“They're on to it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 89 Hotels in Mendoza
Brisbane, Australia
“They're on to it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

OK ... so here's the thing ... the Sheraton in Mendoza has a few 'issues' ... the hotel is getting a tad tired and needs a bit of TLC .. however ... they know it and they are doing everything in their power to fix it. I initially was only going to stay for 1 night in Mendoza ... chose the Sheraton because of the location ... easy access to walk everywhere in Mendoza ... ended up booking for two nights though because of travel plans. Had a few issues on the first day/night and decided ... rather than moan about them AFTER I left .. I would send of a quick email to the manager on duty then and there. Let me tell you .. my email was acknowledged within 30 minutes and within an hour I was sitting with the duty manager Jorge (who was wonderful) going through all I felt was right and wrong (and there is a lot right I have to say) with this hotel.
Bottom line ... it ain't a 5Star as we know it .. but they are getting there .. love love love the art work in the hotel, the staff are friendly and helpful and almost all of them speak English ... of varying degrees ... AND they patiently put up with my terrible terrible Spanglish.
I'm giving A for Effort, B- for quality and Standard and a C for food!
Hope this helps.

PS Ended up staying 3 nights ... and even in that time I saw an improvement in the areas that I had discussed with Jorge ... left the hotel .. early in the morn to catch a bus over the Andes with a BIG smile on my face ... overall an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Don't bother with a Club Room ..... not up to International Club room standards.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been at Sheraton Mendoza and having read the reviews of many travelers, after booking there I was afraid. Being a Starwood Member I was given a room at the Club floors. The sunrise and the sunset were breathtaking.
Hotels in Argentine are pricey and at Mendoza more. It shouldn¨t be like that but it is like that. You have to pay a lot and obtain not a very good service. I would say is the Argentinian way.And Mendoza is very expensive city.It is true that hotels there are very expensive for the service they offer. Said that I can assert that the service at the Sheraton Mendoza is great.
Welcoming cup of wine when arriving at the place, late in the evening.
Breakfast place at the 17th is wonderfull: views of the mountains when having the morning meal. It is true it is not quite varied but it is OK.
Pool place and the Gym are beautiful, quite clean and the only critic I could do is the operating time. Having been at Sheraton out of Argentina, I know that the Fitness center is expected to be open all day. Personally, I love to make gym before having breakfast and opening at 8 or 7 forbides this. It would be an improvement to fix operating times.
I disagree with the opinion of other travelers about the Club Lounge. Coffee and tea free, sandwiches, little cups of desserts is more than I have found in many other Club Lounges where I have been. If people go there to have dinner is another question. It is just a free refreshment in a very nice place, with comfortable sofas and a big TV screen.
The room was spacious, with light from outside and many lamps and lights inside. Bed lights are great for reading.
Bathroom is nice though the shower needs something to put Shampoo and conditioner.It has many drawers to tide your things. Many other have told about the bathroom smell. It has some kind of smell but it is not as much as it is said. Frosted glass I loved it because in this way the bathroom has natural light during day but it is true I was alone at the room.
Hosekeeping is done early during morning. It is true that they do not include everything. Amenities vary in the three days and I think supervision there is due. The same about towells and bath carpet. I have one only the first day.
Anyway and in spite of this flaws everybody at the hotel was kind and receptive.
People at the Lobby's restaurant was very kind. Food and wiine , wonderfull but rather expensive. A cup of wine (it was really a big cup) was at $60( 10 dollars? You never know with Argentinian change). Too expensive in the wine province, isn´t it? But it was a very good taste wine!!
Briefly: a very good place to stay in Mendoza. Only needs some little adjustments.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the upper floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Having stayed in a number of (non US) Sheratons recently I found this property to be pretty much in line. Very comfortable bed, nice sized room, overall a clean and well environment. Small things keep this from receinving a higher rating from me.....
Service was lacking at times, slow or non existant and slightly rude---but not the front desk staff, they were very nice. The bathroom could have been cleaner, I dont like seeing mold in the shower area and the BR ammenities were skimpy and inconsistant....Wouldnt mind just one more English speaking TV channel piped in.... there was just one? Thats just me..... Great location, nice pool, nice gym......overall very comfortable as expected....

Room Tip: request a room facing the mountains, very nice color filled sunsets
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
PatricioCarvallo, Gerente at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mr/Mrs,

Thank you for staying with us. We work hardly to improve our service quality and guest service. Your opinion and suggestions help us in this mision.

Looking foward to have you with us again.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for Vendemia - the annual wine harvest festival. Getting information about Vendemia events from Sheraton staff in advance of our trip was nigh unto impossible. The on-site travel service they referred us to was very expensive for the tickets. Once we got to the hotel we found the front staff to be very helpful (unlike other reviews posted). The room was spacious, modern, and in very good condition - laid out similar to other Sheratons - quite comfortable. One disconcerting thing (as mentioned in other reviews) was the frosted glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. This was OK until one of us got up in the night to use the bathroom - then the whole room was bathed in light interrupting the sleeping party. (Our solution was to use our travel flashlight for nighttime toilet visits.) The breakfast buffet wes quite nice - many choices (hot and cold), all high quality. The hotel is conveniently located for downtown activities - the main plaza is within wasy walking distance. However, be careful, another guest staying there had their camera snatched at one of the plazas in broad daylight.
Working with housekeeping was an adventure - every day something was not included with the maid's visit - either washcloths, tissues, lotion, etc. had to be requested. A discussion with the housekeeping supervisor along with a tip seemed to help.
For those of you who have access to the Club Lounge - the Lounge is not attended during the day and only for deliveries in the evening. This meant that dirty dishes were left on tables and refreshments and dishes were not replenished. A modest amount of food was provided at evening hors d'oeuvres and was quickly consumed. Calls downstairs sometimes resulted in more. All of the guests using the Lounge were complaining regularly - to each other and to staff. Based on other reviews this is an ongoing problem unheeded by the management. One of the guests complained about the service and was told wine would be provided. The staff person delivering the wine broke the cork and couldn't remove it - no further wine was offered. At another time, guests were told that wine was not available in the Lounge.

Room Tip: Try to get a mountain view room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

A decent hotel under the Sheraton brand. The location is within walking distance from the Plaza Independencia and main restaurant area if the city. Overall a good hotel but lots of small details prevent it from being great. Service is OK, breakfast is limited, Sunday brunch is not worth the price. The pool and gym are Good and there is a nice sunning area. The rooms are a nice size, Internet is not free but has a decent performance. I found a number of maintenance issues that really could be fixed (bathroom door did not shut, show soap tray falling off the wall, outside window needs to be propped open etc. ) Overall I would recommend staying here but be prepared for a few shortcomings.

• Stayed March 2013
PatricioCarvallo, Gerente at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Mr.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions, we are going to manage them in the correct department in order to correct our mistakes. We work hard to provide a high quality service, trying to created uniques experiences for our guest during their visit to the city of Mendoza.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

But I should have obviously know that, we were let down by another hotel and at the last minute booked the Sheraton.
Having stayed in other Sheraton hotels I expected a little more than what we got.
No staff to be seen on arrival, a very unfriendly welcome at the desk and a very underwhelming room.
It's such a bland hotel, it's just you hope that in these big hotels the service will make up for it!
On our first day we decided to relax and go to the pool, the pool was shut, we were promised it would be open later.. It never opened and 3 days later we were still left with dry swimsuits.
We got a shrug of the shoulders when we mention it and that was the general reaction we got from every member of staff.
We will never book a Sheraton again, not worth the risk!

• Stayed April 2012
PatricioCarvallo, Gerente at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Mr/Mrs,

We are sorry to heard about your poor experience at our hotel. We work hardly to provide our guest a high quality service and a wonderful stayed.

We hope we will be able to make up you for the inconveniences you encountered during your stayed.

Regards
Ft. Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were staying at another hotel when we spotted the Sheraton and proceeded to leave our hotel and move to the Sheraton. The Sheraton is in a great location accessible to tour operators, shops, cafe's, restaurants, rental cars, pharmacy, gas station and banks. The quality of the rooms is pure Sheraton, spacious rooms, plush rugs, great mattress, high count bed linens. Breafast was included and what a feast, breads, crossaints, multitude of cereals, yogurt, cold cuts, fresh fruits, dry fruits, eggs, - something for everyone. The lunch buffet was delicious with such variety of salads and fresh juices I did not get to the hot food. The front desk was wonderful and informative and helpful when we were looking to transfer here. The pool is beautiful and the gym has many ultra modern machines. My only complaint is that it did not have and iron in the room and that lack of towels. Is there a trend not to use washcloth? On our first day we had two bath towels and two hand towels, the next day we only had one bath towel and two hand towels- we complained and it was brought up quickely. The second day we had only one bath towel and one hand towel, we complained again. I do not know what is up with the missing towels, but this needs to be corrected.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr/Mrs,

We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stayed at our hotel. We work hard to provide of uniques experiences to our guest during their visit to the beautiful Mendoza.

Regards,

Been to Sheraton Mendoza Hotel? Share your experiences!