“As Advertised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sierra Brava Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cordoba
Sierra Brava Lodge
You added Sierra Brava Lodge to your Saves list
Ruta 60 Camino Macha Km 5, Cordoba 11, Argentina   |
Ranked #2 of 172 Specialty Lodging in Cordoba
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southeast U.S.A.
“As Advertised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a cynic. When perusing the TA reviews on Sierra Brava, I noted that every reviewer rated the property at 5 stars. Granted, they were only 35 or so reviews, but 100% 5 stars? Come on. Having recently returned from a 3 night stay at SB, I can confirm that the lodge deserves the accolades.

Keep in mind, this is a wingshooting lodge. It is not 5 star as, say, the Ritz in Paris is a 5 star. For the money (roughly $1200 for 3 nights of comfortable lodging, 4 days of fine dining, incredible service, and 4 (2 1/2 days, 2 full days) of high volume wing shooting (save shells and extras - more on that in a moment),however, it is simply wonderful.

Once you arrive at the Cordoba airport you are met by SB staff who gather your luggage and load it on a comfortable van. The trek to the lodge is about an hour and a half on paved (and, towards the end, gravel) roads. There is an ice chest on the van with drinks, and the a/c works well. Need to make a pit stop? Just tell the driver. About 35 minutes after passing through Jesus Maria, the closest town of any size, you arrive in the middle of no where Argentina at the lodge. You are greeted there by one of the owners (there are 3, one other met us at the airport) along with a staff of many. Your bags are put in your room and it is time to unpack. I had a private room, en suite. Basic, but spotless and with modern amenities. A/C worked well in the room and there was a ceiling fan. Two twin beds that are fairly comfortable and a lockable safe. Solid wifi throughout the property, though not usually robust enough for Skype. The main house has 4 bedrooms that open into either the great room (with sat TV) or the dining room. There is a pool house separate from the main house with two bedrooms, both en suite, and another dining area.

For purposes of room,board, and transportation, the lodge is all inclusive. Wine (lots of wine), beer, whiskey, soft drinks, food are all included. The food is hearty - think beef - and absolutely delicious. If you don;t like what is offered, just ask. The chef will prepare you something else equally as wonderful. All meals are taken family style and the owner or lodge manager will join you for each meal. The meals are individually served at a well set table - no buffet here. Service is attentive, but not obnoxious. If you want something, just ask. After a starter, the main meal is presented and then dessert. Everything I ate during the trip was both well prepared and seasoned - and delicious.. Seriously, it was all excellent.

Then it is off to shoot. You load back up in the van and drive about 10-25 minutes to the field. There is a guide and each shooter is assigned a bird boy. Most speak good English, all speak enough English to communicate. You can either bring your own gun (a hassle) or rent one from the lodge. I opted for the latter. All berettas or benellis. 20 or 28 guage. All in good shape. The bird boy carries the gun (plus an extra just in case), shells, camp chair, and an ice chest to the assigned blind. Doves by the thousands. Everywhere. Shoot as much or as little as you want. No pressure. If you want to shoot with your group, no problem. If you want to shoot alone, no problem. Then it is back in the van between 5 and 6, to return to the lodge.

On return from shooting you are met at the van by the staff with hot or cold towels, depending on the temp. Your room is, again, spotless. If you left laundry ($10 a bag) it is clean, pressed,and waiting. Then it is time for a glass of wine and appetizers by the pool or at the fire pit. Then a shower and dinner. If you are sore, the lodge can arrange an excellent massage. (The real kind. This is a family place.) By then it is bed time. Get up the next day and repeat.

We had a field lunch one day. Cots, hammocks, table (set just as elegantly as the lodge) and chairs. Empanadas followed by beef, chicken and pork on the open pit grill. Salad, dessert. Wine. Wow. The other day we returned to the lodge for an equally satisfying lunch.

On departure day you settle up after the last hunt. You prepay the room/board/ transporation fee (total, as noted above, around $1200 for my trip) before arrival. Plan on tipping the bird boys $50 a day in cash. Plan on the gun rental, shell bill ($12.75 a box), license, and lodge staff tip running another $1500-$1700 or so, depending on how many shells you shoot. So, excluding airfare, the trip runs about $3000-3500, unless you really shoot a lot. Not cheap, but quite reasonable for what you get. You then have lunch and are driven back to the Cordoba airport. The assistant lodge manager works his majic there with either LAN or AA. Luggage is handled, boarding passes obtained. No fuss, no hassle.

I am sure there are nicer wingshooting lodges in Argentina. I don't plan on finding out, though. If my plans again include a splurge shooting trip to South America, I shall return to Sierra Brava. It is, as advertised, 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our same group that went last year returned this year and we brought two more friends with us. Nothing had changed whatesoever which was great. We love it just the way it is. If you have a small group and want a place that can accomodate 7 -14 people, this is the place to go. From the moment Fredericko picked us up in Cordoba, everything went great! Federicko spoke excellent English and was very helpful driving us from Cordoba to the lodge and helping us check in at the airport in Cordoba when we came back from their sister lodge, Paloma Bravo.

When you pull up to the lodge and see the staff outside to greet you, it is a very warm feeling coming back. Zeke showed us a super time as well as Topo and J.J. Zeke is the perfect man for running the lodge. He will do whatever you need to make sure you are a happy hunter. Raul is still the best cook I have ever met and can even handle people that are on special diets. Raul went all out for me and I know we all must have gained 5-10 pounds with his wonderful cooking. I would say he is a 5 star chef. He always has a grin on his face and presents the food like you would see in a very expensive restaurant.

Soledad lined up everything like the year before and coordinated everything with Brigitte, who works for Travelcorp; who takes care of all of the fights. They both did a super job lining up this trip like we knew they would. Soledad was always available to answer any question we have as we were getting closer to our departure date for Argentina. She is a real asset to Flyways.

Every staff member of the lodge gives the best service you can imagine. We love the way the lodge is situated and decorated with the long dinner table right in the middle of the lodge. They always served their great house Malbec and had whatever liquor we wanted at the bar including Legui, a sweet after dinner drink, that we liked the year before.

The hunting was incredible like it was last year. Our bird boys are so great. They work so hard to make sure that each and every one of us would have the best hunting experience of our lifetime. Sometime we had to move to get to the right spot and the bird boys were always eager to get their machetes out and make new blinds; no matter how many times it may be needed. I think the bird boys get as excited as we do; especially if we are trying to get a certain number of doves. It was actually difficult telling our bird boys good bye. We had become even closer friends our second trip. Jorge is my amigo.

The guns that they have for rent are in perfect condition thanks to Martin and Jorge. These bird boys did want us to lift a finger and were always getting more shells or whatever needed to be done with a huge smile on their face.

The rooms are fantastic. Each room has its own shower. The way the living room is decorated reminds me of a lodge in Africa. We slept great when we were in the rooms. We were pretty much on the go all of the time. My buddie and I did sleep in one morning and miss a hunt to give our shoulders a rest one morning but we both got a massage since we did not hunt. That was a great compromise!

You come back from a hunt and meet Zeke or one of the pretty women on the staff with a hot towel to wash your face. Then you put your stuff up and go sit by the fire where they have happy hour set up by the pond with delicious appetizers. It is a very tranquil setting.

I have chronic shoulder problems so got the best massages from Miriam. All of the massueses did an incredible job according to my friends and came every night to help us get through all of the effort of shooting all day. So you come back from a hunt, have a drink, get a massage or hang out by the fire and chill out until you have an incredible dinner.

I can`t imagine staying in any other place but Sierra Brava because it has everything I want: a beautiful lodge; incredible service; wonderful staff; great accomodations and unreal hunting. It doesn`t get any better than that!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. The only comment I heard was that the room closest to the bird boys wa...
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My friend Steve and I just returned from Sierra Brava. The trip exceeded our expectations in every way. The dove hunting was steady with more birds than we could keep up with on every hunt. The food was better than any hotel or restaurant I can remember. The staff was attentive, personable and fun to be around.

Thank you Topo, Zeke, Chef Nacho, Matthew, Jose, Freddie and all the staff at Sierra Brava.

-Wayne

Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Second year in a row.....My opinion is still WOW!!! The staff is excellent, the bird boys have became good hunting friends. Raul is a wonderful Chef.

If you want to have an excellent vacation with good folks and great food, then try Sierra Brava Lodge.

We will be back next year, that's for sure!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

9 kiwi hunters were hosted at Sierra Brava in September 2013. Facilitles, service, staff and food were all superb. The wing shooting has to be experienced to be believed. There is an absolutely huge population of doves in this area and we shot twice each day. Temperatures at this time of year ranged from an unseasonable 44 deg down to 21 deg. Each hunter has a local guide "bird boy" for the duration of the stay. All are great characters and add an entertaining element to the outstanding hunting. Solid footwear is a must and be prepared to shoot more than you can imagine is possible. I can thoroughly recommended this experience. Thank you to Topo and the SB team. Carl

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was our first hunting trip in Argentina , we where all from Lebanon , it was a trip to remember , everything was great ,the staff where great they make you feel you are home , the lodge , the fields , the food , I mean I tried to find any mistake , I couldn't , the price was as we calculated not a penny more .
All I want to say , Sierra brava is the best lodge to visit , I don't need to try another, it's 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My 6 or 7th trip to Sierra Brava and it just keeps getting better. We came in a party of seven and the food,service, bird shoot couldn't have been better. Thank you Zeke and JuanJo for everything. See you next year.
Cliff W.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sierra Brava Lodge? Share your experiences!