“Best Currency Exchange (temporary)” 4 of 5 stars

Aristides Villanueva 521, Mendoza 5500, Argentina
Website
Improve this listing
la serena
“Best Currency Exchange (temporary)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

In Mendoza, I exchanged dollars on the blue market at the rate of 8 pesos to the dollar. The official exchange rate given by banks, hotels, and credit cards is around 5 pesos to the dollar. The unofficial blue market can be found by walking south on Sarmiento until San Martin. Turn left (east) and walk on the south side of San Martin about 1.5 blocks. Men are standing on the street saying "cambio". Agree on a rate, walk into an office, and exchange dollars for pesos. Also many stores will negotiate dollars. My experience was any where from 10% off to giving the rate of 8.3 pesos for each dollar. The Buenos Aires Herald publishes the blue dollar rate about once a week. The local Mendoza paper also carries the blue dollar/parallel rate.

Since the blue dollar/ parallel exchange market is not officially sanctioned by the government, the exchange area and the rates may disappear.

Visited March 2013

Poprad, Slovakia
“BE LOCAL.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Be local ... something I always wanted when visiting new places. I did it in Belarus and the same I did in Mendoza during my long weekend trip. Best way how to get the real vibes of the city. Thanks to Francisco who arranged everything for me, I experienced Mendoza´s places, bars, restaurants, ... and felt like I was the only tourist in the city. And that is what I like ... to be local :-)

Visited December 2012