“Sometimes you get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Studio 6 - Mesa

Save Saved
You added Studio 6 - Mesa to your Saves list
Studio 6 - Mesa
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   560 South Country Club Drive, Mesa, AZ 85210 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in Mesa
Sacramento, CA
“Sometimes you get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I find it hard to understand some of the overly positive reviews. Basic things that we expect in any motel, which the room we stayed in did not have:
1. Luggage rack.
2. Closet or rack to hang clothing items.
3. Facial tissue (e.g., Kleenex) – they do not provide any.
4. Towel rack (there are TWO sinks, but no nearby towel racks). The only towel rack is in the shower/toilet room, which might seem ok until you want to dry your hands and someone is in that room with the door shut.

On the plus side, the room was large, with a spacious kitchen area including a counter, one of the aforementioned sinks, and a mini-fridge and microwave. There’s a desk with two chairs and a reading lamp, as well as available wall plugs nearby (why don’t all motels have that?). We had requested (months in advance) an upper floor room, but were told it’s not a guarantee and none were available. But we were given a lower floor room where the one above was “out of order”, which satisfied our purposes. The room was non-smoking (the entire motel seems to be), however the room still had a faint trace of smoke – not too bothersome, though. The toilet tissue is the cheap, paper thin stuff; I recommend bringing or buying your own if you’re staying more than a single night. There’s no ventilation fan in the shower/toilet room, but there is a very small window that can be opened for ventilation – if it isn’t Phoenix Hot out, and you step into the tub to do it. The combo tub/shower is very nice, with separate controls for temperature and water flow.

The bed was acceptable; a queen mattress with a bit better than the cheapest, flat pillows I’ve experienced elsewhere. The room was quiet, being about 2/3 down from the street. Street noise was minimal, and completely covered up by the noise of the refrigerator when it cycled on (which itself is fairly quiet for a mini-fridge). But after sunrise there is a lot of light in the room, partly from the front window, but mostly from the kitchen window which had only a thin, see-through drape.

Encrypted wifi is pretty standard these days, but unfortunately not here. Wifi is unsecured and slow, usually at only 1-2 Mbps from our room. Sometimes it was unbearably slow. But it’s better than nothing. The TV -- an old non-HD tube type (that could use a cleaning) -- had a few dozen local and basic cable channels (but the channel names that appear don’t match the actual channel, so ignore those). Don’t expect to find “premium” cable channels like HGTV or Food Network here. And oddly two of the channels didn’t have audio. Hot water took a long time to reach the room, but once here it worked fine.

The initial front desk clerk who checked us in was not particularly friendly, but other staff we interacted with were better.

It wasn't horrible, to be sure, but it was below the average we've come to expect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Southern Cali
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for one night. We needed a place to stay on our way to Tucson. We arrived late and had to be checked in through the teller window outside the reception office which didnt' speak to the security of the area. We didn't feel in danger, but it wasn't overwhelmingly safe feeling either. On the way to the room there was a large group of guys hanging out at one room and chilling around a car. It seemed like a party, but thankfully they weren't loud. I'm not sure what kind of activity was going on but it was suspicious. Our room was a good six or more doors down. My first impression of the room was that it was simple but functional and clean. We only were there for a crash pad and the shower so we didn't expect much. Little kitchen area was cute and spacious for what it was. Others have noted hairs in the bathroom, I found some as well but frankly nothing too disgusting. I was most grossed out by the bedding. While it looked fine all made up, it was conveniently folded to hide the large hand sized hole in the bedding. I pulled the comforter back to reveal various stains, I didn't want to guess what they were, one was blood. At that point my fiance told me to stop looking because then I wouldn't sleep. I ended up sleeping on top of the bed in a sweatshirt. The shower worked well but the towels were dingy and again, stained and kind of gross looking. While the service wasn't bad at the front desk, it wasn't super friendly. All in all, I was really disappointed with the cleanliness of the bed and the towels, but everything else was ok. For the price, they could invest in new bedding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanover, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very clean large rooms. Everything worked. Not hard to find. Lady at front desk very friendly. Couldn't figure out why there were so few people staying at such a large place. Great place and price. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Check it out if you want comfortable room at reasonable rates
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I'd be happy to stay there again. Friendly lady in reception, (I'd booked on line, site unseen)
The room was clean, everything worked. Wifi was fine.
No room tips ,all are ground floor. Perfect for the budjet traveller after 14 hours on Qantas then
6 hours on the road.
No wonder I was shattered!

Room Tip: Away from the road, but I was so shattered that I would have slept though a train crash.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is perfect! It seems like the rooms used to be part of an apartment/studio complex that they converted into a motel. The room was very clean and spacious, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My husband and I felt safe and right at home. The location was perfect for the event we attended and should we go back to Mesa, we will definitely stay at this hotel again. Thank you!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I travel constantly and stay in a different motel or hotel nearly every day of the week. This was my first time staying at an Americas Best, and if they are all like this one, it won't be the last. From check-in to check-out, everything was excellent. The room itself was large and VERY clean. I loved the kitchen and table/work area set off by the arched ceiling. Bathroom was quite roomy (which seems to be a rarity in most modern lodging establishments). Electrical outlets were also available in plentitude! Another guest stayed in the room right next door but I never heard a single noise and didn't even realize anyone was there til check out. I like the location and the arrangement of the property, and being able to park right outside your door. Restaurants, shopping, and fuel are just up the street. For the rate you pay, this value motel is definitely worth it. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Come to mesa for eye surgery/checkup every two weeks. I call ahead of time and they keep the room cooled for me. Helps me and my eyes rest easier. Hotel is newly opened and renovated so rooms were fine.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Studio 6 - Mesa? Share your experiences!