“Great hotel...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa

You added Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Parque Nacional Iguazu, Iguazu National Park 3370, Argentina   |
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Yes this building is old. get over that fact. The inside of the lobby is renovated and quite nice. We had a suite and it was perfect. Crank the AC way down and leave it on. It takes some time to cool but after the first night, the room stayed cold the rest of our stay at the property.

I used the spa services and it was great. Great massage and my wife and i enjoyed the Hydrotherapy service. The gym equipment is a little dated but that is fine. Don't spend too much time in the gym, instead you should walk down the trail and enjoy the waterfall views. And it isn't really a trail -- it is a constructed path with handrails and solid man made wood and metal flooring.

We stayed for two nights.. the perfect amount of time we think to see Iguazhu falls and walk around the trails and relax.

The only downside is the room did not have internet access (no plug in internet). Only Wifi and our wifi signal in our room was a little weak. But the signal in the lobby and elsewhere was very strong.

And yes, there are monkeys around. as the sun went down, about 5 or 6 of them went past our balcony in search of food. They would go from patio to patio to seek out food. Great sight to see!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and remarks!!
It`s nice to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially the spa services.
Thank you for the remarks about the internet connection, it help us a lot to improve our services.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Greek first
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

First I will say that I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Iguazu Falls. The hotel is worn and needs to be updated. But you don't stay at this hotel because it is luxurious. You stay here because it is in the park. Your visit to the falls will be better by staying here. The restaurant and bar have good food, the prices are not unreasonable and the staff at the hotel are very good. Even the breakfast that came included with our room was very good. A room with a view of the falls is well worth the extra money. No you don't go to the falls to spend time in your room but waking up to the view and relaxing in your room after hiking all day and being able to admire the view makes the extra money worth it. HOWEVER, PLEASE CHECK YOUR ROOM BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR LUGGAGE INTO IT ! We stayed in room 330. It was a nice room (needs a bit of updating) with a view of the falls. The bathroom really needs updating and the water pressure in the shower is horrible. All of that was acceptable because the rest of the hotel accomodations were excellent. The problem was that after one night in the hotel we started to have large bug bites appear on our legs. We thought it was from our walk in the falls area. If only that were true. Unfortunately we are now dealing with how to ensure that we don't take the bed bugs into our house without having to throw all of our belongings away. Look on the internet and research how to check your hotel room for bed bugs before you go to this hotel. Then check your room before you take your luggage inside. There must be rooms without bugs because we had friends stay here a few months ago and they had no problems. Hopefully the hotel will take steps to rid room 330 of the bugs since we informed them of the problem.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a room with a view.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu for 3 nights and 4 days. I chose this hotel because I had read that it was located inside the Iguazu National Park, in Misiones, Argentina. Since I was traveling alone, I did not want the ‘headache’ of arranging transportation to the park. Having it at my doorstep sounded perfect and would ensure a relaxing yet adventurous getaway.

I did not use all the hotel’s facilities. In general I agree with some of the comments that the hotel is "tired", but I just assumed this was the way it was in South America. I had just come from 3 weeks in Buenos Aires so had got used to things. I am also a hotelier myself and worked for a 5 star international chain in their Marketing department for many years, so maybe my view was also slightly tinted by my professional background. Actually, I was expecting a lot worse based on some of the reviews, and so was pleasantly surprised when I arrived.

THE STAFF:
The staff at the Sheraton Iguazu were incredibly helpful. The Front Desk staff spoke both English and Spanish fluently and were efficient and eager to help with any and all requests. The concierge desk did not all speak English, but were nevertheless helpful on all matters. I stayed there during low season so assumed that I would not have to book tour operators in advance. I had also read that the park is very easy to navigate on your own. However, I was wary about the logistics of crossing the border to see the Falls from the Brazilian side. So when asking the concierge about tour operators that go to the Brazilian side, he took it upon himself to obtain a list of companies where he phoned every single one until he found me a place (the last one available!) on one of the tours.

THE ROOM:
I had booked a double room facing the Falls. The room was clean and well presented. My only issue, if you can call it that, was that I felt that the water pressure from the shower was quite weak, but other than that I thought it was bright, airy, spacious with a great balcony and the most incredible views.

When reading the price list for the mini bar items, I was surprised to notice that there was a charge of $55 (pesos) for the corkscrew! I wasn’t entirely sure what that meant – was this to use it to open the bottle or red? Or did they think guests would take it? I didn’t dare open the existing bottle of red wine, as I did not want the unnecessary corkscrew charge.

The room had all the amenities one might require, such as the usual bathroom toiletries and hairdryer. It did not, however, have coffee and tea making facilities, which was unfortunate for me as I am the sort of person who cannot face the world without my coffee first thing. So having to put on a brave face and go down to the breakfast area took a lot of effort!

F&B/ROOM SERVICE:
The food at the hotel was OK. I had dinner in the main restaurant, Garganta del Diablo, on the first night. I really enjoyed the Peruvian Bouillabaisse and found it flavorful. However the shrimp salad, which I had after it, was extremely bland. It also came in a very high ‘soup bowl’ that made it very difficult to get the large leaves, slippery grapefruit and papaya onto a fork. I ended up not finishing it because I was too embarrassed by my battle with the salad!

Room service was interesting. The Guest Services Book advises you to dial “5” for Guest Services from your room phone to order. Yet every time I did that, I found myself being transferred 3 times until I reached the right person. When dialing “5”, I would get a very faint sound of a person telling me to dial ‘5’ (again?) Upon doing so, I would be transferred to Reception (but I thought I was going to Guest Services? Or was that one and the same?) I would then tell Reception that I was looking for Guest Services so I can order Room Service, and they would then transfer me through to the right place. I never actually knew where I was transferred to in the end because the final person would always answer the phone “Si”. Was it the restaurant downstairs? Was it Housekeeping? I had no idea. Fortunately, the lady who delivered my Room Service meals was extremely polite and professional. I ordered the club sandwich on the first night, which was quite bland, and on the second night I had a Chicken Cesar Salad, which was more salad and a few strings of shredded chicken, under a handful of tasteless teeny tiny bacon croutons. A bottle of white wine made sure I didn’t care!

Breakfast was part of the stay’s package and was also served at the hotel’s main restaurant, La Garganta del Diablo, located on the ground floor . There was a good variety of food items as you would expect from an international hotel chain, and I was happy to see that they included some more traditional South American breakfast dishes. I liked that they not only had scrambled eggs, but also scrambled egg whites! As a person who power lifts and eats egg whites on a daily basis, this was a great plus for post-workout protein meal!

GYM:
This brings me to the gym area. For my personal requirements, I thought the Sheraton Iguazu gym was perfect! The gym consisted of two areas: a machine and weights area and a studio. I would use the studio to do my dynamic warm up and stretches, but I was also able to take the dumbbells to it from the room next door. As a power lifter, I was ever so pleased to see they had an Olympic bar and hex plates. The treadmill I used however did not work properly. I do sprint intervals so seeing the time as well as being able to increase and decrease speed is pivotal. The digital display on the treadmill did not work, showing random lines instead of legible numbers. In addition, the buttons did not work well so I was unable to control the speed as necessary. On my last day, the hotel was so kind as to let me use the gym and shower facilities even after I’d checked out, as I had time to kill until my early evening flight.

BUSINESS CENTRE:
I used the Business Centre twice. You are required to inform the Front Desk beforehand that you are about to use the computers, in order for them to enable you to log in to the Internet by inputting your name and room number. The first half an hour of Internet usage is free. After that it is $15/hour. That’s $15 American, not pesos.

CONCLUSION:
All in all I enjoyed my stay. Yes there were a few hiccups with things not working, but it was not something big enough to ruin the overall experience. The location is by far the biggest selling point as you are literally a 5-min walk from the start of the Iguazu’s two main trails. The staff was wonderful, I slept really well and very comfortably, I woke up to magnificent breathtaking views, and I had a great weekend getaway. I would definitely recommend the Sheraton Iguazu to anyone thinking of seeing the Falls as a prime place from which to do so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your important opinion and comments related to your stay. The time it takes to detail and articulate your experience of the hotel so well is really appreciated. I ask you to accept my apologies if something in your stay was not to your liking. As you mentioned, our staff is our best asset.
We truly apreciate your constructive comments and hope to see you soon again.
Our best Wishes,
Mt Martha, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here as part of a package to undertake a walking tour and boat ride of the Iguazu falls.
We arrived at the hotel (which is the only hotel) situated inside the National Park boundary after paying our entry fees to the park at the gates.

The hotel staff greeted us in Safari suits and knee high socks. Something we found quite amusing and they probably find quite annoying. Once inside the entrance we could already see the mist and spray rising into the sky from the falls in front of the hotel.

We checked into our room which was on the 2nd floor facing the falls. The room was very clean and comfortable but showing signs of age. The view was staggering and mesmerising. Many toucans flew past the resort into a tree not far from the hotel. Monkeys and birds arrived at cocktail time at the bar to provide much entertainment. Very cheeky and you have to watch your food or it can be stolen.

We walked the tracks to different vantage points to view the falls - all of which were spectacular. We took the nature drive to the boat ride taking you under the falls. The water is latte brown and warm but you do get soaked (even with supplied ponchos) and the people who had opted to wear bathers were probably the clever ones.

We dined in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The first night we didn't eat the meals as they were really poor and unpalatable. The second night was a better experience but the food added nothing to the experience.

There was free wifi in the business centre and you could connect to the PC's there for free.

All in all a wonderful memorable experience even with the suspicion that we were in a hotel that was stuck in a 70's time warp. Would recommend the experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the falls for a magnificent view of Iguazu Falls.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments!!
First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience at the restaurante, your remarks help us a lot to improve our services.
We are glad that you enjoyed the location and the park. You were very lucky to see the toucans!!
We look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely, Cristian
Burien, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

First morning we walked into the park from the hotel. Park opened at 8 a.m. Nothing to keep you going in earlier except a sign and possible fines. For the first 90 minutes it was just us. So awesome.

Rooms are nice. Very clean.

We did not select a falls side room because we did not expect to be in the room that much. In the morning at the very decent but not spectacular breakfast buffet we could see the falls and watch the birds grab bugs.

Wi-Fi was the best on our trip in Argentina. Staff was very helpful. Last morning I checked on line and American cancelled our flight. The desk dialed a US number twice at no charge for me to get help. They also looked up number for American in Argentina and called them for me as well.

Late afternoon after the park closed, we wandered around the hotel taking pictures of birds.

This hotel is worth the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review!! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and specially the National Park!! As you mentioned, the staff is our best asset.
We hope to see you soon.
Best regards, Cristian
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stay here to see the Falls from the Argentinian side. You can see the falls from the rooms on the highest floor, and a short walk brings you to spectacular views. There is no special flavor to the hotel, but I would readily stay here again just to enjoy the views and the proximity to the falls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
It`s great knowing that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and specially our location!! I agree with you, the views are spectacular!!
We look forward to welcoming you again,
Best wishes, Cristian
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is the only hotel in the National Park on the Argentina side and when you walk in to the foyer behind the reception desk are the Falls in the background....spectacular. If you stay at this hotel you do not have to pay to be in the National Park... you just have to take your hotel key with you and they will let you in. It has a lovely bar on a verandah where you can look out at the Falls or the lovely gardens below. In the late afternoon the monkeys come down along the roof and look at us!!
You can do a walk close to the Falls and get some great photos.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful comment!! We are pleased to know that your stay in this magical place was so good.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Cordially yours,

Been to Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!