“Where *not to stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Chicago
“Where *not to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

They were all so courteous: The desk clerk, the young man who came to fix our malfunctioning a/c, even the other guests. And the grounds were well-maintained. But our experience went south from there.

The clerk gave us a choice of rooms, but said this particular one was "really nice." It wasn't. We could have lived with the vintage 1980 decor, but it was musty, perhaps from the splotchy carpet. There was mold inside the bathtub faucet control. There were permanent stains on the glass dinette table. The dishes were old and scratched. There were water stains on the stereo speaker. The headboard was not attached to the bed.

Worst of all, for our final two days, housekeeping didn't show up for the promised towel change, emptying of trash, and making of the bed. The manager offered a one night adjustment, to be applied to my credit card. More than a week later, the only adjustment has been an unspecified extra charge of nine dollars and change. Never again.

• Stayed March 2013
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for leaving us a review. Glad you found the staff courteous and the grounds well-maintained. I apologize you were not satisfied with you accommodations. We are upgrading over the next couple years.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Benton Harbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have been a timeshare owner for about and 15 yrs and have stayed at resorts from Florida to Hawaii and with out a doubt the Painted Mountain is the worst ever! Our one bedroom unit was outdated...both TV's had to be 10yrs old ...old dirty leather couches...the front door would not close properly....broken and moldy tile in the shower...overflowing trash by the outside trash cans...trash on the deck and stairway.. and to top it off they wanted 10$ a day for Internet service! This place is a dump!

Room Tip: A different resort
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We appreciate you bringing to our attention the disappointment in your stay with us. We are going through upgrades over the next year, replacing furniture and televisions. We apologize for not providing you with the quality vacation you were looking for.
Brookhaven
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night and booked our stay over the Internet. The attendant could not locate our reservation for quite a while. He claimed their system had not updated. This was annoying because we were tired from a long travel day. We booked this through an Internet special that was a bit misleading. We thought we were getting a one bedroom but since they were overbooked, we had to take a studio. It was an upstairs room with doors facing outside. Old fashioned stairways were used to get up there. It reminded me of an old Howard Johnson's motel. The room was ridiculously small for us and had a funny smell. I will say the bathroom was huge! I wish some of that space were in the room. The worst part of the whole thing was that the people in the room beside us, having a conversation at a normal volume, sounded like they were in the same room with us! We could hear everything going on in all the rooms around us. We called the front desk because we were afraid this was going to be a problem since we were traveling with an infant. There was nothing they could do about moving us. We were told that any other room would be the same anyway because the walls were paper thin in the place. This is really a glorified motel!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize the accommodations where not to your standards and will pass on the information regarding the reservation process and room type to our reservation department.
White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at the Painted Mountain Resort from Jan 28 to March 1, 2013, so I think I have a pretty good perspective on what worked here and what didn't. I made my booking through the corporate sales office of Westgate Resorts which is located in Florida, I booked a 1 bedroom suite for a month. Upon arrival I was assigned a room but was told that I* would be required to move to a smaller studio room after 2 days as they were overbooked. I reluctantly agreed on the understanding that I would be moved after 2 days to a 1 bedroom suite in the back of the property. When the time came to move again I went to the front desk and was told that the room that I had been promised had been given to another guest and that I would have to take a 1 bedroom room in the front part of the hotel, complete with road noise and gawkers looking into my suite as they walked by. I was so ticked off I called the corporate offices of Westgate and told them that my treatment at Painted Mountain was completely unacceptable and that if I wasn't moved to a quieter suite I would find other accommodation and check out. After many apologies and offers to make things right, they finally did get around to moving me to a quieter room at the back of the complex. To make a long story short, I moved 4 times in 8 days, really not a good situation. I would say that the management of the hotel is somewhat lacking and the only excuses for such an situation was that they were overbooked. Hardly the problem of the paying guest and completely the fault of the management of the property.
The rooms themselves were clean, and adequately stocked with cooking utensils, dishes, cups, glasses and cutlery, enough for 4 people. The room also had a washer dryer which was a great thing for a long term guest, the TV was ok but limited channels made it somewhat boring. The pool area was small and could sometimes be crowded but generally was ok, towels were provided at the pool area and there were tables, chairs and lounges all around the pool deck. You are close to grocery stores and shopping and the golf course is a short walk along the path to the pro shop and clubhouse. This is a timeshare so be prepared to deal with timeshare sales people who want you to buy in to Westgate Resorts.....it wasn't for me. Would I stay here again , probably now that I know what I am dealing with, generally after the hassel of the first week was over the rest of my stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize for the inconvience of the first part of your stay and are glad you found the rest of your stay enjoyable.
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a great three star property. I stayed here for a one night staycation. Initially I wanted to return to the Legacy Golf Resort, but this was about half the rate for the night and I figured why not try something new. It looks like they've upgraded some of the furniture and threw some paint on the walks (based on other reviews I've read). But they're far from done. Box tv's, a stereo with a tape deck, old carpet, and dining room chairs and bars tools that shouldn't even be legal. It was very clean, bed was comfy, and I had a wonderful view of the golf course. David Siegel once said that Westgate Resorts is the Rolls Royce of the timeshare industry. I'm not so sure how much I'd agree on that statement, but I enjoyed my stay and would come back again. The $9.99 wifi didn't bother me, but the slowness certainly did. And the 10am checkout time was not popular with my party and me.

• Stayed February 2013
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are still in progress with the updates and changes. Hope you will take the time to stay with us again.
De Leon Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our first visit to AZ for a family event. Got a great deal on a two bedroom villa and couldn't have been happier. Villa was clean and spacious and grounds were well-kept. Finding our villa at night (upon arrival only) was a little difficult, however, we highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We were in a two bedroom villa on the second floor and it was completely private. First floor vill...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are very glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I hope the family event had a good turn out. Hope you will come back and visit us again sometime.
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed a Westgate Painted Mountain resort in November 2012 for a week. I had a studio that was comfortable but I thought there should have been a dvd player for an alternative to limited tv programming. Staff was helpful but one of them should brush up on giving directions. Didn't use the pool but did the hot tub once. My favorite part was the restaurant next door with a great happy hour and deck overlooking the golf course and a view to painted mountain. The bartenders and staff were excellent, friendly and some great options for food. I would stay there again just for the happy hour with friendly people.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for the great review, glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Westgate Painted Mountain Country Club? Share your experiences!