“So close, almost made it to Very Good” 3 of 5 stars

American Executive Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   1554 W Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85201   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Mesa B&B and Inns
Rio Rancho, NM
“So close, almost made it to Very Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed here and was given room 124. The front staff were very nice. I appreciated her humor and had a really nice conversation with her. I read the review from 206Dawn, and I don't think this was the same hotel. There was no train anywhere near by.
It's a clean place, nicely painted on the outside, especially when compared to the competition. Inside, it's clean and nice. The room is not a two room suite from one of the major chains. If you walk into it with that in mind, it's very nice. The furniture is all pretty standard. The desk chair was comfortable, there is a fridge and a microwave. The curtains were nice and dark, the carpet was in good shape, 19"ish TV. The bathroom is nicely done, but this is a 50's or earlier hotel. There are some warps and distortions in some places. The bathroom was one of those places, but it was clean! The shower is standard for the vintage, about 30" square. Water pressure was good, and the water was nice and hot and stayed at temp.

Now for the things that make it average. The bed was covered with a standard hotel bedspread, the sheets were clean, but the mattress had a plastic cover over it, which was under the sheet. For someone that runs hot like me, it made me sweat a bit. The air conditioner worked great, but it was a wall mount unit and was just a tad noisy.

Overall, for what I paid for the room, it was a good bargain. it's clean, nice and overall very comfortable. Next time, I'd ask for them to take the plastic off.

Room Tip: I don't have enough experience to help with this choice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Had to go to Phoenix area for a memorial service. Wanted to visit Organ Stop Pizza on first night so booked an inexpensive room in Mesa. All the reviews I read were pretty much accurate. I found the bed to be passably comfortable and the room very clean. I could never get my laptop connected to the internet. The shower was clean but water poured out onto the bathroom floor because the curtain wouldn't stay in place. Probably the fact that the stall is VERY tiny and it's impossible to not bump the curtain. Being claustrophobic made this quite uncomfortable.
When I returned from Organ Stop I was approached by a man on a bicycle subtly offering drugs. I think I'll pay the extra $ to stay in a nicer hotel in a better area next time!

Room Tip: Rooms in another establishment are better!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Anselmo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The owners were very rude and did not honor their word (they agreed upon a refund for last day and then didn't honor that). Very dark, dirty and cheap. The shower was broken and shot out cold water. Loud because a train goes by every couple hours throughout the night. For so many reasons, I would not stay there again if someone paid me to.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kettering, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I grew up in Mesa, back in the 70's when Tri-City was a mall and this strip was hopping. Times change, the neigborhood is not as busy, but the pre-freeway hotels still function.

Despite having grown up in Mesa, I usually stay in Tempe or Scottsdale these days, in the newer, hipper, or nicer neighborhoods. But this trip (I come out every year) I knew what I wanted. A hotel near the light-rail. I'd heard it was a nice ride, and that it made driving to ASU or downtown Phoenix unecessary. Why drive and pay to park when visiting the Heard Festival, Spring Training, or the Tempe Town Lake.

Well the Light-rail is cool, and does make some driving unecessary, but you still need a car to really do the valley well.

So I stayed here on purpose, not expecting much. I'm glad I stayed here. The owner was friendly. No one bothered me while I was in my room, sitting by the pool, or walking down to Filaberto's for a burro. Is the place classy? Well, no, but it is clean. My room was fresh, well decorated, had good cable, the pool area was comfortable. My fellow guests a mix of Cub fans, long term taxi drivers, and one night family stays. I slept well, except for one night when the kids decided to play with their skateboards until around 10.

There are washers and dryers and ice machines on site (all at a cost), and there is a Circle K next door. I predict this place will be even more popular when the Cubs move to their new field at the Riverside in 2015 and the Athletics take over Hohokam Field, but until then, this is still a nice place at a good price.

When I left I asked a question I rarely ask an owner. "Can I get a better price for a long term stay for next year on your website?" Yes. I'll be back.

Room Tip: The room location depends on what kind of room you want. I liked the rooms on the east wing best, b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed at this property two years ago and thought it was good but the property has undergone a major refurbishment and it is even better

Room Tip: Suites with the hot tubs are a nice treat in winter
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Norfolk, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed there for one night, got disrupted numerous times at night by people knocking on the door asking for cigs or wanting to sell something illegal, we ended up calling the police as management had locked up and left the facilities.. room was somewhat clean except for the crickets that had came in.. should invest in pest control will not be staying here again. Not worth the savings.

Room Tip: I would suggest to have a look at your room before paying.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We came to town for a wedding and arrived late on Thanksgiving day but were greeted by very helpful and friendly staff. Room was lovely and bright and rather huge and very clean and quiet (except for that train somewhere near) and we were very pleased. We enjoyed our stay even more knowing that we were saving a ton of money. We would definitely stay there again. The neighborhood did not cause us any alarm and the location was very convenient. We enjoyed a very sunny November weekend and it is not the hotel's fault that AZ has year-round bug friendly weather, unlike where we come from, so we did not let a little run-in with a little critter or two ruin our fun.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to American Executive Inn? Share your experiences!