“Not as good as it should be” 3 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Mendoza
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Scotland
“Not as good as it should be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I've actually stayed in this hotel 5 times since 2002, mostly on business but most recently on holiday. I've always loved its location: right on the main Plaza which always has lots going on, close to the main shopping streets and surrounded by decent restaurants and coffee shops. Rooms too are holding up surprisingly well (as they look the same to me as they did when I first stayed 9 years ago) with big marble bathrooms that have a separate rainfall shower and bath. They are spacious too (we had the more expensive corner room) and comfortable apart from rather noisy air-conditioning. If you are a light sleeper and staying in the height of summer this will be a problem. The Bistro M restaurant is OK and the breakfast is average. Like others I object to paying through the nose for wifi in my room, though it is free in the lobby. The main reason I have given 3 stars (average) rather than 4 stars (very good) is the same things others have commented on: this is an enormous hotel and casino that clearly is a major conference and event venue too. On the night I arrived a massive event was taking place in the hotel which meant the terrace was closed (which is the nicest place to eat) and the restaurant was offering a miserable buffer instead of its usual a la carte. Staff were off-hand and did not offer a welcome that was at all positive or friendly, and clearly the focus was on servicing the event. All through my stay (3 nights) the staff did not smile, did not offer to go any extra mile and basically did their job with a slightly sullen and dismissive attitude. Having come from a stunning little boutique hotel in Salta (Kkala) I realise the contrast with this corporate place was a big one, but even allowing for that this particular Hyatt seems set-up for corporate business and does not present a welcoming face to the private individual checking in on vacation. I will look for an alternative next time.

Room Tip: corner rooms are a bit bigger
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Park_Hyatt_Mendoza, Marketing and Communications at Park Hyatt Mendoza, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate your positive feedback and are glad to know you enjoyed the facilities of Park Hyatt Mendoza.
We regret you didn’t feel cared or considered. Every single guest is very important to us and we are constantly working to make them feel this way. We would love to have the chance to revert this bad impression and make of your stay a memorable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

After reading some negative reviews about this hotel, I had major reservations before arriving and even tried to book a few other hotels prior to my arrival but since it was christmas week all the top hotels were booked. I'm a new yorker who is used to traveling first class and usually look for more upscale hotels than the Hyatt. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and the bathroom was oversized. The bed was comfortable with nice down pillows and extra's in the closet if needed. Ordered american coffee daily for breakfast in the room since we weren't interested in big breakfasts (probably because we were still full from the late dinners - don't make dinner reservations before 9:30pm or you'll be the only one in the restaurants dining).

The only negative which has been noted in reviews is the smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby. Also my 22 year old son had a couple of spa services he said were just okay - not great and that the spa did smell of smoke (next to casino).

Back to positives: rooms were always made up on time - I always made sure to request this as soon as I left our room in the morning since I had read reviews that housekeeping wasn't always up to par. I have no complaints about housekeeping. Fresh water bottles (no charge) were left in the room daily and room service came around early evening if we needed fresh towels, etc.

Yes wi fi is free only in the lobby but if you are just a bit tech savy you will figure out that you can log in with the password available in the lobby and then just bring your computer up to your room and as long as you are wireless you will stay connected (when you close your computer you will need to go back downstairs to log in). I am writing this review in my room and have not paid for wi-fi.

The pool is lovely but small so if you want lounge chairs and it's high season, make sure you get down by 11ish or you will have a hard time finding a spot to sit. Don't expect waiter service around the pool but if you go to the Vines (next to the pool) and order drinks or food they will be happy to bring it poolside.

Concierge was happy to assist with all our dinner reservations. The Vines (wine and tapas bar in hotel) is great - no reservations needed. Many nights we sat outside in their lounge chairs and order drinks and tapas for cocktails before dinner. We liked it so much one night we had tapas for dinner which was a casual nice way to spend the evening. We also went to Grill Q in the hotel for lunch (didn't make it for dinner). The restaurant is beautiful and the food and service was great. We enjoyed a great cheese and meat platter (which is also on the tapas menu) and great empanadas and salads. We decided not to try Bistro M which is in the front lobby - it seemed too stuffy for us but we did hear it was good.

Other great restaurants were: Azrafan (fabulous!) and 1884 - sit outside. We found the nicest restaurants to cost approx. $50 us dollars per person which is reasonable if you compare to top nyc restaurants. We are also going to a local casual place tonight called The Taco bar (had enough malbac and heavy meals) which I see has no reviews so I will try to review this and the others later - great local restaurant.

Activities...One evening we took a cooking class with chef Laia, which was a great experience, fun and different - located around the corner from the hyatt. You can find her on the web: mendozawineconnection.com. Our group of five joined another couple which was fun for all of us.
-We also had a fun time rafting on the mendoza river thru Argentinarafting.com.
-And of course we spent 2 of our 6 days here visiting winery's. We had a great driver - Gustavo (email address: delucchigustavop@yahoo.com.ar) who has great vineyard contacts and knows so much about wine and so much more. We visited the following wineries which were all wonderful: Catena Zapata (our favorite), Trivento, Cobos, Terrazas, Alta Vista, Mendel and lunch at Zucardi.

Room Tip: didn't get the rooms with views - didn't think it was necessary since we weren't in the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Honestly, it is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful city. But it is the little things. Paying Park Hyatt money you don't expect to get nickel and dimed. First off, there should be free wi-fi in the rooms, not just in the lobby. Paying an extra $10 when you are already in for $300 is just annoying. Most aggravatingly, we got in around midnight and our room rate did not include the breakfast buffet. When we decided the next morning we wanted it we were told since we didn't order it before midnight we would have to pay an extra 40 pesos each ($10 or so) compared to what we had been quoted. We didn't get the buffet. In comparison when a similar situation arose at the W Santiago they quickly adjusted everything no questions asked. I just don't understand why a hotel would try to project a luxury brand and then act like a discount provider trying to surcharge things everywhere. These two things happened fairly soon after our check in and tainted my opinion of the hotel the rest of the way despite it's facilities. Also, it seemed unusual to me that no card access was required to run the room elevators even though they were about fifty feet from the public casino.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Great location, near restaurants , shopping and the central park. Very attentive staff, good breakfast, nice wine store in the hotel. Room was comfortable and bathroom is very large with a rain shower and plenty of room to store toiletries etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Danville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights while wine tasting (too long- 3 nights, at most, is all you need). The hotel is the most upscale in the area, has beautiful pool, bars, restaurants and the rooms are quite nice. But the staff is ice cold. No smiles, no greetings, it's like they are doing you a favor by being there. Not a pleasant feeling. Not sure I could recommend another hotel in downtown that is as nice though. Just be forewarned!

Took two wine tasting tours that I have reviewed separately. Trout and Wine and Ampora. Both excellent although Trout and Wine got my vote for most upscale wineries with best tastings.

Hopefully you are really into beef when you come here because the options, other than beef, are really limited. Although Argentina beef is world famous, they also like to serve it like pot roast, so be specific how you like it done, or you will be cutting it with a saw!!!

Coming from the Napa Valley region, we enjoyed the local wine, but look forward to returned home to our tried and true California wines!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have stayed at many Park Hyatts and this one is nothing like the previous experiences. It is good value for money but the service is very mediocre.

The hotel lobby looks like a convention center with too much traffic at all times. My take on this hotel is that because they are so busy they cannot afford to build guest relationship like most other locations.

Room was a good size. Very well located close to the plaza.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you very much for your time to share your experience. We regret we failed to meet your expectations. Every single guest is extremely important to us and we constantly work to make them feel this way. We will work on this to continue providing excellence to all our guests.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've been to Mendoza with my husband for a weekend holiday recently and stayed at Park Hyatt Mendoza. I booked a room with Andes mountains's view. The room is very nice, minimalistic style, great huge bathroom, with separate tub and shower, nice amenities too. The hotel owns a casino, which I didn't been to, and a complete gym, great spa. Breakfast was included in my rate, not the best I've seen, but quite good. For dinner, we've been to Bistro M, excellent choice, good food and good wine list. All in all, very good attention from the staff in every hotel area. I would go back again. The city is not so nice, but if you rent a car, there are beatiful places to visit, such as winerys, most are in Lujan de Cuyo, Ruca Malen winery is located there and it's really lovely. We had lunch at Salentein winery which is located in another area, Valle de Uco, excellent choice! But it's better to make a reservation. If the idea is spending the night in the middle of nothing....two miles away from the restaurant there is an Inn... just peace and birds' singing, a lot of green and Andes' mountain view. Another excursion that worth doing is to Potrerillos and Uspallata, the mountain road that leads there is amazing. But it's a winding road, so drive carefully. Hope find this review helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Hyatt Mendoza? Share your experiences!