“Saturday Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Gilbert, Arizona
“Saturday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

A nice place to fill up on good food and tasty beers. Plenty of choices and they have a Vegetarian/Vegan menu. I liked the selection of draught beers and the music that filled the air. Free Wi-Fi was nice. No TV's so sports watching is replaced with conversation. Friendly staff and fair prices. As Arnold once said "I'll be baaaack".

• Visited December 2012

Calgary, Canada
“Lots of veggie options with vegan choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great stuffed pastries with various themed fillings. There is an entire page of veggie options including a vegan choice. Always good quality and reasonable prices. Inquired about gluten free, but there is no gluten free crust option available. You can get some salads, soups, and other gluten free items though.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chandler
“Always a winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Cornish Pasty is one of my go to places when I have guests. With choices ranging from Indian and Mexican to Italian and good old meat and potatoes, everyone can always find something to suit their mood. My personal favorites are the Reuben, Shepherd's Pie, or Lamb Vindaloo. They also serve a great selection of craft beer.

The restaurant's atmosphere plays homage to the mining orgins of the pasty with candles acting as the primary source of light. I love the use of pews and doors for furniture.

A visit to Cornish Pasty is sure to please the crowd.

• Visited October 2012
Mesa, Arizona
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The dripping candles as decor, big pew-style seating, and low-lighting is a perfect ambience for this restaurant. Wide selection of beer and wine and the pastys are to die for. Everytime i go, i plan on trying something different, but i always order the Mexican. I can never get enough of it.

Visited August 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Delicious Field Trip to the UK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

In the mood for something different than Mexican & sushi. Saw an overall 4.5 review on a local food review, not a fan of anything British as a general rule, but what the heck, all the locals can't be wrong, & they served food until MIDNIGHT! Frankly, I expected it to be "good, but not my style," as I prefer lighter, healthier food for the most part, NOT a "meat & potatoes person."

Went there alone since my family wasn't with me. I was a very "un-hipster" 40-ish yr old female alone. As I walked up I noted the loud patio, people having fun/drinking, hmm. Inside: dark but not in a seedy way, real wax dripped down the wine bottles holding the candles. Church pew seating as mentioned. Pretty cool, but the tables looked huge & daunting for this SWF diner. The outside looked too "party".

No one really approached me right away, a few people said hi, but they all looked so casual sans uniform, I couldn't quite tell if they worked there or just walking by? Didn't know if I should wait to be seated, but there was really no obvious place to wait for such guidance, as the front door leads right into the dining room. After a few awkward seconds I identified that guy as definitely an employee & threw myself at his mercy, "Hi. I'm new. How does this work?" He was great, sit anywhere. Grabbed a seat at the end of the raised bar. As someone else said, a good place to bolt from if things didn't go well. Also had a good view of the dining room, the kitchen prep area & the servers work area.

Friendly Serena stopped by, I warned her too that I was new. She was great! Since they clearly have a great, well-chosen list of ales & beers & that seems an obvious British accompaniment to pastys, I told her some of the beers I normally liked, such as IPAs, Kiltlifter, Dogfish Head 60 & 90. She lit up & said she's bring a sample of one she thinks I'd like. Love the service already!! I love love love when they bring samples of something so you can truly decide before committing. She NAILED IT - On-tap Green Flash Hop Head Red. Never heard of it, LOVE IT.

Ordered the Chicken Tika Masala pasty since I was in the international mood & Yelpers said it was good. Waited the 15 mins or so. Noticed that the servers have fun, the kitchen is friendly like everyone says, the crowd is diverse. The music is great, stuff I like, upbeat, some good swing-dancing music, Stray Cats, etc. Only thru Yelp reviews did I learn it's now "hipster" music, ha ha. Then arrived the pasty...

SOOOO much better than a typical calzone crust! I love how thin but sort of crisp the crust is! Nothing even close to doughy, it's lightly holding the divine insides. The Chicken was moist and chunky, the tikka masala sauce was spiced but not "hot," really savory flavor. The side sauce was perfect with it, nice touch that they all have various perfect accompaniment sauces! I asked Serena for a box right away to take the other half home to family. Good thing I did, or I would have stuffed myself with it because it was sooo tasty & been in pain later.

I'm also not really much of a dinner-out dessert person, as they are usually too over the top gooey sweet for me. But the Banoffee Pie with bananas caught my eye. Home-made caramel? In home-made graham crust? What?? Argh, okay.... I can have a few bites & take the rest home.

Serena was again brilliant, telling the kitchen to "build it" in the to-go container. Once it arrived, I could see why, truly awesome suggestion, as moving it would have messed it all up. The guy behind the counter asked, "Just bananas or also strawberries?" I deferred to Serena the Expert... "Plus strawberries." He told me when busy, he doesn't have time to create this masterful work of art that he made, but tonight he was able to do so. It was beautiful, and tasted 10 times better. I couldn't stop. I didn't know why. Finally, another server stopped by and we chatted about it. The secret is: the caramel is sweet, the graham crust is both sweet & salty, & the whipped cream isn't sweetened at all. The balance is WONDERFUL! Scary-wonderful: "...just one more bite, then I will close the box..."

Thanks, Cornish Pasty, will be back with many others really soon!!!

• Visited September 2012