“Don't be fooled” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Inn Iguazu

You added Hostel Inn Iguazu to your Saves list
Hostel Inn Iguazu
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Ruta 12 Km 5 - Cataratas del Iguazu, Puerto Iguazu 3370, Argentina   |
Ranked #12 of 42 Puerto Iguazu B&B and Inns
“Don't be fooled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hostel looks amazing when you first arrive. As other reviewers have mentioned it gives the impression of a resort rather than a hostel. Unfortunately that's where the favourable comparisons ended for me.

After I'd paid up front I was led to my 4 bed dorm. It was so at odds with the initial impressions from the pool you could hardly comprehend that it was part of the same resort. The dorm was small and fusty. The bed sheets had holes in them and the mattresses were uncomfortable and didn't look or smell very clean. Large beetles were crawling across the floor.

I went into the common area to scope out somewhere to move on to and the wifi was laughable. I followed the signs to the 'wifi lounge' only to find that it was basically a cupboard under the stairs, in sweltering heat with no natural light. The wifi still didn't work any better than a dial up connection from the nineties. I don't understand why a hostel wouldn't have decent wifi up at the bar - surely it's best to keep people in the profitable areas?

So once I'd found somewhere to move on to I discussed my concerns with the manager. I had to show the manager the beetles and his response was "well what do you expect? We're in the jungle!". I expect the someone to have cleaned and checked a room before I check in.

Still, in fairness to them, they did give me a refund although I lost my hostelworld deposit.

This place frustrates me because if they cleaned up the rooms, sorted the wifi, and got some decent fans/air con in the common areas it would be alright.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HOSTEL INN I, Manager at Hostel Inn Iguazu, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review... Anyway i can t belive your review... You came to me and told me that you see cockroach in your room... That why i told you that i wanted to control it with you! (you seemd really surprized about my request) Because we have a very strict control of bugs an cockroach in the hostel... I also show you the attestation from a private company who comes every month and who clean and control all the hostel! Anyway... The "cockroach" ... were ... a poor scarab!!!!! Then you said me... I don t know the diference between a croakroach and a scarab!!!... Let me smile!!!! That why i told you... You will find a lot of this scarabs here... Welcome to the jungle!!! I also check your room and it was clean!!!! Your opinion about the bed???? I can' t understand it because you don' t use it!!!! I refund you all your stay and i help you with the taxi.... You book a room in an other hotel using the wi fi...!!!! We can accept bad reviews but we don' t accept lyers like you! Anyway, we hope that you had a great time in Iguazu.

Frank Willieme (Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

On the plus side, the hostel has a lovely pool (perhaps in need of a clean) and a great outdoor patio area. The communal bathrooms are well kept, and the double rooms are spacious. However, the 4-person dorm we stayed in was small and dark and the bathroom was grim. And the breakfasts are terrible - coffee like dishwater and plastic cutlery for everything - so wasteful. There aren't enough staff either, so there are always big queues at reception and the bar.

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

the hostel has a very large pool and a huge common area. the staff was really friendly. our room was perfect (private with bathroom) and very clean. the food
was ok but nothing special and it got a bit boring after 3 nights. you can take a bus to the town/ busstation for 2.5 pesos or to the falls for 25 pesos. a taxi from the hostel to the falls was only 60 pesos (maybe you could even get it cheaper) so if you're travelling with more people i would recommend you to take a cab there. the only thing i didnt like was that, due to a storm, we didnt have electricity or water for 24 hrs and the manager wasnt there so we couldnt get a refund...

• Stayed December 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

First impression was very good. Hostel looked more like a resort, our double room was big and comfortable with airco and tv. But 1 hour after arrival all electricity and water didn't work anymore because of a thunderstorm. This can happen, just too bad that electricity wasn't back for the next 3 days, so no airco, no tv, no wifi, no cold beer etc. Running water also was absent for about 1 day, so no shower or flushing of the toilet. Staff made no apologies and we had to pay the full amount (270 pesos per night is a bit much for just a bed without any other services in my opinion!). At times that electricity worked, internet was often only available on 1 computer. All in all we were happy every time we could leave the hostel when we would go into town. Terrible experience! I won't come back even if they would pay me..

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hostel is good, and provides everything you need. Highlights were the terras and the swimmingpool, and the assado is recommended. We slept in a double room, which was comfortable but practical and sober.

• Stayed October 2012
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

First the pros: the hostel has a great pool, which provides a respite from the heat. The common spaces are big and airy, there's foozball, pool, ping pong, etc. All of this is nice. However, I'm not sure that makes up for everything else.

The cons: My friends and I stayed in a 6-room dorm with an en suite bathroom. The room was dark and dingy, the bathroom mildewy and dirty. The mattresses on the beds were old and dirty. The sheets had holes in them.

Some of the stuff was extremely rude and difficult (while others were lovely). There seemed to be a problem with theft--multiple notices went up while we were there that people had gotten cameras stolen, and the last 2 days there was no internet because someone had literally stolen the cables connecting the modem and router.

I've stayed in a lot of hostels, and this one was one of the worst. I definitely would not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hostel inn for 2 nights in a six bed shared room. The room was not ready upon arrival, told numerous times to wait "20mins" although wasn't ready for over an hour! Staff were very disorganised and uninformative in regards to key deposits, linen rental and towels. When we finally got into our room it REEKED of both smoke and dirty sock which we found nestled under the bathroom sink... This was the room for which we waited to be cleaned..

Food in the restaurant left a lot to be desired, menu was limited with no healthy options. Breakfast was average with rolls as hard as rocks.

A vast majority of staff were unfriendly, unhelpful and unwelcoming. When purchasing anything over the bar they never had change with left us with numerous "they owe us".

That being said the pool and large outdoor area was a welcomed treat after our long bus ride. Dinning and communal areas were comfortable. Computers were useless, must bring own devices.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Inn Iguazu? Share your experiences!