“Classic Homestead - no more, no less” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 W. Isabella, Mesa, AZ 85202 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Phoenix - Mesa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #29 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
El Paso, Texas
“Classic Homestead - no more, no less”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Like most people who stay at Homestead Studio Suites, we know it's not going to be a Ritz. Rather, we're looking for an economical roof, bed and shower - and this fits the bill.

I stayed two nights while taking classes in the neighborhood. The facility was packed - which says something in itself.

I was given a smoking room - which I did not request nor prefer and was re-roomed with a simple request for a non-smoking room.

My room, though modest, was clean and neat. Plenty of hot water. Clean sheets. Great pillows. Plenty of closet space. Well stocked (utensils, plates, etc.) kitchenette. No frills - so no shampoo or hair dryer. Large, flat screen TV with plenty of channels. I also appreciated the more-than-usual number of electrical outlets in the room for charging my various gadgets.

My only "cringy" moment was on day 2 when my room key ceased working. I went to the office with photo ID in hand for a replacement. I told the clerk my room number and she simply produced a replacement key without cross-checking my ID to my face or the guest register.

Otherwise, I was very pleased with my stay, the price,location and value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation with the key security you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am addressing this situation with the front desk staff to ensure that a situation of this nature does not happen again in the future. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mes@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There seemed to be only one person on staff at a time and s/he was responsible for everything: checkin, cleaning, complaints, etc. Since we had no complaints, we barely noticed -- just had to wait 5 mintes for them to come to the office to check us in.

That said, the room was clean with a full complement of clean towels. The room has a full kitchen with an oven and stove, microwave and refrigerator (not the tiny barely-fits-the-doggie-bag size, but a real fridge with separate freezer!).

The bed was comfortable, pillows plentiful and firm and the linens were clean and crisp.

The hotel is located very near shopping and restaurants with many, many choices within a one mile radius. We took a walk along the "river" at Dobson Ranch (right across the street) and had a good morning of it.

We've been staying in 1-star hotels in the Phoenix/Mesa area and this was definitely a step UP (advertised as a 2-star hotel).

They've recently instituted a $75 deposit for "damage or cleaning" of the room. I wasn't charged the deposit (I think I made my reservation before they instituted it) -- just so you know before you get there.

Overall it was a better experience than the 1-star hotels we've been used to for not much more money (not even 10% more)...

Make sure not to park in the apartment complex or business parking that adjoins the hotel parking lot.

Room Tip: Our room faced a very busy road and we heard NO Traffic noise -- Even overslept a bit in the morning...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. It is unfortunate that you had to wait for the guest service representative to arrive at the front desk, but I am glad it was only briefly. This certainly will be addressed with staff so we can avoid this inconvenience in the future. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. For the most part, It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Understaffed, underequipped

This hotel has serious management problems. Apparently there is only one employee on duty at any time. I arrived at about 4:00 PM and the front office was locked. There is a sign on the window that the office is temporarily closed and the staff will return shortly. 30 minutes later, no one had showed up, so I left and ran some errands.

When I returned at about 5:30, the clerk was there. I requested a ground floor room. She said none were a available. OK, fine. She assigned me to a 2nd floor room. However, when I got to the room, the electronic key card did not work. So I returned to the office, and again, the office was locked. I waited almost an hour before she returned again.

She assigned me to a different room, and when I got there, the wi-fi was basically non-operational. Only 1 bar of signal strength, and it took 5 minutes to connect to any web site. I returned to the front office and complained, and requested another room closer to the wi-fi access point. She reassigned me to another room,, a first floor room, which she previously said was unavailable This room had the wi-fi router right there in the room, but still, only 1 bar of signal. I was ready to leave and go to another hotel but by then it was getting late so I stayed.

The next morning, at 5:30 AM, somebody fixed something. The wi fi came back up and I was finally able to get some work done over the internet.

The front desk clerk tried very hard to please me, I don't fault her, it's an ownership/management problem.

The grounds of the hotel were a mess. There was trash everywhere. All of the trash cans around the hotel were overflowing. A little picnic area was also a mess.

Get your act together!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. We will check with our Wireles Internet service provider regarding the signal strgenth of the WiFi access. While staff does have to leave the office at times, it certainly seems like you had to wait an excessive amount of time, which is unnaceptable. Staff should only be away from the desk for brief periods of time when necesary. Lastly, our goal is to ensure our property has a fresh and clean appearance at all times, which clearly it appears it didn't during your stay. That will be addressed and corrected quickly.

Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel is located near shopping and main roads, the front desk clerks are very well trained and polite (if somewhat overworked). They swapped out the mattress when I requested it the next day, maintenance was efficient after I agreed to a "small" repair which wasn't so small, they replaced the entire tile floor in kitchen and bath. That was inconvenient. I ran into a problem when I asked the $50 coupon, sent to me by email when I made the reservation be credited to my account, which they did, but it was then charged again, and when I brought bank statements, after 3 phone calls telling them they had charged my account, not credited it, the manager did not have time to speak to me. Head office did reply to my complaint promptly. It was way more trouble than it was worth.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies. The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Fallon NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The first room we checked into had an unmade bed and a heavy presense of cigarette smoke. We were moved to a different room which had a mildewed shower with dirty footprints on the bath mat. The bathtub faucet could not be completely shut off and water ran constantly. The stopper in the sink was broken, as was one of the closet sliding doors. At the edge of the kitchenette the carpet was stained and sticky. We moved to a third room where the refrigerator was nonfunctional, the sink stopped up and the toilet overflowed. Again, the tub faucet ran constantly. Outside in the stairwells there were cigarette butts and trash that stayed untouched all of the four days we endured there. The staff made an effort to deal with the insufficiencies, but they seemed demoralized and lacking in resources to keep up. Both the staff and corporate headquarters have offered us a free night at one of their hotels, but we won't be using it. This is a very sketchy place!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

It pleases me to hear that my staff was able to move your room as needed, and a "Free Night" voucher for our hotels was offered to you by both the property and corporate office. I am sorry that it came to this, still.

Please understand that maintaining strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve. Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

Out here for work. Rooms perfect size full fridge, stove, storage. $250 a week
Friendly staff room clean. No complaints

• Stayed May 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Phoenix - Mesa . Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Our recent stay was comfortable. I am not sure if I just missed it on the site I booked through or perhaps it wasn't mentioned, but we did not know there was no maid service on a a daily basis. After a tiring day out, we returned to find our room as we left it. It was only when I went down to the front desk to get coffee/creamer etc. for the morning that I found out! Other words though, our room was a good size; liked having a small kitchen area although we did not have time to use it in its entirety. It is reasonably priced in comparison to some of the other hotels I researched on the net!! We only needed a place to sleep basically, and this worked out fine. One thing I will mention - the restaurant next door - The Good Egg - we ate there the first morning; enjoyed the food and service so much, we made a point of going back the next morning. There was a small wait but you can sit outside on the benches and enjoy a coffee or two while doing so. They actually put a table outside with a huge coffee urn, cups, sugar et all! Nice touch!

Room Tip: The hotel is a two level hotel with no elevator so if you have a problem handling stairs, request a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Phoenix - Mesa. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

I do regret that our housekeeping schedule was not made clearer to you when you made your reservation, since that might have prevented your being inconvenienced. As is true with all Extended Stay Hotels(sm), our hotel provides one full housekeeping service after every seven days stayed. In addition, for guests who require more than our standard service, we offer extra daily services for an additional nominal fee. Operating this way allows us to continue offering our suites at outstanding rates, and still provide our guests with the exact number of housekeeping services they prefer.

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Mesa - West? Share your experiences!