I find it hard to understand some of the overly positive reviews. Basic things that we expect in any motel, which the room we stayed in did not have:
1. Luggage rack.
2. Closet or rack to hang clothing items.
3. Facial tissue (e.g., Kleenex) – they do not provide any.
4. Towel rack (there are TWO sinks, but no nearby towel racks). The only towel rack is in the shower/toilet room, which might seem ok until you want to dry your hands and someone is in that room with the door shut.
On the plus side, the room was large, with a spacious kitchen area including a counter, one of the aforementioned sinks, and a mini-fridge and microwave. There’s a desk with two chairs and a reading lamp, as well as available wall plugs nearby (why don’t all motels have that?). We had requested (months in advance) an upper floor room, but were told it’s not a guarantee and none were available. But we were given a lower floor room where the one above was “out of order”, which satisfied our purposes. The room was non-smoking (the entire motel seems to be), however the room still had a faint trace of smoke – not too bothersome, though. The toilet tissue is the cheap, paper thin stuff; I recommend bringing or buying your own if you’re staying more than a single night. There’s no ventilation fan in the shower/toilet room, but there is a very small window that can be opened for ventilation – if it isn’t Phoenix Hot out, and you step into the tub to do it. The combo tub/shower is very nice, with separate controls for temperature and water flow.
The bed was acceptable; a queen mattress with a bit better than the cheapest, flat pillows I’ve experienced elsewhere. The room was quiet, being about 2/3 down from the street. Street noise was minimal, and completely covered up by the noise of the refrigerator when it cycled on (which itself is fairly quiet for a mini-fridge). But after sunrise there is a lot of light in the room, partly from the front window, but mostly from the kitchen window which had only a thin, see-through drape.
Encrypted wifi is pretty standard these days, but unfortunately not here. Wifi is unsecured and slow, usually at only 1-2 Mbps from our room. Sometimes it was unbearably slow. But it’s better than nothing. The TV -- an old non-HD tube type (that could use a cleaning) -- had a few dozen local and basic cable channels (but the channel names that appear don’t match the actual channel, so ignore those). Don’t expect to find “premium” cable channels like HGTV or Food Network here. And oddly two of the channels didn’t have audio. Hot water took a long time to reach the room, but once here it worked fine.
The initial front desk clerk who checked us in was not particularly friendly, but other staff we interacted with were better.
It wasn't horrible, to be sure, but it was below the average we've come to expect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Mesa/Phoenix. Discover this great Mesa, AZ hotel that offers 100 percent non-smoking rooms. We are close to Downtown Mesa, Mesa Arts Center, Mesa Riverview Center, Mesa Convention Center, Arizona State University, and Sun Devil Stadium.Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Mesa/Phoenix, a pet friendly hotel in the Mesa area, is committed to providing guests with great customer service and accommodations at an affordable rate. This ideal downtown Mesa location places guests close to Arizona State University, Casino Arizona, Mesa Riverview Center, Old Scottsdale, and the Phoenix Zoo. Hotel guests will find other popular attractions nearby including Chase Field, US Airways Center, Hohokam Stadium (spring training grounds to the Chicago Cubs), and Sun Splash Water Park. This Mesa, Arizona hotel offers well-appointed guest rooms, each complete with a microwave, refrigerator, free wireless high-speed Internet access, and cable TV. For a relaxing visit and convenient location in downtown Mesa, Arizona, make a reservation at Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Mesa/Phoenix. At Americas Best Value Inn and Suites Mesa/Phoenix, We've Got You Covered from the time you hit the road until your head hits the pillow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Vantage Hospitality and Otel so you can book your Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Mesa / Phoenix / Chandler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.