“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 400 Restaurants in Mendoza
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I had an early reservation at Azafran. The restaurant's interior is nice and cozy. There is a room in the front where you can select your wine. The restaurant also sells a variety of olive oils, jams, and spices.

When we arrived there was another table of 2 in front of us and as we began to dine a large party of eight was seated behind us.

We started off with the cheese platter and a salad. They were both delicious. A good selection of cheeses and the salad was fresh and tasty. For the main course, I ordered the skirt steak that came with a Caesar salad. The skirt steak was presliced and cooked. Although I requested it medium it came out overcooked and chewy. The Caesar salad was about three whole romaine lettuce leaves with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and two crunchy bread sticks on top. The bread sticks were actually stale. I was not too impressed. I was disappointed because our starters were tasty and was expecting our main course to be just as good.

During our starters, the time between our starters and main course, and the main course I did notice the chef was out in the dining room the entire time. He was mainly focused on entertaining the large table behind us. By the time we had completed our meal he did come by and asked us how everything was. By then I felt it was too late and that we were not very high on his priority and that he only asked us how we were doing so as to not look bad. We were just an afterthought. The service was ok, they forgot to bring us our wine, but eventually realized they had forgotten and apologized and brought it to us promptly.

This was just an average experience. The food did not stand out. It's a shame, we were hoping for a good experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Azafranmza, Gerente at Azafran, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
We are sorry that you haven`t enjoyed Azafrán as you deserve. Anyway, we welcome your suggestions for improvement. We hope to welcome again to improve your impression on us.

Belo Horizonte, MG
“Not so good as I thought it would be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The place is beautiful and the food is ok, but the portions are very small and the prices are too high.

Visited January 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Darling restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This restaurant is full of character and the food is divine. We did not make a reservation, I think they would have appreciated if we had. I prefer to eat outside, so we did, but I have to say, the restaurant is so darling, I wished we would have eaten inside. The steak was perfectly cooked and tasted heavenly. Service was very good. We had been on a wine tour for the day, and had consumed a ton of wine. Our waiter sweetly suggested splitting a glass with dinner. Excellent suggestion. The sommelier came out with his choice, and gave us each a good pour. This place is more expensive than some of the others in the area, but well worth it!

Azafranmza, Gerente at Azafran, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you very much for your recommendation! We`re delighted that our clients have a great time in Azafrán. The next time you visit us don`t miss to visit our Cava. See you!
Belmont, Massachusetts
“Excellent gourmet restaurant...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

In the middle of Mendoza. We had lunch there and it was excellent. Highly recommended! Would go back.

Visited February 2013
Malmo, Sweden
“Great Birthday at a Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel from Sweden for my birthday. Once we arrived in Mendoza, we quickly learnt that our 8pm booking would mean an empty restaurant (due to everyone eating so late!!). The restaurant gladly moved the reservation back an hour, to allow us to explore the city and have a drink. There is no wine menu - you choose the wine from their own wine cellar where an amazing variety of wines sorted by grape and price. The quality was fantastic, and the prices extremely reasonable. The food was great (surf and turf steak) and likewise the service. Highly recommended if you drop through Mendoza..

• Visited December 2012