to park in the apartment complex or business parking that adjoins the hotel parking lot.

Room Tip: Our room faced a very busy road and we heard NO Traffic noise -- Even overslept a bit in the morning...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. It is unfortunate that you had to wait for the guest service representative to arrive at the front desk, but I am glad it was only briefly. This certainly will be addressed with staff so we can avoid this inconvenience in the future. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. For the most part, It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Understaffed, underequipped

This hotel has serious management problems. Apparently there is only one employee on duty at any time. I arrived at about 4:00 PM and the front office was locked. There is a sign on the window that the office is temporarily closed and the staff will return shortly. 30 minutes later, no one had showed up, so I left and ran some errands.

When I returned at about 5:30, the clerk was there. I requested a ground floor room. She said none were a available. OK, fine. She assigned me to a 2nd floor room. However, when I got to the room, the electronic key card did not work. So I returned to the office, and again, the office was locked. I waited almost an hour before she returned again.

She assigned me to a different room, and when I got there, the wi-fi was basically non-operational. Only 1 bar of signal strength, and it took 5 minutes to connect to any web site. I returned to the front office and complained, and requested another room closer to the wi-fi access point. She reassigned me to another room,, a first floor room, which she previously said was unavailable This room had the wi-fi router right there in the room, but still, only 1 bar of signal. I was ready to leave and go to another hotel but by then it was getting late so I stayed.

The next morning, at 5:30 AM, somebody fixed something. The wi fi came back up and I was finally able to get some work done over the internet.

The front desk clerk tried very hard to please me, I don't fault her, it's an ownership/management problem.

The grounds of the hotel were a mess. There was trash everywhere. All of the trash cans around the hotel were overflowing. A little picnic area was also a mess.

Get your act together!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. We will check with our Wireles Internet service provider regarding the signal strgenth of the WiFi access. While staff does have to leave the office at times, it certainly seems like you had to wait an excessive amount of time, which is unnaceptable. Staff should only be away from the desk for brief periods of time when necesary. Lastly, our goal is to ensure our property has a fresh and clean appearance at all times, which clearly it appears it didn't during your stay. That will be addressed and corrected quickly.

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West? Share your experiences!